what would you guys do... - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > what would you guys do...

Want to be able to SEE? DOT Approved Headlights for under We have FLASHLIGHTS! Great for your Emergency bag!Flowmaster Overstock: Special Holiday Pricing!!!!

Unread 05-02-2013, 11:17 PM   #1
srieger
1995 ZJ 

what would you guys do...

So I have a 95 zj, already rebuilt the trans, 3.5 inch lift, 31s. Very basis build. I blew the original motor in December with 154xxx on it. It developed a minor tap I could hear at idle and couple days later...you get the idea. Had a jy unit with" guaranteed" 80-90k on it installed. Over the past couple days, call it maybe paranoia, but I'm noticing the small slight tap developing. Is it possible I got a motor with the same problem as before? This click sound doesn't seem like its coming from the head like before. Its louder towards the oil pan. At this point I'm listening to all possibilities of what it could be via your guys experience. I'm already into this truck about 5k including labor cost give or take. Worst case scenario..would you rebuild or just say screw it and buy a new one? If I buy a new zj ied feel like I just wasted all that money. Torn on what to do.

srieger is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:29 PM   #2
Myusername1674
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

Well, if the rest of it's in good condition, then I'd say run it till the engine gives, then look at used engines and look at new jeeps, price each one. Basically find out which is cheapest. Also depends on if your attached to that particular JEep or not.
Can't help as far as the tap, mines the 5.2. Though it does 'click' some coming from the intake/alternater/top area. Never bothered with it.

My 5.9 swap (in progress)

Want your zj to be doorless in 60 seconds?
Myusername1674 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-02-2013, 11:34 PM   #3
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

No idea what might be causing the noise, it would have to be seen in person for a diagnosis. Since it seems you may not be very skilled in engine diagnosis I would recommend taking it to a mechanic to find out what is going on and how serious the problem is.

Not trying to insult you.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:49 AM   #4
srieger
1995 ZJ 

Not insulted at all..it was that obvious huh..i mean with what I've spent on this ied feel like I lost the war you know? But when is enough enough lol
Unread 05-03-2013, 06:57 AM   #5
deermjd
1992 YJ Wrangler 

Was the exhaust manifold reused when the engine was swapped? I would take a look at the exhaust manifold and check for any cracks. They are prone to cracking near the collector where the two pipes come together near the flange at the bottom. It's possible that you're just hearing normal engine noises that are magnified by an exhaust leak.
deermjd is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-03-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
srieger
1995 ZJ 

That's a very good question. It might have been reused because I remember seeing the long block on the floor of the shop bare so there's a good possibility it was reused since I didn't see it on the original motor. Could it be a timing issue? I know with my last motor the noise got louder as I accelerated. With this one I only hear it at idle. I doubt the motor was even tuned up before it went in. I'm praying that it's a minor problem or something other than its on its last leg already. I'm going to get it checked out tomorrow by a couple mechanics to make sure I get a consistent answer. I'll keep you guys updated.
Unread 05-04-2013, 03:31 PM   #7
flexyxj
2009 XK Commander 

Check the flexplate bolts. Loose flexplate bolts will knock or tick and will make it difficult to figure out where the noise is originating from....
flexyxj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-05-2013, 10:04 PM   #8
srieger
1995 ZJ 

Thanks guys..atleast you gave me some less upsetting scenarios lol

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.