What makes breaks squeak? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What makes breaks squeak?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-29-2009, 03:41 PM   #1
ef1992
2001 WJ 

What makes breaks squeak?

When breaking at speeds 25 and above, the brakes squeak. I was curious what exactly is going on that makes them squeak. Pepboys said they were good, but as some of you know they ****ed up already so I cant be sure.

Thanks

Unread 07-29-2009, 03:44 PM   #2
Apostle
2013 JK Wrangler 

multiple things can make them squeek. the pads themselves can no matter what you do (especially cheap pads)

if you are concerned, take it to a brake place, not pepboys and have someone look at them that knows what they are looking at

[CENTER]You'll get over it[/CENTER]

[SIZE="1"]"To learn who rules over you, simply find out who you are not allowed to criticize.”
–Voltaire[/SIZE]
Apostle is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 04:05 PM   #3
usernamehere
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Several factors will cause brakes to squeak. The primary cause is friction material getting deposited on the rotor due to cheap pads with incorrect carbon or Kevlar content. The other major issue is pads that are not isolated with shims. My Background is BMW parts and service and brake squeak is a universal issue that can be cured without spending a lot of money. Use Quality part, no cheapo rotors or pads, look for OEM brands to ensure proper steel and pad compounds. Use brake shims with no brake pad paste.
usernamehere is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 04:06 PM   #4
malibubts
2002 WJ 

The pads could be old and on their way out but I think even Pep Boys would catch that. My guess is that there is a spot that is glazed over on the pads. Mine have been squealing a bit recently and I'm attributing it to that. But if you are worried go see some other shop.
Unread 07-29-2009, 04:20 PM   #5
5-90
1988 XJ Cherokee 

Same thing that makes a glass squeal when you dunk your finger in water and run it around the rim - friction "make and break" - or, more simply, "slip and stick."

Check your rotors for glazing. If present, take them to a shop and have them turn about a thousandth off of the surface to remove it. While they're doing that, put a sheet of 120-grit on a block of wood or metal (to back it up and make it flat) and sand the surfaces of your pads to remove any glazing building up there. You don't need to remove a lot - just change the surface texture.

I just ran into this sort of thing with one of my wife's co-workers - it was caused by her being too gentle with her brakes - they'd heat up from use, but wouldn't wear down at all. I gave her the same advice - took me about five minutes of driving and talking to her to sort out the problem.

Fortunately, we caught it early - she may have been able to solve the problem entirely through a slight shift in driving habit (don't stomp on the brakes unless you have to, but be a bit more positive when you do step on the pedal.)
Unread 07-29-2009, 04:33 PM   #6
Haleyrz
1998 ZJ 

Glaze is a common factor for squeaking, but I'm suprised no one mentioned hardware. If the clips (holds the pad to the caliper) are old and worn out then they basically cause the pads to be loose and vibrate or rattle around. The metal clips rattling against either caliper or pad will cause a very high pitched fast squeal when braking. I'd highly recommend looking into that whenever you plan on changing your pads if the de glazing and cleaning of the rotors doesn't help. A hardware kit costs about $5. I'd also recommend putting brake lubricant (Autozone sells little packets so you don't have to buy a jar) on all contact points of the clips, caliper pins, and piston to prevent sticking.
1996 ZJ Laredo, 5.2L V8, 3" Kolak exhaust, K&N FIPK, 4300K HID's, Sold

http://www.facebook.com/home.php#/pr...27&ref=profile
Haleyrz is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-29-2009, 05:23 PM   #7
kevo94zj
1994 ZJ 

have you been in mud any?...
if so try spraying them out with a pressure washer
kevo94zj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.