What does your trailer hitch install look like? - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What does your trailer hitch install look like?

Brand New! Quadratec LED Headlights!FS: Wrangler RGB Multicolor Fog Light LEDs: Awesome EffectFS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye Kit

Unread 02-15-2010, 02:08 PM   #1
grandcherokee12
1999 WJ 

What does your trailer hitch install look like?

Hey guys, I need to install a trailer hitch (class III) and as of now I don't have the oem bumper that has a place for it. I've seen some places sell the bezel so I can cut it my self. I thought about just having the reciever come out right under the bumper, but I'm not sure how it will look. If you guys have any good ideas I would really like to hear them and I would really apprecaite pictures too. Thanks.

Unread 02-15-2010, 02:51 PM   #2
ezflip
Theme Park Dinosaur Head

2002 WJ 

For the cleanest look, just hit up a junkyard for an OEM hitch and snatch up the bezel while you're there. Chrysler was nice enough to put a line on the inside of the bumper to guide you in cutting.

IMHO, that will be the cleanest and best looking option. I just never liked the under the bumper hitches.

2002 Overland - 4.7 HO, "Select-Drive", 4" RC long arms, TAG front winch bumper, 32" BFG KM's, Kolak 3" exhaust, Flowmaster 50 series

Build Thread

KCCO
ezflip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-15-2010, 02:57 PM   #3
table
2000 WJ 

There were very faint indicators on the inside rear of the bumper cover pinpointing where to drill and where to cut for the bezel. You can leave it that way until you find a bezel, or just have no bezel. Junkyards should have some.

Drill & saw points are here: http://www.wjjeeps.com/pdf/trailer_bezel_install.pdf

If you're not using the factory hitch, you may not need to cut the bumper at all. Many trailer hitches come out below the factory bumper (Uhaul).
Unread 02-15-2010, 05:40 PM   #4
grandcherokee12
1999 WJ 

Thanks for the input. If I decide not to cut the bumper, then I'd be looking for a hitch the doesnt sit as low as the 'uhaul' style ones. I havent been able to find any pictures of jeeps with a set up like that, and its hard to tell where it will sit in just a picture of the hitch.
If you guys have seen any more discreet set up, please let me know. Thanks.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.