Whats the best year Grand Cherokee to buy? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > Whats the best year Grand Cherokee to buy?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Clayton Off Road JK Short Arm Suspension Kits~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 08-15-2002, 07:34 AM   #1
BLACKLOCK

Whats the best year Grand Cherokee to buy?

My girlfriend is looking at getting a Grand Cherokee around a 98 or newer model. What would be the best year to get and why. She will also be getting a Six Cylinder because she drives around 45 miles one way to work and needs better gas mileage. I have heard that the Grand Cherokee is a very unreliable vehicle and that there is numerouse problems with them. Is this true? She is wanting that or Chevy Trailblazer or a Liberty. She will never have it off road unless I take it so the difference in offroad capability is not really an important factor in her decission for buying.

BLACKLOCK is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 03:25 PM   #2
Camster

if she wants gas milage i would definitly say go for the liberty. the GC in that department is less than impressive. i know everyone says they are horrible for reliabilitly but i've never known anyone with big problems in that department. i personally have a 96 GC limited and it's been a great car so far. only problem i've had so far is a broken evaporator, but that was under warrantly so no pay for me. they're great cars. i would certainly buy another!

[url=http://www.angelfire.com/nc2/davidpage/Camsjeep.html]My Jeep[/url]
Camster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2002, 08:52 PM   #3
01WJ

Get the newer ones, the WJ's are sweet....
Unread 08-18-2002, 12:31 AM   #4
ddoffroad
1999 XJ Cherokee 

The Grand Cherokee Purchase

Yeah, there are a few rumors about the reliability of the new one's but I have a friend that has had his for a few years now with no problems. My dad owns a '93 and it couldnt be in better condition with 130,000mi. The Liberty is a good idea for gas with the 3.7L istead of the 4.0L. That vehicle was designed for the purpose of which you speak....

Down & Dirty Offroad: http://ddoffroad.com/
My XJ site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2488225/
My Old XJ Site: http://www.cardomain.com/ride/2058746
ddoffroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2002, 11:03 AM   #5
FutureZJOwner

Re: what's they best year

Your girlfriend has good taste Seriously. But the 1998 ZJ and the 2000 WJ were rated the best years by Consumer Reports, but I don't pay any attention to them, b/c what they write usually pisses me off lol. But, we have a 1998 and absolutely love it. I myself wouldn't hesitate to buy a 1996, as a matter of fact that is my plan, to buy a ZJ or a WJ for myself, as my screename says. The I-6 is a good choice, but fuel economy won't be any better than 18 MPG, and that is if she is a light-footed driver. When I drive it, (and I'm an aggressive driver), I get 15 with our I-6, if I'm lucky. But if it is mostly highway, it will furnish 24MPG while doing 65 on a level road surface.

Hope this helps.

Bottom line, Jeeps have minor problems sometimes, but they are excellent reliable, quality vehicles. Screw what you heard and what everyone else including I have heard.
FutureZJOwner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-05-2002, 11:35 AM   #6
luken18r
2012 JK Wrangler 

if she will be driving on the highway, dont worry about gas milage. my 4.0 ZJ gets ~19+mpg on the highway. last tank i averaged 18.something with 75% highway and 25% city
luken18r is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 11:42 AM   #7
DFWStephen

Just FYI: I am 47, have had 4 Cherokees and Grand Cherokees in my life. A '88 (Red) Cherokee Limited 4x4, '95 Cherokee Country 4x2 (married into this one), '01 Cherokee Sport 4x4 (lost it in divorce), and now a '02 Grand Cherokee Laredo 4x4. All have been trouble free. So far, GC '02 is the best of the bunch.

All except GC '02 had I6 engine. I6 is a great powerplant, but 4.7 V8 is the power machine - jackrabbit of the bunch, too! Power to spare. I get 20+ mpg on the highway @70+ mph (QuadraTrac II - Full Time 4x4). No complaints but it could do better around town, but i knew what I was getting.

PS When you're done with your Jeepin' girlfriend, can I have her?
Unread 09-06-2002, 05:44 PM   #8
whitebomber

Find a creampuff '97 or '98. Can't beat the classic styling on the ZJ...
'90/'91 4dr Montero's - gone but not forgotten

Impulse eliminates planning ... that's a good thing
whitebomber is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-06-2002, 08:11 PM   #9
moabster
2011 WK 

I had a '93 ZJ, now I have a '00 WJ. Both great vehicles. I had/have the V8 in both of them. I like the extra cargo area in the WJ since the spare tire is under the floor instead of mounted in the back. I've never had any major problems with either of them. Just normal stuff like brakes, tires, etc.
Bullet Proof Front and Rear Bumpers and Tow bar
moabster is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.