What locker and gearing - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What locker and gearing

Black Friday Sale - Deep Discounts from ExtremeTerrain.com6th Annual, Beat Your Wife to the Credit Card Sale!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome Effect

Unread 04-30-2013, 08:28 PM   #1
no5son1962
1995 ZJ 

What locker and gearing

I have a 95 ZJ 4.0 that is a daily driver and we play with it in the mountains on weekends. I am running 31" tires and current have 3.73 gearing. NP249 transfercase if it matters.

My wife
wants a locker to help with spinning out when climing a hill. I was thinking of putting a locker in the rear that I can turn off, either electric or air. I talked to a guy at the local 4X4 shop and he said I should consider going with a limited slip differential.

They also recommend installing new gears. I was told that if I used the old gears they would whine sence they currently have 164,000 miles of wear on them. That made me think if I need to install new gears in the rear should I change the front ones too and change the ratio? The only reason that I would want to change the gear ratio would be for better top end power. My ZJ is a dog at highway speeds. It is difficult to accelerate to pass or hold speed going up a hill. Would 4.10s significantly help top end power?

Two questions:
Locker vs Limited Slip Diferential
Will 4.10 gearing help with top end power?

Thanks for the advice!

Unread 04-30-2013, 09:16 PM   #2
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

IMO I wouldnt bother spending the coin for a selectable locker for a dana 35.

I could be wrong but I thought the 4.0s usually had 3.55 gearing. With 3.73s and 31s is no problem once you get to 33s is when you have to regear it.

Idk about the gears needing replaced because of the mileage I think he was referring to the bearings.

For doing the limited slip you will need to find a dana 35 limited slip carrier and your old ring gear will have to get swapped over, unless you can find a carrier with 3.55s already on it.

The cheapest route is the used limited slip carrier and just buy a new clutch pack for it.
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 08:26 AM   #3
Exdecuk
1998 ZJ 

If its got the tow pack it comes with 3:73 already with a LSD doesnt it? Maybe just need new clutch packs with that mileage on them as said already.

A woman will pay $1 for a $2 item that she doesn't need but it's on sale.
Exdecuk is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 02:53 PM   #4
Y0ungGunZJ
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exdecuk View Post
If its got the tow pack it comes with 3:73 already with a LSD doesnt it? Maybe just need new clutch packs with that mileage on them as said already.
I thought just because you have the tow package does not guarantee an lsd.

I guess you will have to pop the diff cover and see what you have.
(o) )-o---(o) )---o-) ) ---------(o) )-o-(o) )--o-) )
Y0ungGunZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:06 PM   #5
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Build sheet is the only way to tell what gears and lsd you had from the factory. PO may have changed things though.

3.55 for 4.0, 3.73 for V8. LSD with tow package.

I would lunch the front and put an LSD d44a in the back if you're regearing anyway.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:14 PM   #6
1998 ZJ 

ALL V8's came with 3.73's, tow package or not. The 4.0's came with 3.55's, unless they had a factory tow package then they came with 3.73's.
98318242 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 03:37 PM   #7
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Before you do any of that try airing down your tires for more grip.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:34 PM   #8
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
Build sheet is the only way to tell what gears and lsd you had from the factory. PO may have changed things though.

3.55 for 4.0, 3.73 for V8. LSD with tow package.

I would lunch the front and put an LSD d44a in the back if you're regearing anyway.

The 4.0 could be equipped with 3.73, tow package does not guarantee an LSD (which will be trash now anyways) and why would you advise an auto locker in the front and essentially an open rear on a DD that could have an NP249 case?

OP: Before you drop a penny, try airing down next time you're offroad and make sure you are in 4Lo
WhiteOut is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:42 PM   #9
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

I missed the 249 case, definitely wouldn't want a lunchbox in front of that.

I do think that the factory LSD is pretty good though.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:49 PM   #10
Timo_90xj
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Location: Helsinki, Finland - on the European side of the Atlantic
Quote:
I missed the 249 case, definitely wouldn't want a lunchbox in front of that.
Agreed. Definitely a selectable locker for the front with a 249 if one is required. Front locker makes it easier to climb over objects anyway so IMO it is more useful than the rear. In steep climbs rear has more grip because of the weight transfer, it's the front that usually needs the grip to pull you over.

Quote:
When in good shape, it works ok - can't say it's "pretty good" though. I replaced the LSD clutch packs with OEM Spicer clutches, and I keep spinning only one tire at the back when wheeling in winter snow and ice

It would help to tighten the clutch pack using extra set of friction & steel plates, but there just isn't enough room for them Detroit truetrac (which of couse is not available for the D44a) would be a lot better LSD for the rear.

http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/d...s-etc-1222317/

1990 XJ Limited (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, ***rolled and totalled @ 165k miles***

***Under construction***
1990 XJ (4-door), 4.0 I6, AW4, NP242, PBR 42" tires, Unimog 404 portal axles, 110" WB, full cage + uniframe completely rebuilt, front 3-link + panhard / double triangulated 4-link rear,... ***SOLD***
Timo_90xj is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 04:57 PM   #11
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

The factory LSD sucks with bigger tires. Might as well not even be there.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:11 PM   #12
kg6mov
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

If he's doing climbs the way it sounds like he's doing climbs he's gonna snap the d35, so either way swapping the rear out for anything better would be good.

I'd lock the front before locking the back. For the d30 there's eaton (electric actuated), arb (air actuated) and ox ($$ actuated), anyone else?

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 05-01-2013, 05:15 PM   #13
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
it is not bad when it works, but it is significantly worse then excellent
Unread 05-02-2013, 09:38 PM   #14
no5son1962
1995 ZJ 

Thanks for all the feedback. I have the tow package and 3.73 gear ratio verified with metal tags on the differentials. Both differentials are open. I have had the covers off last year to change the oil. I am starting to lean to not regearing. I do not think I will gain that much by going to 4.10 gearing. Still debating on weather to go with the limited slip or the selectable locker in the rear.
Unread 05-02-2013, 10:13 PM   #15
biggoofy
1996 ZJ 

Put a selectable up front and leave the rear open. Swap in a d44a from 96-98 v8 and have fun.

96 ZJ HP44 / 9"
90 XJ on 33s
RIP Troy aka BigBlueZJ94

FroBot Fab FTW

[URL="http://www.mallcrawlin.com/forum/showthread.php?22776-Biggoofy-s-96-ZJ-build!-**Building-axles**"]My Build[/URL]

Need quality parts call Andy at Ironman4x4fab!!!!!
[url]http://ironman4x4fab.com/index.html[/url]
[/CENTER]
biggoofy is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.