What is this? Pic attached. - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What is this? Pic attached.

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 08-19-2013, 09:32 PM   #1
wwcenturion
1998 ZJ 

What is this? Pic attached.

This was laying inside the bottom of my passenger side front door panel. I can't seem to find anything like it in the Jeep door/window diagrams.

20130819_212036.jpg  
wwcenturion is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:48 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

That looks like the bar that goes along the bottom of the glass that the window regulator pushes up on to close the window.

Damn good chance at one point your Jeep had a broken window (seen any popcorn glass in the bottom of the door?) and when they changed the glass out they just dropped the old one in the bottom of the door.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 09:52 PM   #3
wwcenturion
1998 ZJ 

Well actually the current window is loose and needs tape to hold it up, so I am guessing this is the OEM one. There are a couple (broken) white rings inside the channel that I am assuming held the channel to the regulator? I am just annoyed that I can't find a diagram anywhere showing this part. I understand I need to purchase the FSM, and I will eventually, but I would like to get this fixed sooner rather than later.
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:00 PM   #4
AaronButler
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwcenturion View Post
Well actually the current window is loose and needs tape to hold it up...
lol, thats a jeep alright
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:02 PM   #5
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Looking at the parts list , it appears to be part of the regulator assembly , few individual parts available . Best option would be to hit up a u-pull / scrapyard .

PM coming for the parts list and that other thing you wanted for free
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:14 PM   #6
wwcenturion
1998 ZJ 

Newfie, your the man. Was already reading your builds and many of your other posts this evening. Glad you replied directly. Thanks again brother.

Mickey, thanks for your input as well sir.
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:27 PM   #7
Kingr98
1998 ZJ 

Does your regulator and motor still work?

If so, you can use shower door rollers to replace the White rings that you found in the channel. You will have to remove your regulator and drill out the pins that the rollers attached to on the ends of the regulator. The shower door rollers need to be sanded down to the right size to fit in the channel. Just takes a few minutes each by hand.

The jy wanted $40 for a regulator, but I used a $5 pack of rollers and fixed mine. Worked fine for over a year now.
Kingr98 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:53 PM   #8
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

$53.99 for a complete regulator assembly minus the motor w/ lifetime warranty;

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ndow+regulator
Unread 08-19-2013, 10:54 PM   #9
wwcenturion
1998 ZJ 

Freaking awesome, I will look into it Kingr. Only my driver's side window works right now. None of the other switches work. Thinking its in the driver's side cancel button. Going to check the wires under the door grommet for fraying or stretching but I wanted to get these windows secured first. I will verify the motor works before trying the shower door roller trick.

Much appreciation for the quick replies guys
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:00 PM   #10
wwcenturion
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by zachjf View Post
$53.99 for a complete regulator assembly minus the motor w/ lifetime warranty;

http://www.oreillyauto.com/site/c/de...ndow+regulator
Hadn't dawned on me that in this pic for the assembly my part is actually right there. I must have looked at over 100 Google images of this assembly and didn't recognize it because none of them show the black window brackets installed like on mine. Assuming I need reuse those if I purchase the entire assembly?
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:12 PM   #11
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Im sure you already know its the piece that holds the window to the regulator, honestly i would just replace it whats the mileage on your jeep and just think of how many times that window went up and down im sure its worn out if the window part already broke off whats next lol.
xcaliber81 is online now   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:24 PM   #12
zachjf
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by wwcenturion View Post
Hadn't dawned on me that in this pic for the assembly my part is actually right there. I must have looked at over 100 Google images of this assembly and didn't recognize it because none of them show the black window brackets installed like on mine. Assuming I need reuse those if I purchase the entire assembly?
yes, the black clips are what hold the glass to the regulator so you'd basically take them off your old bar and reuse them on the new regulator along with the motor from your old assembly
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:32 PM   #13
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

wait arent those black things supposed to be attached to the window?? Not 100% sure but i don't think those are supposed to come off.
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:40 PM   #14
wwcenturion
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xcaliber81 View Post
wait arent those black things supposed to be attached to the window?? Not 100% sure but i don't think those are supposed to come off.
The black clips are attached to the channel with nuts. Currently, my window is kind of just hanging up by the weather seal pressure and the actuator is locked in the up position.
Unread 08-19-2013, 11:46 PM   #15
xcaliber81
1994 ZJ 

Yea i can see that Im saying that because I was recently swapping my regulators and window motors on the drivers side and both my drivers side windows had the black strips attached to the windows and they attached to the regulators with 2 nuts on either end.

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.