What year 231 should I look for? - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What year 231 should I look for?

FS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! Jeep Wrangler Complete Gear Upgrade Kits with Installs andHey Guys - Extreme Terrain Jeep Outfitters - ExtremeTerrai

Reply
Unread 12-22-2014, 06:36 PM   #1
evan1395
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paradise, California
Posts: 1,190
What year 231 should I look for?

Well driving my Aussie in the rear end accompanied by the 249 for 2 weeks was enough reason to pull my front shaft off again and move onto getting my 231. I read and read and read on numerous threads reguardinflg the 249 to 231 swap.

Supposedly some earlier model 231's came with a shorter front output shaft, is this correct? If I dont want to bother (or atleast try my best) with cracking open my donor 231 case and swapping my 249 front output shaft in, what year 231 would be the most ideal to look for? I

Any and ALL input/knowledge on this subject is appreciated.

__________________
J.E.E.P (Just Empty Every Pocket)
evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 07:37 PM   #2
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,892
Any ZJ 231 should work unless it was behind an AW4 (early 93) as for XJ any 96+ case would work.

Since you have the second gen and therefore NOT the 46rh your options are pretty good. In theory a tj case would also swap.
__________________
1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 31's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, New engine and trans, no front driveshaft, but it's pretty

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 07:46 PM   #3
evan1395
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paradise, California
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Any ZJ 231 should work unless it was behind an AW4 (early 93) as for XJ any 96+ case would work.

Since you have the second gen and therefore NOT the 46rh your options are pretty good. In theory a tj case would also swap.
So no 93' ZJ 231 and any 231 from 96+ on XJ's and TJ's?
As for front Driveshafts, ANY ZJ or XJ U joint double cardan shaft will work along with the front pinion yoke, right? Should I get one that is slightly longer than what I have now? What points do i measure from on the shaft to determine length?My apologies for all the questions, but driving around with 2WD right now is a freaking dream, I really want to get this 231 case all done.

Your replies are always apreciated kg6mov!
__________________
J.E.E.P (Just Empty Every Pocket)
evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 08:13 PM   #4
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,892
Late 93 42re based 4.0's should work, I would tend toward a 96+ to be on the safe side.

Front pinion yokes are all the same, I've got a 99 XJ 231 on my bench right now and it bolts up to my niner front shaft fine.

You will find that the 231 may have an external slip yoke where your 249 should be internal slip yoke. In that case you will need to shorten your driveshaft an inch or so.

Edit: Per the XJ Section FAQ all 96+ 231's are external slip yoke, while I can't find the same stat on the ZJ or TJ I assume that is true of any 96+ 231.
__________________
1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 31's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, New engine and trans, no front driveshaft, but it's pretty

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 08:59 PM   #5
evan1395
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paradise, California
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Late 93 42re based 4.0's should work, I would tend toward a 96+ to be on the safe side.

Front pinion yokes are all the same, I've got a 99 XJ 231 on my bench right now and it bolts up to my niner front shaft fine.

You will find that the 231 may have an external slip yoke where your 249 should be internal slip yoke. In that case you will need to shorten your driveshaft an inch or so.

Edit: Per the XJ Section FAQ all 96+ 231's are external slip yoke, while I can't find the same stat on the ZJ or TJ I assume that is true of any 96+ 231.
Then down to the junkyard it is in search for a 96+ 231
It would be a wise move to snatch the linkage off the XJ that I pull the 231 from I assume.
__________________
J.E.E.P (Just Empty Every Pocket)
evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 09:05 PM   #6
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,892
You need the selector tab but the rest can be converted, I tend to pull as much ancillary gack when I pull something from the JY, can't hurt.

Oh, and I would highly recommend tossing a rebuild kit at it before you do the install. Don't want any surprises after you get it installed.
__________________
1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 31's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, New engine and trans, no front driveshaft, but it's pretty

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 09:18 PM   #7
evan1395
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paradise, California
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
You need the selector tab but the rest can be converted, I tend to pull as much ancillary gack when I pull something from the JY, can't hurt.

