what hose is under my AC condenser? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > what hose is under my AC condenser?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 04-27-2013, 08:06 PM   #1
EOD-97-ZJ
1998 ZJ 

what hose is under my AC condenser?

What is the radiator like hose inter my AC condenser? It's the one with the hose clamp under the condenser.

forumrunner_20130427_210358.jpg  

98 5.9 ZJ soon to have above list.
EOD-97-ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:21 PM   #2
Mickey_D
1997 ZJ 

I believe that's one of your heater core hoses.

And by the way, the A/C item in the picture is the compressor. The condenser is the radiator looking thing behind your grill.
[_][][][][][][][][_]

Mickey_D is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 09:26 PM   #3
EOD-97-ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey_D View Post
I believe that's one of your heater core hoses.

And by the way, the A/C item in the picture is the compressor. The condenser is the radiator looking thing behind your grill.
The guy at O'rielly said it might be the bypass hose. What do u think

Unread 04-27-2013, 10:03 PM   #4
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

The hose you're showing below your A/C compressor is the bypass hose. The condenser is in front of the radiator.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2013, 10:08 PM   #5
EOD-97-ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensnelling View Post
The hose you're showing below your A/C compressor is the bypass hose. The condenser is in front of the radiator.

Ken
Ok thanks that's the one I bought, it was only 5 bucks so why not.

And I know I miss labeled what it was. My bad

Unread 04-27-2013, 10:21 PM   #6
kensnelling
1998 ZJ 

When you change it out it will be a lot easier to remove the alternator, move the compressor out of the way, and then remove the large compressor/alternator bracket. Do a search, I believe there's a thread with photos on how to do it.

It usually takes as long or longer trying to change the hose with the bracket in place as it does to remove the bracket and then change the hose.

Ken
kensnelling is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 12:15 AM   #7
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

I had to cut mine out with a box cutter. It was a pain to get to.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kensnelling View Post
When you change it out it will be a lot easier to remove the alternator, move the compressor out of the way, and then remove the large compressor/alternator bracket. Do a search, I believe there's a thread with photos on how to do it.

It usually takes as long or longer trying to change the hose with the bracket in place as it does to remove the bracket and then change the hose.

Ken
I cant believe anyone could get that hose out without removing the bracket. I would pay to see that done! I also had to loosen all the power steering pump bolts and move it a little to get the bracket out.

StPaul59 is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2013, 06:59 AM   #8
EOD-97-ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by StPaul59 View Post
I had to cut mine out with a box cutter. It was a pain to get to.

I cant believe anyone could get that hose out without removing the bracket. I would pay to see that done! I also had to loosen all the power steering pump bolts and move it a little to get the bracket out.
Thanks man that is exactly what I needed.

About how long did it take you?

Unread 04-28-2013, 11:12 AM   #9
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD-97-ZJ View Post
Thanks man that is exactly what I needed.

About how long did it take you?
At least a few hours a day for 3 days. It was kind of a puzzle the first time. Im not the fastest but it was a lot easier getting it back together. I also did my valve cover which did slow everything down trying to pry it past the AC line and then having a bunch of dirt fall in there when it came out, had to clean that up with a vacuum and a rigged up attachment to get in those small areas. Getting the bolts loose on the power steering was time consuming as well. Having a clutch fan I had to work around was not helping either.
Unread 04-28-2013, 11:43 AM   #10
EOD-97-ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Ok so we are talking about 6ish hours

Unread 04-30-2013, 07:03 PM   #11
EOD-97-ZJ
1998 ZJ 

If you leave the alternator and the AC compressor on the mount, and take the 3 power steering mounting screws out you can pick up the whole housing and swap the bypass hose. Take 1 1/2-2 hours makes life a lot easier.

Unread 04-30-2013, 07:07 PM   #12
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Coolant bypass hose. Often neglected when changing hoses because it's hard to get to. Usually where the hose ruptures and leaves you stranded haha
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2013, 07:19 PM   #13
EOD-97-ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Coolant bypass hose. Often neglected when changing hoses because it's hard to get to. Usually where the hose ruptures and leaves you stranded haha
Lucky mine did it right after I finished putting my lift on, and most of the tune up until I did the sea foam treatment through the vacuum line.

Unread 04-30-2013, 07:20 PM   #14
EOD-97-ZJ
1998 ZJ 

Also changed the upper radiator hose when I broke it. Probably gonna change the lower soon.

Unread 04-30-2013, 09:29 PM   #15
StPaul59
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by EOD-97-ZJ View Post
If you leave the alternator and the AC compressor on the mount, and take the 3 power steering mounting screws out you can pick up the whole housing and swap the bypass hose. Take 1 1/2-2 hours makes life a lot easier.
That might work. Be careful of the wires on the AC lines. I bent one just a little bit and it fricken snapped! Now no AC for the time being.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.