What should I do with this ZJ? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What should I do with this ZJ?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wJeep Wrangler Bushwacker Flat Fender Flare Sale at BaselinRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all

Unread 04-21-2013, 12:39 PM   #16
LunaMoona
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick440 View Post
I don't see me making this a 'niner'. If it increases the value I would consider but I don't think it does.

How much is this truck worth if I install a used motor with 130,000-140,000 miles, repair the rockers and clean up the inner door rust?
$2000-2500. Maybe $3000 if you're really lucky as ZJs are not worth much.

LunaMoona is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-21-2013, 01:19 PM   #17
frankcougar
1998 ZJ 

It's worth $2000 tops around my area. I sold one of my 5.9's about three months ago for $2500 and it took me 5 months to find a buyer. It was a great daily driver that was stock and I had it listed for $3000 and nobody wanted it. I mean NOBODY. Lowered the price to $2500 and it finally sold. I can't imagine a 5.2 going for more than that.
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:12 PM   #18
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Ok well I had the day off so I decided to see how far I could get the motor out. It went ok, everything is off except the motor mounts and the 6 bolts that mate the bell housing to the motor. So far I could only find the 2 lower bolts, can't find the other 4 yet.

Is there any tips on separating the bell housing and the motor? How to get access to the bolts or anything? I'm stopping for today. (I spent 5hrs working on it.)

Thanks,.
Trick440 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 04:35 PM   #19
1skrewsloose
1998 ZJ 

If it were mine, I'd fix and run it till it drops. Living in the salt bucket of the USA, shoot, at 250 to 500 for a new 4x4 payment you're money ahead staying with what you have, a pretty nice looking jeep, in my mind
1skrewsloose is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:08 PM   #20
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

the other 4 bolts are on top of the bell housing, im assuming you took out the two that the bolt heads face the front of the jeep? you have to take off the crossmember and get to them from the back with about 3 feet of extensions
Unread 04-22-2013, 05:09 PM   #21
homerx
1993 ZJ 

so u need to take out the oil filter there is one there and the starter. next u need to take of the trans cross member and hold the trans up with a jack and lower it down to reach the 2 bolts on the top of the bell housing. and take off the dust shield. thats how i did my engine swap.
homerx is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-22-2013, 06:56 PM   #22
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Ahhh ok, remove the cross member. I wouldn't of thought of that. Thanks.
Unread 04-22-2013, 10:46 PM   #23
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

no problem. just pulled my tranny a few weeks ago and replaced the front pump seals. i had that crossmember on and off so many times for various things i forgot to connect, i got it down to a science lol. i can have the crossmember off in around 40 seconds (using an impact) and back on in about a minute lmao.
Unread 04-23-2013, 08:53 PM   #24
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Took me 8 hrs to pull the motor and I have never pulled a motor before.

I'm going to look at an engine tomorrow from a 97 Dodge pickup. The guys trying to say the motor only has 10,000 miles on it. You can really never tell with these used motors. I hope it looks good and will work. I think this motor is non EGR valve. Will any 318 5.2 engine fit? Or is there certain yrs I need to stick with?

Heres the motor pulled...

Unread 04-23-2013, 11:10 PM   #25
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

the original engine is non egr, so you want to stick with that. AFAIK any OBD2 5.2 should work though. personally i wouldnt mess with another 5.2, just go to a 5.9
Unread 04-24-2013, 09:25 AM   #26
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

I think EGR was 93-95
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 01:54 PM   #27
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Scrap it....you got ripped at 300.....
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:35 PM   #28
oldZJdog95018
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trick440 View Post
Took me 8 hrs to pull the motor and I have never pulled a motor before.
LOL, I thought you said you weren't good mechanic. Looks like you're doing pretty well to me.
oldZJdog95018 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-24-2013, 05:38 PM   #29
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldZJdog95018 View Post
LOL, I thought you said you weren't good mechanic. Looks like you're doing pretty well to me.
back in the day, if my dad and his buddy were stripping a car, they could have a motor and trans out in 25 minutes
Unread 04-24-2013, 07:39 PM   #30
Trick440
1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post
Scrap it....you got ripped at 300.....
Its even better, it was being donated for $300 tax credit, but thats not really $300, so when I went to pay he only charged me $200. heh.

And listen to this...
I just went and looked at that motor with supposibly 10,000 miles. The story goes this motor was pulled from a dodge truck back in 98 and a high performance motor was put it. This motor sat on the shop floor for 8yrs, this guy bought it and it sat in his garage for another 8yrs.

Today we opened the valve cover, looked fine. I pulled the exhaust manifold off to look at the valves, I couldn't see any carbon build up. Looking into the valves I did notice a small amount of surface rust on the block wall but it didn't look bad and it was only in one of the port holes. Plugs also looked good.

So, I'm going back Saturday with an inspection scope to look at the cylinder walls and try and turn it over. If walls look good and it turns over with no issues I'm buying it.

Sounds like I might of found a good motor. The guy also only lives 1.5 miles away, he's a mechanic, seemed honest and I got him to say he'll give me my money back if it doesn't work. Sucks if it doesn't work, but it makes me feel a little more confident.

Works out I might start installing on Sunday. That would be awesome.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldZJdog95018 View Post
Thanks man. Tearing apart went well, but I still gotta put it back together. ::scared::

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.