Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#19,003 ·
Going to hunt down someone local who wants to trade an IRO 3.5" benchmark with only two outings on it for their stock rear coils, shocks, front track bar, and sway bar links.

I've just been doing inventory of my vehicles and would like to return the jeep to near stock before I part ways with it.

#19,004 ·
There are times when it's necessary when you're wheeling.
Agreed. It can add a measure of control when crawling over stuff. It also can be used to prevent rollback when taking off on steep hills on the street. And for the few of us that have tried it and gotten good at it, it's useful when rev-matching downshifts while braking when coming off the highway.

#19,005 ·
There are times when it's necessary when you're wheeling.
agreed. climbing steep hills etc... i usually use two feet and let off the brake in a similar fashion to a clutch. i figure as long as i time it so that the gas and brakes arent working against each other, then it is easier on the transmission not to have the full weight of the car working against it. so instead of rolling back then going forward, you sort of rev to about a thousand then let off the brakes so its just enough to get you moving slowly instead of quickly switching from brakes to gas and gunning it.

correct me if im wrong, im always looking to improve my driving. any input?

#19,006 ·
agreed. climbing steep hills etc... i usually use two feet and let off the brake in a similar fashion to a clutch. i figure as long as i time it so that the gas and brakes arent working against each other, then it is easier on the transmission not to have the full weight of the car working against it. so instead of rolling back then going forward, you sort of rev to about a thousand then let off the brakes so its just enough to get you moving slowly instead of quickly switching from brakes to gas and gunning it.

correct me if im wrong, im always looking to improve my driving. any input?
It's not really any easier or harder on the trans (torque converter still sees about the same load and amount of slippage), but it can make it easier to drive smoothly, not brake traction from a sudden shock of power, etc.

#19,007 ·
It's not really any easier or harder on the trans (torque converter still sees about the same load and amount of slippage), but it can make it easier to drive smoothly, not brake traction from a sudden shock of power, etc.
did not know that. one thing i havent learned about yet is the inner workings of my transmission. thanks for your input. :)
safe to say im not hurting the car by doing that on hills though?

#19,008 ·
did not know that. one thing i havent learned about yet is the inner workings of my transmission. thanks for your input. :)
safe to say im not hurting the car by doing that on hills though?
Correct. Provided you don't sit there applying throttle in gear with the Jeep not moving for more than a few seconds (builds a lot of heat in the trans), you're hurting nothing.

#19,009 ·
In other news, the new tires are on. 235/70/16 Bridgestone Dueler H/T's with less than 5,000 miles on them. $160 mounted and out the door. That's total--not per tire. Craigslist comes through again! They're a little bigger than before, but I like it. And the price was right. AAAAND!!! The guy who mounted my tires, I found out, owns a Deep Slate niner that I've seen around town. So, we talked Jeeps while I helped mount the tires. He didn't believe that the "Coolant Sensor Bad" fix was as easy as re-soldering the VIC... I think I made a new friend hahaha.

These tires will hold me over until I find something in stock that I like. They're better than the bald ones that came on it.

I'd really like to find some General UHPs, but nobody carries them in my size. Anyway, on to the pictures...

#19,011 ·
McCloudsZJ - The generals in 255/65R16 should fit quite nicely. I'm running a set of Toyo A/Ts in that size on mine (on stock wheels) and quite happy with them. They do rub a hair on the front LCAs at full lock, but it's minor and easily fixable by either tweaking the steering stops or adding small wheel spacers (I'll probably get some 3/4" ones in the spring).

#19,012 ·
That's for idiots who drive with two feet and keep their foot on the brake the whole time. I hate being stuck behind them because their brake lights are lit up constantly. It's as bad as having no brake lights. And I'm not calling all people who drive with both feet idiots, just the ones who can't get their foot off the pedal.
Agreed...that **** drives me crazy. I was just stuck behind someone doing that the other day. Drove me nuts

#19,014 ·
Josef86 said:
Going to hunt down someone local who wants to trade an IRO 3.5" benchmark with only two outings on it for their stock rear coils, shocks, front track bar, and sway bar links.

I've just been doing inventory of my vehicles and would like to return the jeep to near stock before I part ways with it.
I don't have a whole lot of need for more lift parts, but I've got plenty of stock parts?