What is a Track Bar ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What is a Track Bar ?

Swag Off Road BIG-HIT TJ-YJ Rear BumperAll Bilstein shocks & struts - Lowest Prices Ever and Iron Rock Offroad products - get them from Kolak!

Unread 08-03-2009, 05:31 PM   #1
Falkon
2004 WJ 

What is a Track Bar ?

Just what it says. I guess it's time to show my ignorance, but I see this term a lot and am not exactly sure what it refers to.

I know that control arms locate an axel in for to aft position. Does the above refer to something that controls side to side movement?

Falkon is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 05:34 PM   #2
gatorayde
1999 WJ 

It keeps your axle centered under your jeep and prevents it from moving side to side when hitting bumps.
gatorayde is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 06:04 PM   #3
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

An always helpful picture explains it best.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Falkon View Post
I know that control arms locate an axel in for to aft position. Does the above refer to something that controls side to side movement?
In a word, exactly.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-03-2009, 06:18 PM   #4
wickerham
1993 ZJ 

awesome pic....wish I made it
wickerham is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 03:10 PM   #5
masaffect
1990 YJ Wrangler 

track bar

I have a 92 YJ that I received to place under my 90 YJ body and I notice that the rear track bar is missing or cut out? There is a bracket on the rear driver side axle that is cut and the bar is cut after the joint on the pass side rear frame. Do I need to replace it. What is the function?
masaffect is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 03:16 PM   #6
masaffect
1990 YJ Wrangler 

front track bar

Separate question on a track bar... on my 03 TJ I have a lot of play on the ball joint that is on the front track bar. I had the frame lifted a couple of years ago and I dont know if this was installed as an after market track bar or the original? I have a frequent death rock when my pass front tire hits a hole and sets it off. The ball joint that has slack is a fixed ball once installed, it is not a greased movable ball joint. The play I have when I turn the steering wheel and it is at rest on the ground is approx. 1/16". Can I just get another ball joint which has threaded studs on both sides?
Unread 05-04-2015, 03:23 PM   #7
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by masaffect View Post
I have a 92 YJ that I received to place under my 90 YJ body and I notice that the rear track bar is missing or cut out? There is a bracket on the rear driver side axle that is cut and the bar is cut after the joint on the pass side rear frame. Do I need to replace it. What is the function?
on a YJ, a track bar is not required as it is leaf sprung. it does help handling, but is not a Must have on something with leaf springs, as the springs themselves limit lateral movement.

Quote:
Separate question on a track bar... on my 03 TJ I have a lot of play on the ball joint that is on the front track bar. I had the frame lifted a couple of years ago and I dont know if this was installed as an after market track bar or the original? I have a frequent death rock when my pass front tire hits a hole and sets it off. The ball joint that has slack is a fixed ball once installed, it is not a greased movable ball joint. The play I have when I turn the steering wheel and it is at rest on the ground is approx. 1/16". Can I just get another ball joint which has threaded studs on both sides?
it sounds as if it may be a heim joint, not a ball joint. a ball joint will only have a stud on one side, where a heim joint uses a through bolt.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 03:37 PM   #8
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You'll get better help posting those questions in the YJ and TJ sections of the forum rather than reviving a 6 year old dead thread about ZJ's.

Underpowered has it straight though. You should be able to get a replacement end for that track bar either from the original manufacturer or somebody like ruffstuff.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 06:19 PM   #9
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

Help?
xj-20front-20suspension.jpg

Build thread^^
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 09:15 PM   #10
masaffect
1990 YJ Wrangler 

track bar

Yes it is a heim joint you are correct I thought it was a ball joint. If you can see the image I posted of my current part. It appears to be a metal on metal ball and socket no bushing or bering just the type that you articulate the bar during installation and lock it into place. I dont believe it is designed to move on that side? If it is supposed to swivel at all then the friction it encountered just wore it to the point that I have a lot of space around the ball and this is what is causing my death rock?
img_3185.jpg  
Unread 05-04-2015, 09:19 PM   #11
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

You'll get better help in the YJ section, we don't know leafs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-04-2015, 10:51 PM   #12
MurdaJs
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Yes it is a heim joint you are correct I thought it was a ball joint. If you can see the image I posted of my current part. It appears to be a metal on metal ball and socket no bushing or bering just the type that you articulate the bar during installation and lock it into place. I dont believe it is designed to move on that side? If it is supposed to swivel at all then the friction it encountered just wore it to the point that I have a lot of space around the ball and this is what is causing my death rock?
There should be no play. Just tight misalignment.
Unread 05-05-2015, 06:49 PM   #13
underpowered
Bouncin' on a Budget

1998 ZJ 

Quote:

it does not lock into place. Heim Joints are supposed to swivel and move. they offer a greater range of motion than a ball joint. It is not supposed to have any gap around it however. most likely it is simply worn out, as they do not last very long on a daily driven vehicle. general rule of thumb is they only last about 10k miles.

2000 powerjoke tow pig

Anti-jeep--1989 K5 blazer. the new off road ride
underpowered is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.