Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What Locker for a Dana 30

What Locker for Dana 30

2K views 15 replies 10 participants last post by  Colorado 5.9 
#1 ·
What experience do you have with the above lockers and would you buy it again? I just got a D44a to swap into my GC and will need to regear so I am considering a locker at the same time. The locker will be for my front Dana 30.

#2 ·
What experience do you have with the above lockers and would you buy it again? I just got a D44a to swap into my GC and will need to regear so I am considering a locker at the same time.
Why locker Why not GO tru-trac there awesome!

#4 ·
I thought they would not lock up if one wheel was completely free to rotate, this happens often when crawling.

#6 ·
I loved the TrueTrac in my D35, but I think I out grew it to the point where I needed a locker. Thats when I put a 44a under my Jeep, so I am in the same boat as the OP. I am seriously looking at the Detroit Locker for my D30 once I get the funds.

But as for the selectable lockers, my choices would be between the OX and the Auburn.

#9 ·
I like the Auburn Ected, limited slip and full time all in one. Less chance of breaking and axle in limited slip, use full time only when really needed.

#10 ·
their site says a 31 inch is the max on Dana 30s. Anyone know if this is just for the LSD part? What effect would 32s have on it?

#11 ·
Auburn says 31" for dana 30 and 33" for dana 35, alot of people run alot taller tires than that, 31"s must be playing it safe for them.

#12 ·
I called them and they said that industry standard was 31" on a dana 30, they said 32s might start to degrade teh performance of the LSd but doubted it, they were more concerned about axles and the like breaking. So teh 31" tire rating is for teh axle as a whole.

#14 ·
I run aussie locker F/R, D30/35 on 33's. Wheel it pretty hard at least monthly. Have only broken a DS so far. With both axles locked you dont have to gun it over crap. You can go nice and easy. The only real draw back I have is sharp turns in mud and snow. The jeep wants to track straight. You have to learn to feather the gas to unlock the front to help ya turn. Otherwise, the lockers were the best investment for the buck. You see a lot more people breaking things if they are only locked in one or none. They tend to try and power up and get running starts. I would love a selectable up front though.
01 Grand, 6in lift, 33's, Aussie locked 30/35, front disco's, home made rock rails, Surco rack, grille guard, front and rear hitch, t-max 12500lb hitch winch, rock lights, TJ transfer skid plate, OBA and a few other things.

#16 ·
The HP d30 under my jeep right now has had 4:56's, an arb locker in it & 35" on it for at least 7 years & has never had a broken axle or u-joint. 2 of those years I ran cv joints before swapping in u-jointed axles.

It all depends on how you wheel & preventiive maintenance. As in replace older u-joints before they break.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.