What Material Should I Use for the Oil Pump Gasket? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What Material Should I Use for the Oil Pump Gasket?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options! FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 11-30-2009, 05:11 PM   #1
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

What Material Should I Use for the Oil Pump Gasket?

So, I posted here a little while ago about my oil pressure taking a couple seconds to move from zero whenever I started my Jeep cold. I was told that this was normal, and not to worry about it.
I haven't been worrying until today, when it occurred to me that when I had my oil pump out a few weeks ago, I may have compromised the seal on the gasket where the pump meets the block. This thought was corroborated when I started my Jeep and listened. I heard a hissing (sucking?) noise for a second or so, and then it stopped right as the oil pressure gauge moved up.
So, I think that the failing gasket is allowing air in, and the oil is draining back down the pickup tube when the Jeep sits for a long time.

Anyway, I'm planning on dropping the pan again and replacing the gasket.

So two questions: First off, does my analysis of the noise sound correct?
And more importantly: What is the best material to use for a gasket? Will grey RTV work, or should I use that paper-type gasket material maybe? I would just buy the gasket if I could, but it seems it's not available unless I buy an entire rebuild kit for $30.

Thanks,
CI888

CrazyIvan888 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 05:35 PM   #2
SJZ
Victim of Hope & Change

1998 ZJ 

Location: . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . A shining city upon a hill
The oil will always run back down the pickup tube when you turn the engine off, there's no check valve on the pump suction.
I would use a thin paper gasket, as opposed to RTV.
I don't know about the hissing (if no gasket, it may be caused by pressure, not suction since those mating surfaces are on the pump's discharge), but I do know the oil pressure gauge takes a second to come up on any vehicle I've ever owned.
'98 ZJ Laredo 5.2 Selec-Trac (249 to 242 swap)
'05 KJ Limited 3.7 Selec-Trac
'94 ZJ Limited 5.2 Q-Trac- sold, after 17 years
'67 International Harvester Scout 800; 345ci V8,T18 4spd, Dana 20 TC
'06 Chrysler 300C SRT8 6.1L
SJZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 05:56 PM   #3
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

hissing you've definitely isolated to the oil pan? because the tb hisses for a second or two at start up before the iac gets to the proper position.

my oil pump doesn't have a gasket and they have a drain back valve in the block, not the pump.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-30-2009, 08:09 PM   #4
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

I have not, in fact, isolated the hissing to the oil pan. I just made an assumption based on the fact that the hissing seemed to cease at the exact same time that the gauge started moving.

So, the gasket on the oil pump isn't really an important sealing point? I notice you have the 318, is there a difference between the pump setup on that and the 4.0?

Oh, and TB is for Throttle Body, right? I The 4.0 has direct injection, would there be some other apparatus that would hiss for a second or two at startup?
Unread 11-30-2009, 08:42 PM   #5
JrMechanic
1993 ZJ 

The IAC makes a hissing noise upon start up. There's no gasket between the block and the oil pump. It's not a crucial sealing point, so the two machined surfaces do just fine. Some high performance engines with high volume/pressure pumps use a copper gasket, but that's it. You wouldn't want a regular gasket there because if it were to blow out, you would be left with a gap for oil to escape.
Unread 11-30-2009, 09:05 PM   #6
CrazyIvan888
1993 ZJ 

Mine has a gasket, looks like the usual paper stuff. So I thought perhaps for some reason a good seal was necessary at that point. But I won't worry about it if it's non-crucial, it's starting to get cold around here! Not a good time to rip into my engine if it's not necessary.

Thanks once again for the help, gentlemen!

CI888

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.