Whats better XJ with I6 or ZJ with V8 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Whats better XJ with I6 or ZJ with V8

Poison spyder items @ oconee off road 706 534 9955Poison Spyder from CCOR!JEEP Gear Change Packages From ROCKRIDGE 4WD. We Are DIFF

Unread 07-17-2013, 11:57 AM   #1
amjandert
1995 ZJ 

Whats better XJ with I6 or ZJ with V8

I want to see what the ZJ guys have to say:
THANKS FOR THE HELP
I need to pull my boat+people+gear and and demo car's on my double axle trailer. My XJ seems to have a hard time pulling my boat around and the rear end humms a bit loud when pulling as well, not a deal breaker but I fear its gonna die. (Let me know If you know why its makeing noise)
I just spent next to nothing on a ZJ V8 and want to know if I should make my upgrades on it or my XJ I6. I need to sell one or the other

Current stats are as fallows.

XJ I6 Country:
225xxx
1.5" rear lift
part time 4high and low
Chrysler 8.25 axle
29" tires or so (i cant remember the exact size)
I was planning to lift the front do a rear disk swap and and lockers in the rear and maybe the front if i ever got the time.

ZJ V8 LAREDO:
180xxx
Bone stock everything.
4high and 4 low (if I keep I would be doing the T-case swap)
I would like to lift it if i keep. How high can I go before I have to major mods and such.

Which rig will be easier to complete. And pro's and con's of each would be nice to know.

I want to do offroad, trail, and mudding.
Like I said my XJ seems to not like pulling my boat (16' fiberglass Larson)
Which rig does better on the trails and in the mud.
Which rig pulls on the highway better.
Which rig is more reliable if not both the same.

amjandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 12:51 PM   #2
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

ZJ with V8 will run circles around an I6 XJ especially if they're both towing something. I towed a 22' Aquasport behind mine almost every weekend back when gas was cheap enough to own a boat.

5.2 and 4.0 imo are about equal as far as reliability goes.

Mine isn't lifted but it's pretty impressive off road in stock form. I think a lot of that comes from the 5.2's low end torque.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:10 PM   #3
sebian
1995 ZJ 

V8 definitely! About the same mpg, and far better for towing. The NP249 t-case is not a bad t-case, so as long as the viscous coupler is still working, there is really no need to swap it out. I believe 3" is the cut-off for lifting before you are required to go long arm and adjustable track bars. That should also allow you to run 32"x10.5" tires.

If you have not done so already, plan on replacing the plenum pan gasket, along with the intake gaskets. When doing that, it is also a good time to replace any other hoses under the hood, especially the small coolant bypass hose behind the water pump.

List of parts not replaced yet:
sebian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:17 PM   #4
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

The only place an XJ is superior to a ZJ is in turning radius and the bulletproof AW4. I've owned both. The ZJ has more room inside (both cargo and rear seat), better ride (coils all around), better brakes (on the 96-98 at least, disc in the rear), better roof rack, better seats, more power (on the 5.2L).

The only places the ZJ lacks in is its inability to almost fold the front tires 90* in a turn like the XJ does, and the paper filament transmissions in comparison to that indestructible AW4.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 01:22 PM   #5
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

ZJ is so much better. better ride, more cargo room, ALOT more towing power, etc. 93-95 ZJs with the v8 have the stronger 46RH transmission, probably the best transmission offered in a ZJ other than the 46RE in the 5.9 limited.

and you couldve gotten rear discs as early as 94 on a limited, then on anything in 95.
Unread 07-17-2013, 08:57 PM   #6
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

WEll if you ask mmooosst zj guys, we're gonna say go zj. Though I do love the body style of the xj. V8 is always a nice plus

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 09:17 PM   #7
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

if it was between a I6 XJ and a I6 ZJ, id take the XJ hands down. but the v8 makes all the difference
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:18 PM   #8
Roskoe
1998 ZJ 

Had a V8 ZJ and now I have a I6 ZJ , Get the 8 and stop fooling around , Plus leafs suck in the rear

I hate when old people poke me at weddings, point and whisper, "You're next." So I've started doing the same thing to them at funerals
Roskoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2013, 10:25 PM   #9
MyKeyB
1997 ZJ 

What are you looking for? Had a 93 Country XJ and it was a beast. Easy to work on and nice to drive. I have a 97 Orvis and it seems pretty bad ***. I have not owned or driven it enough to tell. The GC has more cargo room, more passenger space, way more power, worse gas consumption, and more creature comforts. It's nice and I prefer it but it's also a lot more to go wrong. An XJ is simple compared to a Grand. Guess they called it grand for a reason...
But it'll most likely have "grand" problems.
Unread 07-17-2013, 11:10 PM   #10
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyKeyB View Post
What are you looking for? Had a 93 Country XJ and it was a beast. Easy to work on and nice to drive. I have a 97 Orvis and it seems pretty bad ***. I have not owned or driven it enough to tell. The GC has more cargo room, more passenger space, way more power, worse gas consumption, and more creature comforts. It's nice and I prefer it but it's also a lot more to go wrong. An XJ is simple compared to a Grand. Guess they called it grand for a reason...
But it'll most likely have "grand" problems.
the ongoing joke in auto shop at school is that its called a "grand" cherokee because everytime something breaks, it costs a grand to fix
Unread 07-18-2013, 03:29 PM   #11
amjandert
1995 ZJ 

Well you guys have some mixed feelings on this I see. Thanks for the input so far more is welcome. After asking the ZJ and XJ guys I find that everyone is going to mostly just defend their model. But what I think it comes down to is do I want an easy ride to work on and better MPG with the xj or do I want to pay a bit more in repairs but have the comforts and a bit more power in the ZJ.

I am a cheep guy so it's looking like xj is winning on my end.
amjandert is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:04 PM   #12
zj97ltd
1993 ZJ 

Just for pure curiosity I looked up 0-60 times for what I have (97 V8 ZJ) and what I looked at a couple days ago (00 XJ 4.0). The ZJ is 8.2, the XJ is 9.3.
zj97ltd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:22 PM   #13
Metallheadd
1998 ZJ 

Well I have a 98 I6 ZJ and my daughter has the 98 I6 XJ and there is no way in hell I would trade her. XJ is a great wheeling buggy but I sure wouldnt want to drive it everyday. Just sayin...
Metallheadd is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:33 PM   #14
MTBlue
1998 ZJ 

I'm having a hard time even believing this is a serious question in the ZJ section...

ZJ hands down. However, if you could drop a V8 into an XJ... you would have one fast XJ! The power-to-weight ratio on XJ's is crazy!

As far as towing goes, apparently all ZJ's and XJ's, regardless of trim level, engine type/size, etc. are all rated to to THE SAME EXACT WEIGHT: 5,000 lbs. Most likely, with the exception of the 2.5L XJ. That couldn't to my sister's Suzuki...
Unread 07-18-2013, 05:47 PM   #15
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTBlue View Post
As far as towing goes, apparently all ZJ's and XJ's, regardless of trim level, engine type/size, etc. are all rated to to THE SAME EXACT WEIGHT: 5,000 lbs. Most likely, with the exception of the 2.5L XJ. That couldn't to my sister's Suzuki...
5.2 ZJs are rated to 6500. 5.9s are rated 5000 because of the electric cooling fan. apparently it doesnt have as much cooling capacity or something i dont know. also 98s didnt have an external trans cooler because chrysler decided it was unnecessary.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.