what kind of oil do you use on your grand cherokee? - Page 2 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > what kind of oil do you use on your grand cherokee?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsDisc Brake Kits from ECGS

Unread 09-11-2003, 08:03 AM   #16
pozner

Castrol synthetic blend

After I took possession I changed over to the Castrol 20W-40 synthetic blend. Since, at the time a radiator leak caused the engine to seriously overheat about 4 times without any engine damage, I credit that to the superior lubricity of the synthetic oil.
The "blend" is a compomise because of the price; More than regular oil but less than a full synthetic. Wally-world price is $2.34.

pozner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2003, 08:23 PM   #17
2k Limited

The real question is...what filter do you use? I haven't done an oil change on the WJ yet, I haven't even looked for the filter location yet but with 33k on it I'll be putting in Mobil 1 with a Purolator Pure One filter.
2k Limited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2003, 09:08 PM   #18
Skyjacked97ZJ

I just use me some regular old Havoline. Works fine and dandy. As for filter, I usually go for a Fram sure-grip. Easier to take on and off.
Skyjacked97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2003, 12:06 AM   #19
ninjit
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2k Limited
The real question is...what filter do you use? I haven't done an oil change on the WJ yet, I haven't even looked for the filter location yet but with 33k on it I'll be putting in Mobil 1 with a Purolator Pure One filter.
33k and you haven't done an oil change yet??

So is the general manufacturer recommendation of changing oil+filter every 3k/3 months all bull?

I've ready some sites where people have only been changing their oil every 30k when using synths. Even the amsoil website says something about only having to do it every 25k.

Seems like an awaful big jump between 30k and 3k though...
ninjit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2003, 01:07 AM   #20
pozner

Even the site for Castrol Oil says 3000 miles for short, around town, and towing driving and a bit more (5K?) if long extended driving, synthetic or not. The manufacturers use longer intervals as a selling point. The oil companies have better test data.
pozner is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2003, 04:05 PM   #21
Skyjacked97ZJ

I think he meant he bought it used and hasn't needed to yet, I hope thats what he meant anyway. I seriously hope no one on here would go for 33k w/o a oil change.
Skyjacked97ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2003, 07:08 PM   #22
fureyj

I put mobil 1 in my 96 G.C. with the 5.2L engine and noticed a 2 M.P.G. increase. Went from 13.8-13.9 to 16.9. It's starting to decrease since I'm mainly doing city driving. 15.9-16.0 is my current M.P.G. Lucas oil additive does work. I put that in My parents 1989 Caprice and it started easier and ran better.
fureyj is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2003, 08:57 PM   #23
brad335

I use Penzol High Mileage Vehicle 10w40. I want to get mobile, but i hate to switch.,....since Penzoil works good for me.
Unread 09-13-2003, 08:56 AM   #24
cocot

Using Mobil1 since new with Purolator PurOne. I go 7500 miles between changes and just recently stopped sending the oil out to be analyzed. As a matter of fact the lab thought I was using an external bypass filter because the oil was so clean. I am now going to go 10,000 miles between oil changes.
cocot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-13-2003, 05:49 PM   #25
2k Limited

Yeah, we bought it used. Probably should have dropped the oil as soon as I got it home. When I mentioned the 33k I just meant that that's not too late to change over. My Nissan now has 102k on it and that is too late in my mind...

The only reason I've heard not to change to synthetic at high miles is that it cleans the deposits that dino oil leaves. Some of these deposits may be causing the seals to dry out but you dont notice it because the deposit is actually preventing a leak. Once you change, the deposit is removed and it can start to leak. I dont think the change is what dries the seals, it's just what causes you to notice the problem.

Now I just have to figure out what lift I want to put on it before the new tires the stealership put on it wear out...
Unread 09-13-2003, 09:11 PM   #26
ninjit
1999 WJ 

I think I'm almost convinced to switch to synthetics...
Is mobil1 what everyone uses? I've seen some forums that recommend Amsoil, but they aren't Jeep specific.

As far as filters go, anyone have an opinion between Purolator or Mobil 1? Or Are they pretty much even.

Never realized Oil type made such a huge difference in performance/fuel economy, but after reading all these posts and started searching around for more info, and found this
http://www.motor-oil-bible.com

Very nice and detailed explanations of everything motor oil related (including tech specs).

-Jit
Unread 09-14-2003, 02:14 PM   #27
2k Limited

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjit
I think I'm almost convinced to switch to synthetics...
Is mobil1 what everyone uses? I've seen some forums that recommend Amsoil, but they aren't Jeep specific.

As far as filters go, anyone have an opinion between Purolator or Mobil 1? Or Are they pretty much even.

Never realized Oil type made such a huge difference in performance/fuel economy, but after reading all these posts and started searching around for more info, and found this
http://www.motor-oil-bible.com

Very nice and detailed explanations of everything motor oil related (including tech specs).

-Jit
When I had my WRX (traded for the Jeep ) I checked into filters quite a bit. My findings (yours may vary) were that Fram was one of the poorest quality made (any Fram) and that Purolator and I think NAPA were among the best. The only problem I heard about the Mobil 1 filter is at one time (may have been fixed), there apparently was a problem with the end of the filter basically blowing off at startup due to the higher pressures.

And now I'm off to go figure out how hard it's going to be to change the radiator hoses on my Nissan. Time to change the coolant anyway.
Unread 09-20-2003, 01:40 PM   #28
Rockhound79
1998 ZJ 

I use Mobil 1 on my 98 GCL and a Fram high life 7000mile filter. I have increased my mileage by around 2 mpg and my idle has become slightly smoother. It is worth the investment.
Rockhound79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2003, 06:52 PM   #29
pygocentrus

i knew this guy in high school who didnt change the oil for almost a year and a half, if i never opened his hood to look at his bubblingly black oil, his car wouldnt be alive today (not worth living though)

i used the Fram filter too ,since it has that grip. I use mobil 1 oil.
anyone try 2 oil filters? ive seen this thing in a jeep magazine where you can use 2 oil filters using some hose and clamps.
pygocentrus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2003, 07:57 PM   #30
ninjit
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pygocentrus
i knew this guy in high school who didnt change the oil for almost a year and a half, if i never opened his hood to look at his bubblingly black oil, his car wouldnt be alive today (not worth living though)

i used the Fram filter too ,since it has that grip. I use mobil 1 oil.
anyone try 2 oil filters? ive seen this thing in a jeep magazine where you can use 2 oil filters using some hose and clamps.

I thought the two filter thingy is a bypass system.

One regular filter, and one low flow/high filtration bypass filter, that only syphons off a small amount of ail at each pass, but pretty much removes every bit of muck in there.

Anyone have any experience with these?
They sound interesting. I know they're used on big long-hall diesel trucks, because changing the oil on those beasts every 3k is a ridiculous thing to do considering the miles they run a year.

But I wonder how useful it would really be in a Jeep...

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.