What should I do to my 97 laredo? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What should I do to my 97 laredo?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineBill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 07-13-2013, 06:51 PM   #1
1997 ZJ 

What should I do to my 97 laredo?

I got my first car. A 97 laredo. After I dropped 40$ in gas and fuel injector cleaner, and some other fluids, he finally stopped stalling on me. Now I am in love with the jeep. When I got it I was missing a headlight. I went to the junkyard, and found 2 brand spanking new headlights, still had the tags on them. I stripped that jeep, and rushed home. Now that all the necessities are done, what should I do to upgrade my jeep?

NOTE- anyone else having a problem with water in the passenger floorboard and under the rear passenger seat? I am convinced it is the a/c hose leaking. Also I find that there is not alot of storage room in the vehicle. Any suggestions on how to fix that?

203948576 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:35 PM   #2
Compgeek789
1994 ZJ 

If it is wet while running the A/C then the drain for the evaporator's condensation pan is clogged. This is common for many vehicles. Try to power wash the undercarriage under the front passenger area at the car wash to make sure no mud is blocking it. If still wet underneath you may need to clean the pipe out.

And on storage, I have the same issue. You can either fold the rear seats down, or (this is not recommended) pull the spare out. If you still want to keep a spare in there try to find a compact spare tire.
Unread 07-13-2013, 08:52 PM   #3
um7267
1998 ZJ 

congrats on the jeep

check your door seals, mine leaks because i ran my sub wiring through the seal
to the good times and the bad, the family we have and lost, little brother 1988-2011
um7267 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2013, 09:18 PM   #4
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

the water is most likely going out the tube, then running back in because the seal is rotten.

Read this all the way through, it covers all the bases
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-14-2013, 06:05 PM   #5
coralman
green backs to no backs

1998 ZJ 

Welcome to the forum, alot of good people and info reside here. Clean all your grounds nice and shiny. Anytime you do anything in the electrical arena ALWAYS disconnect the negative battery terminal. Crawl under it and take a look at the suspension and steering. Fill out your profile so we know the specs on your jeep. Give it a tuneup if you haven't already. Check all your hoses. Look at all seals. Change the fluid out in your pwr steering pump. Look for trash in between the condensor and radiator. These will get you started.

Links to axle rebuilds, mount replace,a/c box rebuild,ect in history section of my profile page
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 12:02 PM   #6
JohnnyZJ
Web Wheeler

1992 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Compgeek789 View Post
And on storage, I have the same issue. You can either fold the rear seats down, or (this is not recommended) pull the spare out. If you still want to keep a spare in there try to find a compact spare tire.
i'm interested to hear how you came to this very ridiculous conclusion as well as why you think putting the rear seat down is 'not recommended'

as for stuff to do to your new jeep, start with maintenence. new fluids, tune up, replace old worn parts etc. lots of stock maintenence type stuff to do first. then you can throw your money away in modding it.
13' GMC Sierra ~ 2.5" lift 33" MTs.
RIP 95 ZJ ~ 33s built/longarmed/locked/awesome Feb 2014 ZJOTM winner
JohnnyZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:24 PM   #7
1997 ZJ 

Cool

I took out one of the rear seats and folded down the seat. Made alot of room. I may take out the other seat considering it is just me driving with the occasional two passengers. No parts need replacing. Only real complaint is the a/c, but I have no problem rolling down the window. I know how to fix the ac, but its a monster to do and I lack the patience at the moment. I'm putting in a new stereo. I may put in new speakers (not sure just yet). I dont really need a lift or anything considering I dont go mudidng. However, I do go wooding alot. (Same thing as mudding but in the woods).
Unread 07-15-2013, 04:46 PM   #8
dbmorris99
1997 ZJ 

Welcome from another Ga member. for speakers they are 6.5" front an rear. I would definitely look into getting a front and rear skid plate and recovery hooks. I know that the Conley Pull a Part has a ZJ on row 82 that has all 3 of these and you can get them all for $60

Quote:
Originally Posted by 203948576 View Post
I took out one of the rear seats and folded down the seat. Made alot of room. I may take out the other seat considering it is just me driving with the occasional two passengers. No parts need replacing. Only real complaint is the a/c, but I have no problem rolling down the window. I know how to fix the ac, but its a monster to do and I lack the patience at the moment. I'm putting in a new stereo. I may put in new speakers (not sure just yet). I dont really need a lift or anything considering I dont go mudidng. However, I do go wooding alot. (Same thing as mudding but in the woods).
dbmorris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:57 PM   #9
1997 ZJ 

Just a few photos of the jeep so yall can give me a few ideas. Just replaced the headlights. That pick apart is where I got these brand new healdights. Only a week old when the car got towed to the junkyard. How lucky can ya get?
Unread 07-15-2013, 05:58 PM   #10
1997 ZJ 

Okay apparently my photos are to big. So where can I go or what can I do to upload them?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.