What is that whistling/whining noise? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What is that whistling/whining noise?

All Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Santa Kolak Announces: Kolak Exhaust 20% Off Sale!Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed Line

Unread 10-21-2010, 08:58 AM   #16
jlconlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by KennzX View Post
Mine does it when ever irs slightly cold and a little moist. Its my AC clutch. Like if it starts whistling and you jump the gas a little it goes away?
If I push on the gas, the pitch of the noise goes up until it hits a certain point and it goes away. When it shifts to a higher gear, the noise returns.

jlconlin is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 09:00 AM   #17
jlconlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89 View Post
if its an RPM dependent whistle its probably a vacuum leak. check your IAC valve for proper adjustment, check all the vacuum lines to see if one is disconnected or cracked. The only other "whistle" I know of is the transmission at speeds due to restricted flow but thats usually due to a clogged filter and you changed that.

are you sure its a whistle? and not maybe a bearing whine? the idler pulleys make an interesting whine noise almost like a supercharger when they go bad.
It could definitely be a whine instead of a whistle. I'm going to try and see if I can isolate what is making the sound and report back.
Unread 10-21-2010, 09:01 AM   #18
jlconlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by phitmein View Post
"are you sure its a whistle? and not maybe a bearing whine? the idler pulleys make an interesting whine noise almost like a supercharger when they go bad."

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

A Very good point there Freak and the easy test there is to remove the belt/belts and start it,rev it and see if the noise is still present or not ...

Edit: Freak, let's not forget about power steering whines too ...
I'm pretty sure it's not a power steering whine. I've heard that before and it is different than what I'm hearing now.
Unread 10-21-2010, 10:30 AM   #19
Tweaks
1997 ZJ 

I am having the same problem. It's been around for a long time (months) and I have just been way too busy to spend time going after it. I think mine is making noise from the pulley on my alternator. It used to squeak alot and was worse on rainy, damp days and now it just whines like it's supershraged. Does it in park and it's rpm dependent. Anyone else had this happen and had it be the alternator?
Tweaks is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 02:48 PM   #20
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by jlconlin View Post
It could definitely be a whine instead of a whistle. I'm going to try and see if I can isolate what is making the sound and report back.
What motor do you have? 4.0 or 5.2?

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 04:36 PM   #21
gothchick
1998 ZJ 

The noize you are hearing is the sound of the hidden turbo spooling up on selected models of 95' ZJs.

JK.
gothchick is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 04:58 PM   #22
jlconlin

Quote:
Originally Posted by freakinheep89 View Post
What motor do you have? 4.0 or 5.2?
I have a 1997 Grand Cherokee Laredo with 6 cylinders and a 4.0 liter engine. It also has the towing package, but I doubt that has anything to do with the current problem.
Unread 10-21-2010, 05:08 PM   #23
freakinheep89
1995 ZJ 

Check the idler pulley, its the one that seems like it does nothing but spin. Also disconnect the belt and remove it, then start it and see if the noise is gone. that will let you know if its related to a pulley or a vacuum leak.

[QUOTE=slayercr23;12630497]How would i go about Stroking it?[/QUOTE]
freakinheep89 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-21-2010, 05:41 PM   #24
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

If it is a bearing do what Phit said with the stethiscope pipe, unless you have a real one.
That way you are not swapping out pulleys you don't need to.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-22-2010, 05:33 PM   #25
jlconlin

So I bought a short PVC pipe to see if I could isolate where the noise is coming from and now I can't reliably reproduce it. I can still hear it, but it is intermittent. I have to keep playing with it to see if I can figure out what is wrong.
Unread 10-23-2010, 02:32 AM   #26
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

OK, you are going to be brave and use the PVC pipe instead of a hose ...

Not very smart, but that is how I have rolled many a time ...

Hose works better sometimes when you need to get to a sneaky place underneath and around something that a unflexable pipe won't reach ...

When I use hose, I go to Lowes or the like and buy the thin clear hose like on a fish tank, but I buy the big stuff with like a 1/2 inch ID ... It works like a champ ...

When you use your PVC pipe, be sure not to hold it straight out from your ear, but instead have it parallel to your face and ear ...

Go for it, but be very careful ...

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2010, 03:00 AM   #27
Falkon
2004 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gothchick View Post
The noize you are hearing is the sound of the hidden turbo spooling up on selected models of 95' ZJs.
JK.

vehicle:car: engine: supercharger

Internal turbo
Internal Turbocharger
(+1, -3) [vote for,
against]

Maybe this sounds crazy -- but as any engine runs theres exhaust. And that flow of spent gasses already moves pretty quick. So in elimination of a need of a complex turbo, why cant we run the gas flow from the exhaust valves directly to the intake runners? This would improve efficiency of the engine while only adding minimal cost. Let me know if I am crazy but I think this would work as long as we could somehow add a Mass Air flow sensor so that the ecu knows how much fuel to dump in.
— Cardude, Jun 04 2008
Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2010, 03:19 AM   #28
phitmein
Web Wheeler

1995 ZJ 

OK, I just re-read the whole thread here once again and I am thinking Freak is right on the pulley/bearing thing ...

Have you pulled off the belts yet, to see if it goes away when running ???

I saw, that you said, it starts making noise after 15 seconds and that maybe how long it takes for bad bearings to heat up and start complaining ... IMHO ...

I did not see you mention that the engine was acting differently/weird ...

A healthy/loud vacume leak would do that I think ...

Pull the belt/belts, spin everything that will spin easily with you hand and check for side play and end play etc. ...

Phit
phitmein is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2010, 07:14 AM   #29
78fbta
1995 ZJ 

It could be the front pump in the tranny starvin for fluid,it will make the same noise.
78fbta is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 10-23-2010, 09:38 PM   #30
jlconlin

I wish I could give you all an update, but as I said in an earlier post, I can't get the engine to whistle reliably. Since I can't reproduce the whistle when I want, I can't go searching for what is making the sound.

On the other hand, if it doesn't whistle anymore, that solves the problem right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.