What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 984 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineDan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE

Unread 08-10-2012, 05:23 PM   #14746
dunkeye11
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyZJORVIS
ANOTHER TEAR DOWN so not even a month from replaceing the head gaskets and well all the gaskets and seals its all tore down again to replace two burntup intake ad exuast valves on cylinder 4 hopefully have her back together tom and on the trail tom night can't wait holding this head bolt don't round off its on there TIGHT!!!! And i also painted my valve covers red to make all the other red miscellaneousness.
What did you paint them with?

dunkeye11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 05:25 PM   #14747
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Weighed the ole girl
5060lbs.....fully loaded with full tank, tools, and spares
Unread 08-10-2012, 05:47 PM   #14748
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyZJORVIS View Post
ANOTHER TEAR DOWN so not even a month from replaceing the head gaskets and well all the gaskets and seals its all tore down again to replace two burntup intake ad exuast valves on cylinder 4 hopefully have her back together tom and on the trail tom night can't wait holding this head bolt don't round off its on there TIGHT!!!! And i also painted my valve covers red to make all the other red miscellaneousness.
Nice!! Hopefully you used some high-temp engine enamel so the paint lasts for a long time. I figure if you are going to spend your hard earned money and time making repairs, she might as well look better when your done vs when you started.

I JUST DID THIS while replacing valve cover gaskets and I can tell she likes her painted covers .... Just like a girl to want a lil jeep jewelery and some pollish on her nails.
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 06:29 PM   #14749
98GCLimited
1998 ZJ 

Decided to mod the grill on the ZJ.

-Cut out the stock louvers in each of the 7 holes with wire cutters.
-Ground down with a dremel and hand sanded smooth the areas where the louvers connected.
-Washed the grill and dried it.
-Masking taped off everything but the inside of the holes where it was dark grey factory paint.
-Painted the unmasked areas.
-Cut the mesh to fit and formed them around the back of the holes.
-Painted the 7 mesh grill pieces.
-Epoxied the mesh grills into place and reinstalled the grill.

Might sound like it took a while but it was pretty easy and gave me a little project to work on for a couple days.

I fail at taking before pics of the factory grill...

So here is a stock grill looks like only mine was gold with dark grey in the holes where it is black now.

And a couple pics of the grill in progress. I had cut out the louvers and sanded and masked and painted the centers black already.

Test fitting the mesh this is silver still unpainted.

Then painted the mesh black and installed the grills using 5 min epoxy.

Here is the pics of the finished grill installed.

98GCLimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 06:42 PM   #14750
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

Grill looks great!! You might consider going over the support v's and other areas behind the grill with flat black so they are not so visable. Nice job.
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2012, 07:21 PM   #14751
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon411 View Post
Grill looks great!! You might consider going over the support v's and other areas behind the grill with flat black so they are not so visable. Nice job.
Those supports are black. It's just the glare.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 04:53 AM   #14752
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Phfisters will come to a great home also, just need to figure out transporting it here to NC from PA. I refuse to let a ZJ with years left in it to go to a possible bad home. I'm sure I could rebuild the 42re or get an good used one. Ugh.. Just need the right price
Yeah, I'd rather not see it go to someone who calls a t-case a diff, lol. I love my ZJ, and the day I find a niner for a reasonable price I will be in one again for sure.

Edit: Yesterday I started taking the subwoofers out of my ZJ, disconnected the battery, and gonna start cleaning up the inside so it can await it's fate (either in my garage or MrObvious' drive way).
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 07:52 AM   #14753
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfister

Yeah, I'd rather not see it go to someone who calls a t-case a diff, lol. I love my ZJ, and the day I find a niner for a reasonable price I will be in one again for sure.

Edit: Yesterday I started taking the subwoofers out of my ZJ, disconnected the battery, and gonna start cleaning up the inside so it can await it's fate (either in my garage or MrObvious' drive way).
I'm voting for driveway
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 10:30 AM   #14754
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Went to the junk yard today for a motor mount, driver seat, and coolant level sensor. Left empty handed...
mandrews000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 11:02 AM   #14755
sevenscrew
1997 ZJ 

vacuumed my whole jeep our spotless, you cant find a spec of dirt or hair if you wanted to. did under the seats, cargo, inside door pouches in console etc! the tough stuffed the front and all the seats real quick, didnt have a lot of it so did a quick job.

put my craftsman tool set in the back along with 2 rolls of wrenches (12 pc) both sae and metric. a pair of vice grips screw drivers a 3/8 swivel. before i go offroading again(mid september) ill be adding a crate with like engine oil brake fluid coolant, drinking water etc. into a crate. for now that is just extra weight. need to replace a motor mount, and track bar, before i go offroading again, then the catalytic converter.

Oh yeah, i was happy to see i got lucky and i got my craftsman tools when they were made in the usa (ratchets too) so i feel good about my tools lol
sevenscrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 11:39 AM   #14756
country93
1997 ZJ 

Got some 31x10.50s on the stock zj. Only rub at full lock. Still trying to figure out how to upload pictures
country93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 11:51 AM   #14757
country93
1997 ZJ 

Here it is
a343e628.jpg  
country93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 12:02 PM   #14758
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Cleaned up the ml specs I had on my windows today.
Unread 08-11-2012, 01:36 PM   #14759
SchizophrenicMC
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by country93 View Post
Got some 31x10.50s on the stock zj. Only rub at full lock. Still trying to figure out how to upload pictures
That's the same size tires I have on the Pathfinder. I wish the Pathy had 5-lug wheels, so I could test-fit them on the Jeep. Oh well.

Shoulda had a V8
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2012, 01:58 PM   #14760
country93
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post
That's the same size tires I have on the Pathfinder. I wish the Pathy had 5-lug wheels, so I could test-fit them on the Jeep. Oh well.
Yeah I was surprised how well they fit.

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.