what lift for $800 budget - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > what lift for $800 budget

Rough Country Deals at JeepHut.comSave at JeepHut on Smittybilt Soft topsUp to $75 Cash Back on Your ARB Fridge Freezer Purchase

Unread 05-17-2013, 01:36 PM   #1
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

what lift for $800 budget

hey all, i just picked up a 98 grand with the 5.2L and am lovin it. the jeep is going to get a 231 with SYE in the next week or so, that leads me to the question for the experts: if you had an $800 budget, what lift would you spend your money on? this is my new DD and trail rig, i like mud and climbing rutted hills, any recommendations? i intentionally did not throw out any lifts, thanks.

thanks for your time

here is my rig

im giving my old girl a break from off road duty

huntsducks70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:05 PM   #2
biggreen
1995 ZJ 

I have a 95 ZJ with the 5.2 as well. From the reading on these forums as well I am leaning towards a 3.5" IRO kit which are fairly cheap. I am sure someone else with more knowledge can jump in here though.
biggreen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:29 PM   #3
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

OME and Bilstein for that money, rides amazing, run 31's and you won't have a problem.

PM kolak, he's got the goods at the best prices.

"Whats wrong with a PT Cruiser?"
"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texas ZJ1 View Post
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
kg6mov is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:32 PM   #4
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

RE as well (don't think kolak has the set up for that, maybe i'm wrong). I've heard good things about them tho.

Otherwise, what he said.
Unread 05-17-2013, 03:39 PM   #5
Jeeples
2000 WJ 

IRO 3.5" with Bilsteins. Depending on what Nicks' (Kolak) pricing is, you might be able to squeeze in adjustable control arms as well for around $800.

Hers: '03 WJ 4.7 V8- IRO 3", 245/75/16 Duratracs
Jeeples is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:09 PM   #6
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

right on, thanks guys. i know that is not much of a budget, but that is all that my wife is allowing me to spend, going to look at a JY 231 tomorrow, they are listing it for $270, thanks to all for your input!
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:16 PM   #7
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

Are you planning on locking the front?

If your vc is bad I would just replace it for the money you are going to spend on the 231. Keep the 249, it really is a great case if you don't need 2wd, and the only reason you would need 2wd is if you lunched the front axle.

You really shouldn't need a SYE, even at 6" people don't need them.

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
I heard someone yell "mall crawler" from the back porch. I'll go see who said that. Be right back.
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:22 PM   #8
kg6mov
Hears the voices

1996 ZJ 

[Soapbox]
On a budget, I would stay around 2" until you have the ca$h to go all out to long arms or all adjustable. You can't really run 33's on 3.5" without trimming, so you don't gain anything there over 2", but at 2" you can run stock CA's fine, not quite so with 3.5".

So your lift will be cheaper, or you can get better components. Your tires will be cheaper. You won't have as much work to do. You just won't have the big lifted jeep look.

Though I think 2" of lift looks fine.
[/soapbox]

"Coulda had a V8!"

96 build thread

Niner build thread

Quote:
Unread 05-17-2013, 04:50 PM   #9
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

OME and Bilsteins will out ride and perform offroad just as well as a 3.5" IRO benchmark kit.

x2 on not doing the transfer case unless you NEED to do it.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2013, 06:26 PM   #10
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

thanks for the input guys. well yesterday I loaded up the fam and we hit the local wrecking yard to check out a 231. after checking the tag, running through the gears and counting the spines on the input and output (my 11 yr old with nice young eyes actually did the counting), I pulled the trigger and paid $270 for a case w/manufacture date 10/99 out of a 2000 xj.

I'm going to take your advice and not do the SYE until a vibration says otherwise, if at all. thanks for the input!

regarding the 249, I am sure is a great case, I just would like plain old 2wd, 4hi and 4low.

the jeep has really become a part of the family!
Unread 05-19-2013, 06:35 PM   #11
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

thanks for all the input on lifts, I researched all the suggestions and saw some good stuff for sure.

I am going to throw this one out there, why hasn't anyone suggested the rc kit? is it really lacking that much in the quality department? what is anything is wrong with this kit? thanks.

http://www.roughcountry.com/images/jeep_688n2.gif
Unread 05-19-2013, 06:56 PM   #12
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kg6mov View Post
[Soapbox]
On a budget, I would stay around 2" until you have the ca$h to go all out to long arms or all adjustable. You can't really run 33's on 3.5" without trimming, so you don't gain anything there over 2", but at 2" you can run stock CA's fine, not quite so with 3.5".

So your lift will be cheaper, or you can get better components. Your tires will be cheaper. You won't have as much work to do. You just won't have the big lifted jeep look.

Though I think 2" of lift looks fine.
[/soapbox]
thanks. the rubber bushings in my CA are gone, so I am able to justify new adjustable CAs, something inexpensive like the rough country x-flex adjustables, but am thinking they must suck since nobody has mentioned the kit.
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:20 AM   #13
tucsonzj
2000 TJ Wrangler 

it might just be me(ok it's not just me but it's my opinion), I wouldn't put any RC suspension on my jeep. Everyone has their own feelings but there's a large group of no RC around here.

I still stand by OME/Blist, IRO kit (you could do the 3.5 and add adj track bars and be at about 800), or Rubicon Express.
Unread 05-20-2013, 08:56 AM   #14
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

For the cheap route it usually goes like this: Buy bargain lift, install it, a year later you are ripping it out and installing a quality lift but have spent twice the money.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2013, 01:13 PM   #15
huntsducks70
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tucsonzj View Post
it might just be me(ok it's not just me but it's my opinion), I wouldn't put any RC suspension on my jeep. Everyone has their own feelings but there's a large group of no RC around here.

I still stand by OME/Blist, IRO kit (you could do the 3.5 and add adj track bars and be at about 800), or Rubicon Express.

okay thanks. RC is definitely out.

i like the IRO and OME stuff, i am going to focus on these two manufacturers, thanks.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.