What The Hell Is Leaking On My Floorboard? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What The Hell Is Leaking On My Floorboard?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 09-13-2007, 12:00 AM   #1
Briandl

What The Hell Is Leaking On My Floorboard?

So I have a leak on my passenger floorboard.

Now I've read enough threads here to know it can only be one of a few things:

Heater Core

Water Leak (Sunfoor/Windshield)

AC-Evaportator Core?

Now I'm sure this isn't water so that rules out a water leak.

Can an evap core leak anything, I assume it's filled with R-134A so technically if there's a problem with it it should leak R-134A gas, not liquid, and for the record my AC still blows very cold.

I disconnected the supply and return line for the heater core from the water pump because I believed it to be leaking, and this leak certainly smells like coolant, and it's slick like coolant which is why I'm puzzled.

I'm not low on coolant, and I did use a shop vac to blow out any coolant that might be in the heater core when I disconnected it.

TIA

Unread 09-13-2007, 12:01 AM   #2
Briandl

Best guess, condensation from the A/C mixing with the previous coolant?
Unread 09-13-2007, 05:33 AM   #3
MAUSS
1996 ZJ 

Plugged AC condensate drain will leak water on the floorboard. If the AC works and you're not low on coolant, I'd say that this is the answer. See this website:
http://www.aircondition.com/tech/questions/4/
Unread 09-13-2007, 07:08 AM   #4
grandpapy
1995 ZJ 

you'll know if it your heater core cause you'll smell a sweet type smell in the car and also the front windshield should start to fog up after or during driving the vehicle. anything other than that, probably the ac system however the fluid usued in the ac system will not look or feel like water at all. it will have a distinct smell followed with light headedness and it'll be like a fine mist or vapor. good luck if it's either at least you could by pass the heater core if you don't need heat cause it's an expensive job to take it in and it's a pain in the rear to do it yourself.
grandpapy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-14-2007, 02:34 PM   #5
sixpackFL
1997 ZJ 

The A/C system has a lubricant in it, A/C oil I think they call it. It's got to be your evap core leaking slowly. Drill a hole in the middle of the black circular thingy hanging down below your ac box and see what comes out. If it's a bunch of water you've got a plugged drain and most likely a leaking evap core. Take it to a shop and use their sniffer to see if freon is leaking and coming out of the vents.

The only other thing in that black box is the heater core. Good luck!
sixpackFL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-12-2009, 01:22 PM   #6
JamesLouis
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by grandpapy View Post
you'll know if it your heater core cause you'll smell a sweet type smell in the car and also the front windshield should start to fog up after or during driving the vehicle.
Not trying to hijack your thread but is the heater core the only thing that will cause the fog. I have the sweet smelling oil on my passenger floor and my AC/heat doesn't work so I know my heater core is bad. I'm going to replace the core so I figure if the fog is indicating something else might be broken I wanna replace it while I have the dash and such off.
Unread 10-12-2009, 01:29 PM   #7
Joshhamburger
1993 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAUSS View Post
Plugged AC condensate drain will leak water on the floorboard. If the AC works and you're not low on coolant, I'd say that this is the answer. See this website:
Condensate Drain on Jeep Grand Cherokee
This is most likely your issue. There is a fix in the FAQ.
Joshhamburger is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.