What front driveshaft do I have? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What front driveshaft do I have?

SYE Kits from CCOR! 706-207-4140Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955SPARTAN LOCKERS are on sale BIG TIME at ROCKRIDGE 4WD!

Unread 03-11-2011, 03:43 PM   #1
ZaneMasterX
1996 ZJ 

What front driveshaft do I have?

Hey guys I have searched and haven found much but can someone just identify my front driveshaft? Also I need to get it rebuilt I think it is making some pretty bad noises at the u joint by the TC...I have a 3.5" lift do I need a different driveshaft due to the lift? Also my jeep is the 1996 with the 249 is it safe to pull the drive shaft out and run for awhile while I get this one fixed or get a new one? I hear its ok in a 96-98 but not 93-95. Thanks!

ZaneMasterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-11-2011, 09:48 PM   #2
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Might as well pull the front DS. It's a CV style which is not ideal with any lift. Looks like you have a leaky pinion seal as well. You can get a u-joint conversion that has a CV style flange so you don't even have to switch yokes. Or you can swap out yokes and go to a full double cardan with all u-joints.
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:34 AM   #3
ZaneMasterX
1996 ZJ 

OK thanks! I pretty much found what I was looking for a couple hours after I posted that. I was thinking about saying screw it and buying a Tom Woods custom driveshaft to replace this thing....My question is is it hard to change yokes seeing is how I would have to? I might as well change the pinion seal while Im down there but how hard is it to do them?.....Also, I was wanting to ge tthe conventional double cardan shaft from Toms (the one with 3 u-joints) and changing the yoke...would that be good for my application? Im never going higher than 3.5" of lift and their website says I can use that shaft....I also might be changing to a 242 soon so if I do will this shaft also work with the new 242 swapped for my now 249? Thanks Im a real noob when it comes to driveline stuff.
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:46 AM   #4
RJSoAZ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZaneMasterX View Post
OK thanks! I pretty much found what I was looking for a couple hours after I posted that. I was thinking about saying screw it and buying a Tom Woods custom driveshaft to replace this thing....My question is is it hard to change yokes seeing is how I would have to? I might as well change the pinion seal while Im down there but how hard is it to do them?.....Also, I was wanting to ge tthe conventional double cardan shaft from Toms (the one with 3 u-joints) and changing the yoke...would that be good for my application? Im never going higher than 3.5" of lift and their website says I can use that shaft....I also might be changing to a 242 soon so if I do will this shaft also work with the new 242 swapped for my now 249? Thanks Im a real noob when it comes to driveline stuff.

I had the same plan, but decided to go with a junk yard replacement/upgrade to the conventional u-joint. It wasnt hard to change the yoke, but i didnt change the pinion seal, not sure if that would have made it more difficult.

I decided to wait for for the custom drive shaft until I was completely done with the drive drive train. After a 249-231, axle swap, and maybe another 2 inches of lift for 6 inches total. All of which would change the drive shaft length, not to mention I did the swap for about 1/4 of the cost
RJSoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:48 AM   #5
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

[

Last edited by harwood909; 03-12-2011 at 07:51 AM.. Reason: Double Post SORRY
harwood909 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:50 AM   #6
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virmagicus View Post
You can get a u-joint conversion that has a CV style flange so you don't even have to switch yokes.
And where may I find this?

Literally Built
Unread 03-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #7
ZaneMasterX
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood909 View Post
I agree...Also what kind of rig did you pull that conventional cardan from so I can look out for a replacement that way instead of spending the big bucks.
Unread 03-12-2011, 11:34 AM   #8
RJSoAZ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I agree...Also what kind of rig did you pull that conventional cardan from so I can look out for a replacement that way instead of spending the big bucks.
I pulled mine from a 96 ZJ with the 6cyl... odd that the stronger shaft is in the smaller motor
RJSoAZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 12:14 PM   #9
Virmagicus
Headed Out West

1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by harwood909 View Post

http://www.4xshaft.com/

or

http://www.carolinadriveline.com/
Virmagicus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-12-2011, 07:39 PM   #10
harwood909
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Hey guys I have searched and haven found much but can someone just identify my front driveshaft? Also I need to get it rebuilt I think it is making some pretty bad noises at the u joint by the TC...I have a 3.5" lift do I need a different driveshaft due to the lift? Also my jeep is the 1996 with the 249 is it safe to pull the drive shaft out and run for awhile while I get this one fixed or get a new one? I hear its ok in a 96-98 but not 93-95. Thanks!

If you want a technical term for the shaft... It's a Double Cardan Rezeppa

Literally Built
Unread 03-12-2011, 09:29 PM   #11
impulsebyer
1998 ZJ 

I have the same CV front part but a double U joint at the TC side. how hard is that to rebuild or is it just better to replace with a conventional shaft?
impulsebyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 12:47 AM   #12
ratmonkey
R.I.P.

1997 ZJ 

WOW. Bad pinion seal, bad cv joint, and bad double cardan. Probably be cheaper to buy a new shaft.

Replacing the pinion seal and take requires setting the pinion rotating torque again, it well take a minimum of 175ftlbs on the but and you need to measure rotating torque with a 0-60inlb beam or dial torque wrench. Measure initial rotating torque before you pull the nut(you need to remove the axle internals first), add 5inlbs when reassembled.

You can buy the drive shaft cv joint and replace it yourself easily though. The double cardan is more frustrating.

ratmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-13-2011, 08:56 AM   #13
ZaneMasterX
1996 ZJ 

Guess my next question is how hard is it to change the pinion yoke? Do I have to tear everything down (internals etc) to do it? How hard is it to gut a differential? I have never done any differential work before just pretty much everything else...Also can you direct me to the cv adapter? Could I just pull a front ds from another rig thats a standard cardane style and use the adapter or will I need a shorter front ds to compensate for the adapter? Thanks again for all the help guys because currently I cant drive my rig until this is addressed and on monday when I can get to a yard to see if I can find a new front ds and get it rebuilt.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.