What is this hose(s) called? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What is this hose(s) called?

ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4wG2 Disc Brake Conversion Kit for Jeep Wrangler YJ TJ LJ ChANOTHER Rockridge4wd Creation!! Spare Tire Carrier Delete

Unread 04-12-2011, 11:35 AM   #1
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

What is this hose(s) called?

I have a small dripping at this hose/hoses. It's from the tranny, going towards the front radiator (I don't have the heavy-duty cooler that came with towing package).
What's the name of those, or do I need just the connectors because hoses seem in very good shape?

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

image-3169601949.jpg   image-3858759850.jpg  
Unread 04-12-2011, 11:55 AM   #2
Obie95Sahara
1995 ZJ 

Those are the transmission lines. They go into the radiator so the radiator can cool the transmission fluid. You're going to need new lines (dealer part) or you could splice the lines with new rubber hose. Advanced and autozone carry the transmission hose made for re-locating a transmission cooler. That stuff should work.
Obie95Sahara is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-12-2011, 12:07 PM   #3
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

I belive the leak is on the rubber hoses, not the hard lines. So I need just those hoses? And what about connectors? I can't seem to locate those at rockauto.com

Unread 04-12-2011, 12:15 PM   #4
no5son1962
1995 ZJ 

Is it trany fluid on the hoses or antifreeze? In the second picture it looks a little green like anti freeze. Maybe it is the lighting that makes it look green.
Unread 04-12-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Obie95Sahara
1995 ZJ 

The only way to tell is to get under it, wipe the lines down & with it running see where it is leaking from.. From my experience it will leak from the metal fittings most of the time. The rubber hose could be dry rotted as well though. If thats the case just get some rubber transmission cooler line, it comes in a 6ft. package at advanced for like $8.00 or something, and some hose clamps to fit the new rubber line. Cut the old rubber hose off the metal line, and replace with new rubber hose & clamps. Shouldn't take more than 15 minutes. I did this with mine a couple months ago as mine were leaking, and now not a drip
Unread 04-12-2011, 12:29 PM   #6
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Reddish - so it's tranny lines. And I belive it's on fittings cos above the fitting (towards the cooler, not shown on photos) it's dry, as well as the bottom part of hoses. I think it's leaking right from the fitting but those towards the cooler.
So, what are those fittings called? For the hose I got the name: rubber transmission cooler line. But fittings?

Unread 04-12-2011, 12:35 PM   #7
Obie95Sahara
1995 ZJ 

You're talking about the fittings right where it goes from metal line to rubber hose right? If you are, I cut mine on both ends with a tubing cutter about an inch above those fittings and just clamped on the new rubber hose. Those fittings are for how the factory hose is made. I thought maybe I'd have a problem with it leaking, but it hasn't leaked one drop the way that I fixed it.
Unread 04-12-2011, 12:39 PM   #8
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

You cut the hard line? And then just slided rubber hose over the hard line, with the ring-thing on top to keep it all together?

Unread 04-12-2011, 12:43 PM   #9
Obie95Sahara
1995 ZJ 

Yup, I cut the hard line about an inch above those fittings on each end. Then I slid the new rubber hose onto the hard line about 4 inches on each end, and clamped both ends tight. Worked for me.
Unread 04-12-2011, 12:54 PM   #10
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

Great!
And what about the air that gets in with new tube? Need to get it out or?

Unread 04-12-2011, 01:01 PM   #11
Obie95Sahara
1995 ZJ 

No issues with air... It didn't shift any different or anything when I was done. I could be wrong, but I don't think that the tranny lines are like the brake lines or power steering lines. Even when I replaced my power steering lines I didn't need to bleed any air out, just turning the wheel back & forth did that. So I'm going to say no to the air issue. But if someone knows something I don't hopefully they will chime in.
Unread 04-12-2011, 01:08 PM   #12
MaintMech
Old, and in the way.

1996 ZJ 

No need to worry about the air. The trans will burp itself as you drive. Just check the fluid levels after a few miles and top it up.

I fought Oracle and Oracle won!
MaintMech is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 02:46 AM   #13
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

OK, I can't seem to find the transmission rubber hose online. And I don't know the dia, too
Any input? Thanx!

EDIT:
Of course - found it the moment I posted
So, is it better to take this hose and cut the hard lines, or maybe easier to take two of these (and if so, what's with the metal-tube-part? I thought I'd get just the rubber hose with connectors, and that it's as easy as disconnect-reconnect )
Unread 04-13-2011, 05:04 AM   #14
newfieZJ
1995 ZJ 

Just cut the steel lines about 4-5" from the rad (where it points toward the ground), then cut the hose just before the connection at the disconnect .
You need a specific rubber line made for transmissions , then join the 2 with the rubber hose and double clamp both ends .
You've just removed the check valve , one of the leading causes of transmission failure in Mopars IMO , congradulations .
newfieZJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-13-2011, 06:48 AM   #15
BlueDevil
1995 ZJ 

OK, let me get this right: I cut the steel lines (with a tube cutter) towards the radiator, on the point where they point straight downwards. Then I cut the steel lines on the tranny-side, like an inch from the connection with rubber hose. That way the rubber hose remains with some steel lines attached at both its ends. And then I slide the new rubber over the steel lines to replace the cut parts, clamp both ends, and I'm ready to roll.

Is that right?

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.