What is going on with my ZJ? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What is going on with my ZJ?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 05-09-2013, 05:26 PM   #1
BPF317
1997 ZJ 

What is going on with my ZJ?

So the last couple of times I have drove my jeep home from work I would stop by the store and when I come out I have coolant ejected and all over the ground. It is coming out of the over flow tube (that goes down and out the wheel well from the reservoir). I checked the radiator and it is full but the reservoir is now completely empty. What is going on the my reservoir doesn't have any coolant but my radiator is full? What do I do to fix this problem?

1997 Jeep Grand Cherokee 5.2L

BPF317 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-09-2013, 05:46 PM   #2
BPF317
1997 ZJ 

Just found this... the forth problem looks promising. Would this cause reverse pressure to be sent back to the reservoir and make it eject fluid out the overflow tube?

13. Overheating Issues

Start by replacing your thermostat and water pump. They are easy wrenching and the parts are cheap. 195 degree thermostat.

Second, check and replace the fan clutch. Chuck the fan back and fourth. Any movement is bad and can cause wear on the water pump bearing. Also, if the fan spins more then a third of the way around cold, it needs replaced.

Third, flush the coolant system. There is a plug at the bottom of the radiator that makes this an easy process. Please don't do this while engine is warm.

Fourth, replace the radiator cap with a new 18 pound cap. The spring can become faulty and cause improper flow. Coolant bubbling in the reservoir is a good way to tell if the cap needs replaced.

Fifth, clean both sides of the radiator. Mud/bug/debris filled fins will not allow proper cooling.

Sixth, burp the cooling system. If there is air in the system it will wreak havoc on the flow. Do this by parking on a steep incline and let the engine run from a cold start for the few minutes with the cap off.

Seventh, for slight overheating at cruise you're looking at a clogged catalytic converter. Low engine vacuum at cruise and high back pressure caused by the clogged exhaust leads to a build-up of heat and pressure in the engine.
BPF317 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.