What exhaust tool to remove pipes? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What exhaust tool to remove pipes?

Smittybilt Hard Tops @ Oconee Off-Road! 706-534-9955XHD Heavy-Duty Hood Latches for JK and TJ available at OcoFS: Jeep Fog Light LED Bulbs! Several Brightness Options!

Unread 09-10-2010, 07:37 PM   #1
JLARSJ

What exhaust tool to remove pipes?

Hey all,
What exhaust tool or what is the best method/trick to removing a pipe from inside another pipe after it's been crimped on there?

I used my bushing removal method with a sawsall, but there's has to be something better/faster!!?????

Here was my method but worked
(Muffler was two months old so nearly brand new.)

JLARSJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 07:57 PM   #2
CrzyMtnMan
1996 ZJ 

Looks like you did a good job, I would just cut (sawsall, cut off wheel, torch) at the crimed seam, remove and replace. Looks like there is still some room to work with on the muffler. Honestly, there are some great exhaust shops where I live that do the work cheap, and offer a great warranty, I let them worry about it on my personal vehicles.
CrzyMtnMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-10-2010, 09:07 PM   #3
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

what you did, then use a tail pipe expander on an impact to straighten out the muffler
Unread 09-11-2010, 05:50 AM   #4
JLARSJ

Ok, thanks for the input guys.

The tailpipe expander was a neat little tool, rented one from Advance and worked well.

Unread 09-11-2010, 06:51 AM   #5
4Slow9erHybrid
1997 ZJ 

If you use a band clamp like this one

you won't have this problem again.
1997 JGC Laredo 4.0 4x4 99900mi * 0W30 German Castrol since 75k * 225/75/R15 Firestone Destination AT on Ravine rims * winter 235/75/R15 Bridgestone Blizzak DM-V1 * UC suspension * Monroe Reflex Monotube shocks * factory skids * KOR steering brace * rear Addco SB * Magnaflow cat and cat back system * complete 5.9 interior
4Slow9erHybrid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2010, 07:13 AM   #6
JLARSJ

Quote:
Originally Posted by guthycs View Post
If you use a band clamp like this one
Nice!
Unread 09-11-2010, 10:42 AM   #7
bigbossd1030
1995 YJ Wrangler 

As previously mentioned, a blowtorch works well in this situation.
When you heat it up real nice, hit it with some oil... right in the open crack where the pipes connect.
If you can manage to do it right (I have only been able to do it once in one try) then it will shock the inner pipe first, then you yank on it.
Again I have only done this once, and I can only guess what happened to cause it to come out so easily.
Must have been my lucky day.
[COLOR="Blue"]OFFICIAL JEEPER[/COLOR]
[COLOR="Red"]Any Jeepers in Edmonton, AB
I am on channel 33.[/COLOR]
I live, I ride, I am JEEP.
bigbossd1030 is offline   Reply With Quote

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.