What to replace? Ran hot, now stuff breaking - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What to replace? Ran hot, now stuff breaking

Ruffstuff 10 year saleBDS 4-1/2" Suspension Lift Kit - Jeep Wrangler YJRough Country Lift Kits and Parts!

Unread 09-04-2015, 04:52 PM   #1
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Ran hot, now stuff breaking

My 1 year old Taurus fan crapped out on Monday, ran it up to about 240ish. Never hit the red zone. Now with the clutch fan installed and the temp under control, my Napa radiator blew out, Im guessing its from the extra heat the other day... I have a new Rad ordered from radiator express, but in the meantime, should I replace the water pump again? Its only a couple months old.

StPaul59 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2015, 09:44 AM   #2
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Nobody has an opinion huh?
Unread 09-05-2015, 09:58 AM   #3
kachink
1998 ZJ 

240-ish temp shouldn't have hurt it. A 17 year old radiator giving out isn't a surprise, but if the water pump is only a few months old I wouldn't replace it unless there's some indication that it's bad.
kachink is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2015, 10:57 AM   #4
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kachink View Post
240-ish temp shouldn't have hurt it. A 17 year old radiator giving out isn't a surprise, but if the water pump is only a few months old I wouldn't replace it unless there's some indication that it's bad.
The radiator was just over a year old.
Unread 09-05-2015, 11:41 AM   #5
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Sounds to me like you had a defective radiator or a faulty cap. The cap should have opened when it got that hot to let the pressure out rather than blowing out the rad. Or like said before the rad could have just been defective. You should also replace your cap when you get another rad.

I wouldn't think the new water pump would need replaced and they're designed to take the heat.

There's a thread floating around here which believe is from AVR2 with a Chrysler statement saying if the temps get up into either the 220-230 or 220-240 range it's not overheating. Granted yours was definitely overheating with no rad fan but since it wasn't in the red believe the water pump should still be fine. Good luck.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2015, 12:42 PM   #6
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

NAPA radiators have a lifetime warranty, just FYI.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 09-05-2015, 01:20 PM   #7
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by XJ93 View Post
NAPA radiators have a lifetime warranty, just FYI.
True, but no reciept, no service. Plus who wants another sub par radiator and to go through this again later? It appeared that the leak happened in the usual spot, driver side at the crimp. I need a two row for this anyway. The Napa 1 row just isn't good enough. I do have a Mark VIII fan on its way, that should help alot since the Taurus fan blade and shroud is smaller.

The cap is 2 years old and it did its job. Coolant spilled out of the overflow tank each time it ran hot making a nice big mess.

Hopefully the heads are ok. Have yet to check the oil since this happened
Unread 09-05-2015, 01:26 PM   #8
XJ93
1993 ZJ 

You have a bad Napa store then. A lot will argue the point, but if they know you, or heck even look back in their records for that part number, you can still make a warranty claim and get your money back.
XJ93 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.

Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.