What is a good aftermarket fuel pump - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What is a good aftermarket fuel pump

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 06-11-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
dbmorris99
1997 ZJ 

What is a good aftermarket fuel pump

What is a good aftermarket fuel pump as my pump started acting weird and float level started acting up today and i need to replace the pump?

dbmorris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:11 PM   #2
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

I would recommend the whole unit ( filter, pump, and sender ) from the dealer. I've heard most aftermarket units are garbage.
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 06:59 PM   #3
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

X2 what urd said. But some people swear by Bosch which according to some is the OE supplier now.
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 07:44 PM   #4
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

You talkin' bout me coralman? LOL, and yeah I'm a firm believer in Bosch fuel pump modules while being told they build/supply them to Mopar. I've been running mine for about a year in my 96 4.0 and it's worked flawlessly while being super quiet. Believe dusterdude also installed one and happy with it along with the cost.

I paid $224 on Amazon and don't think you can beat the below deal at $120 for a new "Bosch 67649 Fuel Pump Module for 97-98 Jeeps" w/free shipping from ebay. This is a reputable vendor others here have used. Look at the top of the 2nd page of the compatibility chart in the link and you'll see your 97 4.0 ZJ listed. Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-BO...item25769b15f5

BTW, not sure if they still come w/the tank seal but mine did so took the one back to the dealer and got my $15 back.

-Stalling ZJ? 12 things to check before replacing a sensor; the Dirty Dozen
-Crankshaft position sensor multimeter test. & video of testing.
Uniblurb is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:13 PM   #5
dbmorris99
1997 ZJ 

Thanks for the listing. I do appreciate all the input that was given as i am a noobie to the whole jeep world.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
You talkin' bout me coralman? LOL, and yeah I'm a firm believer in Bosch fuel pump modules while being told they build/supply them to Mopar. I've been running mine for about a year in my 96 4.0 and it's worked flawlessly while being super quiet. Believe dusterdude also installed one and happy with it along with the cost.

I paid $224 on Amazon and don't think you can beat the below deal at $120 for a new "Bosch 67649 Fuel Pump Module for 97-98 Jeeps" w/free shipping from ebay. This is a reputable vendor others here have used. Look at the top of the 2nd page of the compatibility chart in the link and you'll see your 97 4.0 ZJ listed. Good luck.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/BRAND-NEW-BO...item25769b15f5

BTW, not sure if they still come w/the tank seal but mine did so took the one back to the dealer and got my $15 back.
dbmorris99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:15 PM   #6
dellis
1998 ZJ 

Bosch is the OEM supplier (maybe not originally, but at least now) ... the replacement pump I purchased had Bosch labels and Chrysler/Mopar part numbers on it.
dellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 08:33 PM   #7
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbmorris99 View Post
Thanks for the listing. I do appreciate all the input that was given as i am a noobie to the whole jeep world.
No problem and ask if you have any questions. If purchasing from ebay, and you haven't before, you'll need to open a free account along with a free paypal account. I did both at the same time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dellis View Post
Bosch is the OEM supplier (maybe not originally, but at least now) ... the replacement pump I purchased had Bosch labels and Chrysler/Mopar part numbers on it.
Thanks for verifying!

Unread 06-11-2013, 09:01 PM   #8
wood04
1998 ZJ 

just watch out for knock offs also, I have read about them on other forums. I would just go with the dealer full pump setup to be safe.
wood04 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:20 PM   #9
AVR2
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by just_urd View Post
I would recommend the whole unit ( filter, pump, and sender ) from the dealer. I've heard most aftermarket units are garbage.
You just have to use common sense. Look at the prices, and you'll see that given some brands of pump cost $99 and others cost $199, there's probably going to be a quality difference.

As has been said, the Bosch one is the OEM part. I'd buy it from that eBay vendor or RockAuto. No way I'd pay the extra sh*tload of cash on top of that just to get it from the dealer in a Mopar box.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2013, 09:29 PM   #10
4x4andmetal
1995 ZJ 

I recently replaced my fuel pump with a Bosch and it seems much quieter than the original. I believe I payed $110 or something like that for just the pump at Advance.
Unread 06-11-2013, 10:20 PM   #11
just_urd
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVR2
You just have to use common sense. Look at the prices, and you'll see that given some brands of pump cost $99 and others cost $199, there's probably going to be a quality difference.

As has been said, the Bosch one is the OEM part. I'd buy it from that eBay vendor or RockAuto. No way I'd pay the extra sh*tload of cash on top of that just to get it from the dealer in a Mopar box.
You mean $300 plus isn't reasonable I understand what you mean. I had no idea Bosch is the same as mopar OE in relation. Good to know when I replace mine in the future.
just_urd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 04:43 AM   #12
coralman
Web Wheeler

1998 ZJ 

Uni
coralman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2013, 09:11 AM   #13
Uniblurb
Web Wheeler

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by coralman View Post
Uni
Lol coralman!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wood04 View Post
just watch out for knock offs also, I have read about them on other forums. I would just go with the dealer full pump setup to be safe.
Wouldn't doubt there are knock-offs out there and best to check the seller/vendor ratings if buying from ebay to make sure they're reputable. That "e-herko" who sells the real deal Bosch fuel pump assemblies has been around since 2009, has a 5 star 99.5% feedback rating, but have no idea how they can sell those now OE fuel pump assemblies at such a low price. Wish I would have found them before I paid $100 more for mine from Amazon.

Another thing to keep in mind is Chrysler outsources their parts and you won't see a Mopar OE parts factory for these ZJ's. Yeah, they often have higher quality parts they stand behind, you're going to pay the price, and a better deal to buy the manufactured brand who makes them for Mopar if you can find it.

I've made friends with a guy, known for 10 years, who runs the parts department at the local dealer. He gives me a wholesale discount but will tell me outright if I need to go somewhere else if their part is ridiculously high. Good example is a rear door lock actuator/assembly for $120 and I'll be going to the jy. After being on my 3rd PCM I asked him last year how much a new Mopar PCM was for my 96 and he said there's no such thing these ZJ's are so old. They outsource them for rebuild and that's all you can buy.

Unread 06-12-2013, 05:32 PM   #14
dusterdude
1996 ZJ 

Hell yea!!!! 105 bucks off fleabay for the whole nine yards.extremely happy
dusterdude is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2013, 06:12 PM   #15
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uniblurb View Post
He gives me a wholesale discount
The 'cuz' price :P
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.