what gives, sounds off or is it - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > what gives, sounds off or is it

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great valueRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits

Unread 06-30-2004, 04:25 PM   #1
Packy

what gives, sounds off or is it

Hi all, I just tried my MB Quart 6x9 coaxial in the front door and
1) it didnt really fit ( not sure if its the black barrier stuff or just the cage of the speaker is too big.
2) I was only getting low range sound out of it.

Whats wrong and what do I need to do?

whoops i forgot , its a 99 GC with the Infinity sound system

Last edited by Packy; 06-30-2004 at 04:28 PM..
Packy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 04:39 PM   #2
wrigleylaredo
2008 KJ Liberty 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Packy
Hi all, I just tried my MB Quart 6x9 coaxial in the front door and
1) it didnt really fit ( not sure if its the black barrier stuff or just the cage of the speaker is too big.
2) I was only getting low range sound out of it.

Whats wrong and what do I need to do?

whoops i forgot , its a 99 GC with the Infinity sound system
I was looking to upgrade my system as well, oddly enough MB Quart was one of the brands I considered.
The salesperson I spoke to said if I upgrade speakers to replace my stocks, it would be wise to upgrade my stereo as well. The amp cannot power the MB's very well and will distort the sound. Even if you have the Infinity in your GC. I would have to go to a much "lower" end speaker system in order for my stock amp and stereo to power it properly and sound decent.
wrigleylaredo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 04:54 PM   #3
Packy

Yeah, my sound guy said that a pair of Memphis Audio 3ways would work with the stock amp, but car payments and insurance kept me from gettin them, so I used my MB's from my TA, sounded muffled and I guess the bass was there. These are rated 60 to 100 watts or so.

No highs thou, so I guess Ill have to up the amp at some point
Packy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2004, 05:11 PM   #4
Buddha_Kip
2000 WJ 

to answer your questions...

1.) The max mounting depth of the front door is 2 7/8". Depending on which series of MB Quart you got, your speaker may be too deep, in which case, you will need a spacer which can be picked up at most any car audio store. The max opening is 8-1/2" x 5-3/4". Your basket should fit into this hole, but if for some reason it doesn't, you can trim out the "black barrier stuff" to fit your baskets.

2.) The Infinity speaker setup is as this...the fronts are setup as a component system, where the door speaker is used for midbass only, and the dash tweeter is your highs...disconnect either and you'll either get all highs or all lows. If the MB Quarts you got to replace your stock ones is the Reference RCE 269, you can wire up the tweeter to your stock tweeter wiring. If you got the Discus DKE 169 instead, you'll have to splice both sets of wires for the front speakers together and run it all to your 6x9's.

eg. your front right speaker wire colors (from the amp going out to the speakers) should be -
LB/BK - right front door speaker (-)
LB/RD - right front door speaker (+)
OR/BK - right front dash speaker (-)
OR/RD - right front dash speaker (+)

you will want to cut the OR (orange) wire of both positive and negative and splice them into the LB (light blue) wires (matching up positive and negative of course).

doing it this way will have the full signal running into your doors. don't attempt to cut the wiring from the speaker itself, as there is no physical wire running through that rubber boot between your door and door channel...it's a giant plug-in with pins to connect everything.
Buddha_Kip is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.