Oh, and I would highly recommend tossing a rebuild kit at it before you do the install. Don't want any surprises after you get it installed.
What is the selector tab? Have any pictures? With that aside, is there anyother bit of the linkage I need?
What does the rebuild kit consist of for the 231?
__________________
J.E.E.P (Just Empty Every Pocket)
evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 09:25 PM   #8
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,892
The selector tab is the piece that bolts to the actual case, rectangular bit that drives the shift forks on the inside.

The rebuild kit is new bearings, shift fork pads, and seals. You need new seals and such if you are going to crack the case as some get destroyed in the process. I would highly recommend cracking the case to see if anything is messed up. If the shift fork pads go missing bad things happen. The rest is just good to do while you have it off the jeep.
__________________
1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 31's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, New engine and trans, no front driveshaft, but it's pretty

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 09:32 PM   #9
evan1395
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paradise, California
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
The selector tab is the piece that bolts to the actual case, rectangular bit that drives the shift forks on the inside.

The rebuild kit is new bearings, shift fork pads, and seals. You need new seals and such if you are going to crack the case as some get destroyed in the process. I would highly recommend cracking the case to see if anything is messed up. If the shift fork pads go missing bad things happen. The rest is just good to do while you have it off the jeep.
Ok cool. Can the bearings and seals be installed with a non marring mallet? No press or puller required?
__________________
J.E.E.P (Just Empty Every Pocket)
evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 09:42 PM   #10
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,892
As far as I can tell from the FSM yes. Most (all?) of them are retained by snap rings so the most important tool for teardown is a good set of snap ring pliers.

I've got a rebuild kit on order for the one on my bench, I'll post a writeup once I get it back under the jeep.
__________________
1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 31's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, New engine and trans, no front driveshaft, but it's pretty

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 09:46 PM   #11
MurdaJs
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Location: The Woods
Posts: 2,253
Quote:
Originally Posted by evan1395 View Post
Ok cool. Can the bearings and seals be installed with a non marring mallet? No press or puller required?
Depending on the 231 you might have to cut the caged bearings off the mainshaft. Then hammer on a new one.

Earlier 231s used caged bearings later ones just had a machined surface instead.
__________________
Built one piece at a time, and it cost me many dimes
MurdaJs is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 09:52 PM   #12
evan1395
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paradise, California
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
As far as I can tell from the FSM yes. Most (all?) of them are retained by snap rings so the most important tool for teardown is a good set of snap ring pliers.

I've got a rebuild kit on order for the one on my bench, I'll post a writeup once I get it back under the jeep.
Nice. Ill be looking forward to that write up. Which rebuild kit did you go with?
__________________
J.E.E.P (Just Empty Every Pocket)
evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 10:00 PM   #13
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,892
I went with a ebay one as the part numbers looked good. One of the basic kits that doesn't include the chain is fine. Then do chain if you decide it's bad (or do a wide chain upgrade from JB conversions). The rest of the parts can be found on quadracrap, and if it were my jeep I'd probably just get their rebuild kit.
__________________
1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 31's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, New engine and trans, no front driveshaft, but it's pretty

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 10:22 PM   #14
evan1395
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Location: Paradise, California
Posts: 1,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
I went with a ebay one as the part numbers looked good. One of the basic kits that doesn't include the chain is fine. Then do chain if you decide it's bad (or do a wide chain upgrade from JB conversions). The rest of the parts can be found on quadracrap, and if it were my jeep I'd probably just get their rebuild kit.
What should I look for as for the condition of the chain goes?
__________________
J.E.E.P (Just Empty Every Pocket)
evan1395 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 12-22-2014, 10:28 PM   #15
kg6mov
Hears the voices
 
kg6mov's Avatar
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Nov 2012
Location: Cupertino, CA
Posts: 3,892
While the case is still together (tailcone has to be on for the mainshaft to be supported on both ends) you should be able to reach in through the fill hole and check the tension. A little slack is normal, touching the case is bad, but you kinda have to play it by ear.
__________________
1996 ZJ Green Laredo V8, 2.5" OME and Bilsteins, 31's, Holes drilled in the roof.
1998 ZJ Platinum Limited 5.9, New engine and trans, no front driveshaft, but it's pretty

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Options

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.


Thread Tools






Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.