What should I do with this ZJ? - Page 3 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What should I do with this ZJ?

Spartan Locker Promo Running now @ ROCKRIDGE 4WD plus FREEG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChTJ Wrangler 4" Rough Country Suspension Lift Kits in

Unread 04-25-2013, 02:48 AM   #31
LunaMoona
1993 ZJ 

Careful about using a 318 that isn't from another ZJ. The starter is in a different location and may give you issues.

LunaMoona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 07:17 AM   #32
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

O really. Shiit. I better make sure the starter is in the right spot. This would be a bummer.
Trick440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:10 AM   #33
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick440 View Post
O really. Shiit. I better make sure the starter is in the right spot. This would be a bummer.
The starter on the Dodge truck motors is on the opposite side. It take a lot of fab to make it work.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:21 AM   #34
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

What the hell I thought a 318 was a 318! I have been Googling this and can't find much on the subject.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:35 AM   #35
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

The accessories on the dodge are on the opposite side. The accessories from the zj should bolt right to the motor and work fine
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:43 AM   #36
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Transfer case bolts up at a different angle too so it might not work with the cross member. Other than all that it's the same.
Unread 04-25-2013, 08:52 AM   #37
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

If you use the jeep transmission it will be fine. The starter bolts to the trans, not the engine.
Unread 04-25-2013, 09:11 AM   #38
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dnuccio View Post
If you use the jeep transmission it will be fine. The starter bolts to the trans, not the engine.
Yep that's true. Never mind all that other stuff.
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:38 AM   #39
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

This guy...
Quote:
Originally Posted by LunaMoona View Post
Careful about using a 318 that isn't from another ZJ. The starter is in a different location and may give you issues.
And especially this guy... , heh.
Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
The starter on the Dodge truck motors is on the opposite side. It take a lot of fab to make it work.
GET THE HELL OUTTA MY THREAD WITH YOUR MISINFORMATION! Come in here and poop on my parade! You know I ain't good at this stuff. You sons of a .......!

heh jk guise.
Unread 04-25-2013, 10:46 AM   #40
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Transfer case bolts up at a different angle too so it might not work with the cross member. Other than all that it's the same.
Negged and reported.
Unread 04-25-2013, 11:01 AM   #41
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Just make sure it's a non egr OBDII and swap all the stuff over. Should bolt right up. I believe the Dodge v8's use different exhaust manifolds and motor mounts so you may have to use the ZJ ones.

What does he mean by "high performance motor" exactly? Are you going to need a custom PCM or tune to manage it?
Unread 04-25-2013, 02:14 PM   #42
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Lol
Unread 04-25-2013, 03:36 PM   #43
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Just make sure it's a non egr OBDII and swap all the stuff over. Should bolt right up. I believe the Dodge v8's use different exhaust manifolds and motor mounts so you may have to use the ZJ ones.

What does he mean by "high performance motor" exactly? Are you going to need a custom PCM or tune to manage it?
go home polka, you're drunk.
Unread 04-25-2013, 04:19 PM   #44
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Here is a Mall Crawlin 5.2 to 5.9 Durango swap. After you get past the homo jokes there is some tech info too. http://mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthr...light=5.9+swap

Quote:
Quote Originally Posted by Grandsrus
Looks awesome!!!!

I have a couple of questions:
Did you get the 5.9 from a 5.9 Grand or just a Ram truck?

Did you have to do anything special with the balancer? I heard the 5.2 is different than the 5.9 in that respect.

Any other problems you ran into?

Very good job!

Good question... The Harmonic Balancer came with the 5.9 motor... use it only, the pulleys from the 5.2 were a direct swap. Also, the Flex Plate must be used from the 5.9 since the 5.9s are externally balanced.

I scored the motor from a 2000 Durango with 40K on it. Its almost all the same as any 5.2/5.9 ZJ. Exceptions are Obvious (EGR on some years) Oil pump has a longer pick up tube than the Jeeps and oil pan has a bulge at the front and thin in the center to clear the IFS Dodge front ends. SO swaping oil pump/pan is a must. The accesory brackets are the Exact same mounting, as well as timing cover etc. I used the 5.9 Distributor only cuz it was covered in oil like my 5.2 version, other wise the same exact part.

As for harness' the ZJ sensors did not match the sensors on the Durango. ie Crank Position sensor (I think) had 2 wires, where dodge has 3. But thats how many of the sensors were, including the Oil Pressure Sending unit, and Temp sending unit.

Its a pretty easy swap for a 5.2 to 5.9 but otherwise I imagine it being a BEAR going from anything else.
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #45
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Used an inspection scope to check the cylinder walls and it looked great. Turned it over without any resistance. Everything looked real good on this motor. Asking $400, got it for $370. Its now sitting in my garage waiting to be installed. I'll put in at least half a day tomorrow.

On a side note, my buddy who let me borrow his inspection scope, this is his wife's 2002 Rubicon with a 1975 bug body.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c5rKZ...ature=youtu.be

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.