What else should I do while 4.0 tore apart? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What else should I do while 4.0 tore apart?

Clayton Off Road WJ Long Arm Kits!Clayton Off Road - JK Prototype Gas Tank SkidTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFG

Unread 06-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #1
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

What else should I do while 4.0 tore apart?

Hello all I was planning on doing a freeze plug job tomorrow but no where in town has them in stock so I have to order them in. This gives me a little time to think about what else I may want to do to the truck while its tore apart. I just bought the 1997 2wd with 162,000 miles. I don't know anything about the history but it seems to run well with the exception of a leaky valve cover and a really bad leaking freeze plug. Here is what my original plan was:

Replace the 5 freeze plugs on the side of the block

Replace the Intake and Exhaust manifold gaskets since they have to be removed for the freeze plug job.

Replace water pump since its cheap and it may also be leaking coolant.

Replace valve cover gasket

Replace belt.

I've already replaced the oil and filter with Rotella T-5 10w-30 and a motorcraft fl1a. I haven't serviced the tranny yet but its shifting really smooth as is. What else might I want to service while the intake and exhaust manifolds are off? What else should be looked at with a used ZJ when you don't know the vehicles history? I am planning on taking this truck on the road, 500 miles or less trips and I want to get it in good shape. Also I'm gonna coat the back of the freeze plugs with rtv per Oldfrogs recommendation, should any of the other three gaskets that I'm going to replace get rtv? Thanks for any info guys.

JBrady5555 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:17 PM   #2
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

Inspect the exhaust manifold for cracks, If its original equipment it is probably cracked at the collector and / or near the head.

The rear crank case vent is tricky to remove without breaking. It has to come off to remove the valve cover. Be prepared to replace it. Its a metered orifice.
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:25 PM   #3
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Yea I need to get that exhaust figured out, its pretty loud and vibrates the truck alot. Not a good kind of loud but broken exhaust loud. I tried to check autozone.com for the crankcase vent but I didn't see it, would it be called something else?
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:41 PM   #4
dnuccio
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrady5555 View Post
would it be called something else?
PCV valve. stands for positive crankcase ventilation
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:49 PM   #5
ZeeJay1997
1997 ZJ 

give them the OEM part number. 53030495
ZeeJay1997 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2013, 09:54 PM   #6
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Thanks
Unread 06-28-2013, 04:11 AM   #7
AVR2
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBrady5555 View Post
Replace the Intake and Exhaust manifold gaskets since they have to be removed for the freeze plug job
FWIW, the 4.0L uses a single common gasket for the intake and exhaust manifolds.

You might want to give the throttle body and IAC valve a clean while you have the intake manifold off, and you might also consider the fuel injector upgrade.

One piece of advice I can give you is to slightly modify the FSM pattern for re-torquing the manifold bolts. If you do it the FSM way, the first thing you torque is the exhaust manifold nut nearest the front of the engine, and the last thing you torque is the same nut at the firewall end. That final nut is impossible to get a torque wrench onto with the intake in the way reducing access to almost nothing.

Instead, torque the firewall-end nut first, before you put the intake back on, and do the nut at the front of the engine last. Then it's easy.
AVR2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2013, 11:26 AM   #8
rooster51
1997 ZJ 

If your removing all that, it only makes sense to install 99+ intake, 62mm throttle body& headers. At least.
Unread 06-28-2013, 05:21 PM   #9
JBrady5555
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by rooster51 View Post
If your removing all that, it only makes sense to install 99+ intake, 62mm throttle body& headers. At least.
I would if I had the cash, lol. I'm gonna start a new thread with some pictures and questions. I got most of the way through the tear down, but freeze plugs and gaskets wont be at autozone til the morning.

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.