what length should the upper and lower control arms at 4.5 inches of lift - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > what length should the upper and lower control arms at 4.5 inches of lift

Visit 1aauto.com For ShockTober Deals on Monroe shocks andAdvance Adapters SYE KitsFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 11-10-2013, 01:40 AM   #1
97ZJ_FOORx4
1997 ZJ 

what length should the upper and lower control arms at 4.5 inches of lift

I started my lift today and ran into a problem. my lift from iro doesnt tell how long the control arms should be adjusted to, I mean it gives tells me to find the 18 and 5/16 lower control arm and install. Is this number how far it should be adjusted to center to center or what? it also says install upper control arms, since mine are adjustable what length should i put them at? for the front and rear.

97ZJ_FOORx4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:38 AM   #2
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

The length IRO gave you for the lowers is eye to eye... center of bolt hole to bolt hole.

Coil springs and vehicle weights are not uniform and you need to adjust the uppers for proper pinion angle. You'll need an angle finder for this, Sears Hardware has these for ~$10.

Google image Pinion angle if your unfamiliar, you'll see plenty of diagrams on how to adjust for both a cardan joint (SYE style) or OEM 2 joint driveshafts.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 07:42 AM   #3
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

The lowers should be the same length as the stock control arms. The uppers should be adjusted to dial in the rear pinion angle and the front caster angle.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-10-2013, 01:33 PM   #4
97ZJ_FOORx4
1997 ZJ 

Is there a specific length I need to adjust the uppers and lowers to? I figured you would keep the uppers stock and adjust the lowers according to the lift. But you guys say otherwise. The installation instructions just say to install upper control arms. The length of both upper and lowers are crucial to the drivability of the vehicle and I don't see why Iro would leave that information out.
Unread 11-10-2013, 01:38 PM   #5
WhiteOut
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Because there is no universal control arm length. They need to be adjusted to your Jeep and how it reacts to the lift.
WhiteOut is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 12:56 AM   #6
97ZJ_FOORx4
1997 ZJ 

So the adjustable ca's help with the pinion angle, right now I have the lowers extended to 18 and 5/16 from center to center on the rear and the uppers are adjusted to stock length. Should I move them out? It looks like the axle isn't out far enough to clear my tires and it would rub the front of the rear fender wells near the rocker arms.
Is there a chart I can go off from or somebody who runs the adjustys that works and what length are they using? I plan on running 33s.
Or should the axle just be centered in the wheel well?
Or is this something an alignment would take care of?
Unread 11-11-2013, 02:14 AM   #7
Kodiak17
1998 TJ Wrangler 

Pinion angle is most important. Then caster. Then axle placement. Find a happy balance between all 3. To push the axle back, extend both arm lengths equally.

My build: http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/thor-dd-weekend-warrior-1348534/
Kodiak17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 03:50 AM   #8
Technohead
Old School

1998 ZJ 

But pushing the axle back on short arms with the factory bracket locations is not recommended. The factory CA lengths will place the axle in the center of the wheel opening at full bump:

Also, I would say pinion angle is most important on the rear. Too little caster is a very common source of death wobble.
Technohead is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-11-2013, 04:46 AM   #9
97ZJ_FOORx4
1997 ZJ 

So would factory length ca's work and then I just adjust the upper for the pinion angle correct?

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.