What is wrong with my 95 ZJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What is wrong with my 95 ZJ?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft tops

Unread 09-14-2013, 03:21 PM   #1
Omglauraduh
1995 ZJ 

What is wrong with my 95 ZJ?

I posted this in the wrong place I guess when I first posted it. I'm sorry, I'm very new to this site. And my phone wouldn't let me copy the whole post so I could paste it here so I have the link. Once again, sorry I'm new

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f27/w...95-zj-1583441/

Any advice you have would be helpful. If anyone can help me I'd very much appreciate it. And sorry if there are lots of type-o's in the post, I typed it on my phone and my 3G was lagging

Omglauraduh is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:36 PM   #2
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

If the alarm is going off when you’re trying to start, I’d start with fixing that issue first. There are two options that I would consider.

1) Remove the ground cable on the battery, keep it off for about 15 minutes and then hook it back up. Use the key to unlock the driver’s side door or the hatch. If this does not help the alarm issue, then go to #2.

2) It is possible to completely disable the alarm on the 93-95 models. It involves removing the driver’s side door panel, cutting a wire and grounding it. There is an illustrated write up done by CLNinja. This takes maybe 20 minutes to do with basic, basic tools.
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:45 PM   #3
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

I think the alarm is functioning good . I think it's going off due to the battery voltage dropping below the limits and being triggered . Done it on mine a few times with a low battery .

Start with getting the battery fully charged or run a boost off another vehicle . Bet the alarm doesn't go off .

Why no fuel ? I think I would first try to determine if the injectors were firing . Keep your hair tied back . use a long screwdriver or steel bar . One end on the injector , other to your ear . Now have someone attempt a start . You are looking for a distinct clicking sound from each one . Of course , a mechanics stethoscope would be prime

Out of curiosity , what pressure did you get with the fuel pump test .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #4
Omglauraduh
1995 ZJ 

I've tried both of those things. I've been researching and troubleshooting both of these problems for a while now. When I first cut the wire, the alarm crap stopped for a little bit. All it had been doing was flashing the light until then though. It still wouldn't start though, and now the security light keeps coming on when I try to crank it a few times and the lights will flash and the horn alarm will beep twice maybe, which is odd cause its never done that. It is possible that I grounded the wrong wire, but I had seen a lot of stuff on the Internet that said the purple/yellow wire. I also completely disassembled my dash and glove box to get to the security box to see if it was shorted out or had a lose wire or anything and it didn't.
Unread 09-14-2013, 03:53 PM   #5
Omglauraduh
1995 ZJ 

It got about right at 40 psi when cranking (it was still broke down when I used that) which is what I was told is the correct pressure for cranking/idling. My boyfriend said he's already checked (idk know that for a fact so I'll check again later with help from someone else) and that the injectors aren't firing. The fuel pump will not kick on but it has fuel to the fuel rail. And it's like it's not going beyond the rail. I'm not very mechanically talented so I'm sorry if I don't make sense lol.
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:03 PM   #6
Omglauraduh
1995 ZJ 

I just can't figure out why the pump won't kick on. When I got it running about a week ago, I noticed it had a really loud pump. Then when I was having trouble starting it again I knew I wasn't hearing it. And after a few minutes of the key being on "on" the fuel pump would kick on and it would go an run perfect (other then a slight miss because I need to replace a sparkplug wire). The pump was just put on before the girl pawned it (I bought it from her after it had been there for about 6 months).
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:08 PM   #7
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

That helps . Have you tried swapping relays ? (located behind the battery , black box . Called the power distribution center/ PDC)

I should note , aftermarket sensors are frowned upon . Not by us , by the jeep itself . Pretty common to see these fail in short time . Stick to Mopar or come on here to ask what's usable/reliable .
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:10 PM   #8
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Also , make sure no wires from the 02 sensor have come in contact with the exhaust . Or any others for that matter . Just something to check , it can cause issues for sure .
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:11 PM   #9
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

I suspect it's either a bad replacement cam sensor or wiring.

Pull the connector off the ECU and check for pushed back sockets. Clean and reseat the cam sensor connector
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:12 PM   #10
Omglauraduh
1995 ZJ 

I tried switching out the relays. I put the a/c relay where the fuel pump relay should be and that's they day it started but the relays didn't have matching codes so my bf switched them back so idk if that means that the fuel pump relay is bad or what. Since aftermarket sensors are kind of incompatible with the jeep, could it still be a cps problem? I'm not sure but I thought if a cps sensor was bad, no fuel would be getting to the rail either
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:14 PM   #11
Omglauraduh
1995 ZJ 

Where is the cam sensor located?
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #12
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

if relays fit in the socket they are compatible.
i was under the impression you had new relays
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:18 PM   #13
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omglauraduh View Post
Where is the cam sensor located?
in the distributor
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

If the fuel pump isn't working , as in you don't hear it prime when the key is turned to on , check the plug in for the pump for power . I'm not going to rule out the pump just yet , Airtex pumps are very popular and problematic . Test would rule it in or out
Unread 09-14-2013, 04:25 PM   #15
Omglauraduh
1995 ZJ 

Some of the relays are new. We replaced the ASD relay and two of the relays that wee behind the glove box. And I'll check on the cam sensor and ecu when I go visit the jeep again. I have another question. Does anyone know how much a replacement key is from a dealership? My boyfriend lost the key and we haven't been able to find it anywhere. So even if I fix it, I can't do anything with it *facepalm*

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.