What would make your heat not get hot? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What would make your heat not get hot?

Ring & Pinion's, Lockers, 4340 Axles, Install Kits, BaRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 12-11-2009, 09:42 AM   #1
WXman
2001 WJ 

What would make your heat not get hot?

I have a new radiator, new heater core, new evap. core, new coolant. No leaks that I know of. Engine runs great. For some reason, my heat doesn't get hot anymore. This morning I drove it for 30 minutes to work and it was 17 degrees outside and the Jeep got somewhat comfy...but it never would get warm inside. Any ideas??

'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:14 AM   #2
impuresoul2k3
1993 ZJ 

Did you bleed the system? How's the coolant level?
Modified Throttle body
Flowmaster muffler
impuresoul2k3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:15 AM   #3
StrokedWJ
Web Wheeler

2000 WJ 

Did you replace the thermostat? Does the engine temp ever reach the 195 mark?

Click this -->Think you can beat me?
StrokedWJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 10:22 AM   #4
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

What happened for you to get all those new items in the first place? I don't see a thermostat listed. Go get a new one and compare it to yours. Keep in mind that sometimes even a new thermostats dont' work properly. "Stant" makes good ones.

If you are only getting warm and not hot, it could be that your thermostat is stuck in the OPEN position - not keeping the water in the engine long enough to heat up. Your engine isn't running at optimum operating temperature either.

When cold, a thermostat should be in the CLOSED position. As the engine heats up it begins to open and allow water to pass through to the radiator to get cooled. A good way to test thermostats at home is to put it in a pot of water on the stove and allow the water to reach boiling. Once boiling, pull the thermostat out with a set of metal tongs or large spoon and check to see if it is in the OPEN position.
The largest forum on Facebook for Road King and larger touring models.

Disclaimer:Not responsible for men of weak character.
EisBlade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:30 PM   #5
YJMCBoy
2010 JK Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EisBlade View Post
A good way to test thermostats at home is to put it in a pot of water on the stove and allow the water to reach boiling. Once boiling, pull the thermostat out with a set of metal tongs or large spoon and check to see if it is in the OPEN position.
and wash the pot out before your wife decides to use it to cook dinner and you get funny tasting ziti.
Unread 12-11-2009, 12:43 PM   #6
the88thpianoman
2003 WJ 

Could be a blend door or AC actuator issue as well, if the engine is reaching proper running temp.
2003 WJ in Jeep Green Metallic, 4.0/242/4.10's. 4" Teraflex springs w/ RE monotube shocks and IRO short arms, cheap intake w/ amsoil filter, 2.5" hi flow cat and back exhaust, lots of lights and other misc crap.

Check out my build thread here: Life lessons and budget build
the88thpianoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-11-2009, 04:56 PM   #7
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

OP, what is the highest temperature your gauge reads once the engine has ran long enough to be at its hottest temperature when idling?

Unread 12-12-2009, 07:06 AM   #8
WXman
2001 WJ 

Well my rad had a leak early this year so I got a new one. Then in the Summer my AC wouldn't hold a charge so I traced the leak to the evap core. Changed the heater core while I was in there. The coolant obviously is all new...the level is fine with no leaks now. My engine runs at 220....the very middle of the gauge. I did not replace the water pump or t-stat yet. But if it runs at normal temp then that should be ok right? The blend doors seem to blend the air properly. I guess it has to be the temp control dial..right?
'11 Mango Tango JKU Sport - Mods
'12 Dozer JKU Sport S - 6-speed - ACE rock rails - Max Tow package - Daystar spacers - 33x12.50 Duratracs
WXman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 07:15 AM   #9
ZJPunk98
2002 WJ 

Well if your engine is running at the correct temp, then your water pump must be fine and is circulation the coolant.

This could be a blend door problem. Especially since its cold out (or really hot out), you will notice the malfunctioning blend doors the most. They will allow to much cold air to enter the system, thus over cooling your hot air. This could be why you have only warm air.

98 ZJ 5.2L JGC Limited Sold
02 4.7L HO JGC Overland
ZJPunk98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #10
steeleman3
1993 ZJ 

I have the same problem, never seems to blow hot only warm air at the most. Only my temp guage is almost always at its lowest point, not in the middle
Unread 12-12-2009, 09:32 AM   #11
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

heater core. to replace it, you need to rip your entire dash apart
(Sold) 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited: V8 5.2L, 2" BB, 31" Dick Cepeks.
(Sold) 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 4.7L, Stock.
(Sold) 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 5.2L ,3.5" lift, 32" Tires
97DCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 11:56 AM   #12
Tiggerrrrr
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrflandy3 View Post
I have the same problem, never seems to blow hot only warm air at the most. Only my temp guage is almost always at its lowest point, not in the middle
Buy a new 195 degree thermostat. It sounds like yours is too low of a temp or it's stuck open.

Looking for a REAR tow hook and bracket!
Tiggerrrrr is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-12-2009, 06:51 PM   #13
EisBlade
Web Wheeler

1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrflandy3 View Post
EDIT: x2, a thermostat is needed. (I type too slow)

The OP's, well, if it's reaching correct operating temp then his thermostat working fine. The dash will have to be pulled (passenger side) and, like 96DCZJ mentioned, the heater core needs checking. If it gets hot when the engine reaches normal temp. then that works. Air blows across, warms, and gets blown inside. After that, focus on the blend doors. They may be stuck open and allowing too much cool air to pass into the cabin area.

Unread 12-13-2009, 12:07 AM   #14
97DCZJ
1997 ZJ 

Just actually read the original post, and noticed you mentioned you installed a new heater core, so ignore my last post.
if your temperature isn't at 190 at the least, bad thermostat. I was running a 160* thermostat up until last week, and it only blew warm air because the engine wasnt hot enough to blow hot air.
(Sold) 1997 Grand Cherokee Limited: V8 5.2L, 2" BB, 31" Dick Cepeks.
(Sold) 1999 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 4.7L, Stock.
(Sold) 1996 Grand Cherokee Laredo: Build Thread; V8 5.2L ,3.5" lift, 32" Tires
97DCZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.