What Exhaust system should i get? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What Exhaust system should i get?

Stainless Steel Door Hinge PinsPoly Door Hinge BushingsSavvy/Currie Aluminum Control Arms

Unread 07-11-2003, 02:26 PM   #1
Jas

What Exhaust system should i get?

Hey i'm pretty new to working on cars and need some help. right now I have a completely stock 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4. I want to put a new exhaust system in, but i need some tips on which system to get. Also what are some good mods i can do to gain some hp for not alot of money. I want my jeep to be quicker on the exceleration and need some help with that. I plan to put in a new intake aswell.

Thanks

Jas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2003, 11:55 AM   #2
RockPaws

I have run different exhaust systems through the years. My favorite is the Borla cat-back (www.borla.com). It has a nice low rumble tone, stainless steel design, and workmanship is great. Second, would be a FlowMaster, they have good sound, but the draw back is,it's not stainless steel.
As for the intake; K&N (www.knfilter.com) has the FIPK (fuel injection performance kit). That may be only for the V8 engines, you'll have to check. I have used K&N filter forover 15 years on all my vehicles. Just follow the cleaning instruction to the letter. Their web site has some good tips.
Start with those, you will notice a HP gain, and maybe a mileage increase.
Frank.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-12-2003, 01:50 PM   #3
Jas

Thanks for all the info, My jeep is a V8 so that wont be a problem, also this is going to sound like a silly question but how do i find out what size engine i have. i can't figure out if its a 4.0L 5.2L or a 5.9L? Also how hard is it to install a FIPK, could i do it myself or does it need to be professionaly installed.

Thanks
Jas
Jas is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 12:38 AM   #4
Colorado 5.9
1998 ZJ 

Well, If you don't have a Grand Cherokee 5.9 LTD & you know you have a V8. Then you have a 5.2 Liter. The 4.0 is the strait 6 cylinder motor.
ZJ 98 5.9 LTD. Lots of mods. 7" T&T's Long Arm Lift ,BFG KM2"s,35X12.50x16's,4:56's, Vanco brake upgrade, M1intake,Holley52mmTB,MikeLeach Headers,, Arb'ed HP D30,Aussie Locked rear,Procomp MX6 Shocks,Arb front,RearTR bumpers,ECT.ECT.

Latest Pics
Colorado 5.9 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 10:51 AM   #5
RockPaws

The K&N FIPK should be very straight forward to install. If you are an average "backyard" mechanic, you should not have a problem. If you have a friend who is good working on vehicles, have them come over and watch just to make sure. Never hurts to have a second set of eyes looking it over.
One tip on removing the factory air filter box. The 3 bolts that hold it in place don't come out from the top (or inside the assembly). Remove the 3 nuts on the bottom, they are located in the forward part of the wheelwell. You will need to hold the top part of the bolts in the assembly. If you just try and remove the upper bolt, it will probably break.
[FONT=Trebuchet MS]01' Jeep TJ (Jeep #5)
3.5 RE Custom SuperFlex, Raingler, Kilby, Currie, Banks, Borla, American Racing, Custom mods, Always more in the works.
[URL=http://www.redrock4x4.com][COLOR=Blue]www.redrock4x4.com Rocks![/COLOR][/URL]
[URL=www.needhim.org/][COLOR=Blue]Need Him?[/COLOR][/URL][/FONT]
RockPaws is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 11:00 AM   #6
Texas ZJ1
Jeep Jedi Master

1994 ZJ 

Welcome to the forums.

By the way, take some time to email Nick Kolak at kolak@aol.com. He is a engine guru.

You can also look at www.jeepsunlimited.com/forums under the speed freaks for engine mods.

Hunter

I have the turbocity dual air intake and the magnaflow performance exhaust with the Mopar performance computer.

94 5.9 Laredo 6.5 RE lift with 35 Maxxis Bighorns
and 33 Bridgestone Duelers
Detroit and true trac
Red Jeep Club Member
REDNECK JCM
Texas Jeep Owner #6
USN Jeep Club #4
http://www.kevinsoffroad.com/

For your performance needs:

kolak@kolakperformance.com
Texas ZJ1 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-14-2003, 11:36 AM   #7
96Limited

Re: What Exhaust system should i get?

Quote:
Originally posted by Jas
Hey i'm pretty new to working on cars and need some help. right now I have a completely stock 98 Jeep Grand Cherokee 4X4. I want to put a new exhaust system in, but i need some tips on which system to get. Also what are some good mods i can do to gain some hp for not alot of money. I want my jeep to be quicker on the exceleration and need some help with that. I plan to put in a new intake aswell.

Thanks
I went from stock to Flowmaster 2 chamber Duals, with K&N filter......sounds great. And it does add some horsepower.
I've had no problems.. I have heard many good things about the Borla system as well.
>>work in progress<<

[FONT=lucida sans unicode][B][SIZE=2][color=darkred]Red Jeep Club Member #54[/color] [/SIZE] [/B] [/FONT]

[FONT=lucida sans unicode][B][SIZE=2]Certain Death Jeep Club Member #9[/SIZE] [/B] [/FONT]

[B][COLOR=red][SIZE=3]NE[/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=white][SIZE=3]Off[/SIZE][/COLOR][COLOR=blue][SIZE=3]Roading[/SIZE][/COLOR][/B]

+There Is Only One Jeep+
96Limited is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-15-2003, 11:02 PM   #8
Scottolan

I personally love Dynomax mufflers.. I have had Flowmasters and the drone just kills me!!! the 2 and 3 chambers both drone.. I finally went and got some Dynomax bullets (look like old school glasspacks but better design) and I love them!!! I have them on my 88 Mustang 5.0 A good choice for your truck would probably be the Ultraflow Welded by dynomax or Ultraflow Round... you can check them out and they also have sound files at www.dynomax.com

PS little tidbit of info: Dynomax's parent company is Walker who also makes the Thrush line of mufflers and also Flowtech mufflers and other exhaust parts like headers...

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.