What is this gasket for? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What is this gasket for?

Bill Baird Motorsports DIY parts - NalinMFG.comFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 10-19-2013, 06:05 PM   #1
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

What is this gasket for?

I have a 1 piece rubber oil-pan gasket. I just bought this timing cover gasket set... What this one for? Does it go on the bottom? Do I sandwich it on top of the pan gasket? Do I cut the front section of the pan gasket out and replace with this piece... I'm VERY skeptical about doing something like that.

photo-2.jpg

congerz83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-19-2013, 06:36 PM   #2
WJ4x4LIFE

when replacing a 4.0L oil pan gasket from the original some came as the older 4 piece setup and then converted to 1 piece design as we know today, the extra front 1 piece was a replacement as many techs would see it to leak and as a PRECAUTION, cut and replace just the FRONT piece, so they would not have to go back in later to replace the whole thing....I would not worry about it, if you do not have an issue from there to begin with. Hopefully, this gets you going....
WJ4x4LIFE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 06:26 AM   #3
OverlandZJ
1998 ZJ 

^^It does appear to be the front portion for oilpan under the timing cover.

I'd install the timing cover, then the 1 piece oilpan gasket.

I read a lot of guys having leaks after replacing the oilpan.. I always use some semi-permanent Hi-Tack adhesive to adhere the oilpan gasket to block using the pan bolts, let it sit overnight and then pull bolts and install pan. This usually prevents the front or rear "dip" from moving and causing a leak.
OverlandZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 07:01 AM   #4
Mean Max
Don't poke the bear

1991 YJ Wrangler 

It is the timing cover to oil pan seal. It's used when the timing cover is removed (without removing the oil pan) on an engine with the 4-piece oil pan gasket.

If you have the 1-piece oil pan gasket, you don't need it.

Personally I don't pull the timing cover without pulling the oil pan, and I always use the 1-piece oil pan gasket.

Max

Quote:
Originally Posted by UltimatE View Post
Max has a picture of every Jeep part ever made.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Benderff View Post
No one here knows what they are talking about. You should try Pirate 4x4 they will be happy to help you.

There is no situation that cannot be improved with a small but well-placed explosive.
Mean Max is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-20-2013, 12:06 PM   #5
congerz83
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverlandZJ View Post
semi-permanent Hi-Tack adhesive
What brand to you use? I was going to put Permatex 518 on both sides of the pan gasket... I cleaned t up with brake clean.
congerz83 is offline   Reply With Quote

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.