What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 927 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Savvy/Currie Aluminum Control ArmsROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO December Specials at Jeephut.com

Unread 07-17-2012, 12:42 AM   #13891
JColee
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Have you adjusted the tension on the rod that goes down to the latch itself. You can pull the threaded section at the top of the rod out and then push it back in the holder once the slack is taken out of the rod assembly. The full arc of the handle motion should now be enough to release the latch.
I'll have to try that, does it just pull out of the bracket with a towards you motion?

JColee is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 04:58 AM   #13892
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Found this any takers on where it could be from? Only drips 3-4 small drips once you stop, and sometimes seems it won't drip at all... oil pressure is fine.

image-3963078730.jpg

image-4294739826.jpg

image-1111404775.jpg

image-2447158437.jpg

And yes I will be going back underneath with an degreaser and cleaning everything
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:32 AM   #13893
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon411

With a bad window switch, neither the pass or drivers master would be able to roll it down. Getting a replacement from the j/y is cheapest way to go. You might aslo have a bad regulator in that door. Use a 12v test light to see that you are getting power to and thru the switch.
This is wrong. There is a module screwed to the interior of door panel that has the switch in it. Mine went bad and neither would control the passenger window. Got a new module from a jy for 10 and now master and passenger both work.

Anyways, I am looking on cl to find a cheaper 5.2 zj, ill put all my stuff onto that one then use my current for parts.
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:26 AM   #13894
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Found this any takers on where it could be from? Only drips 3-4 small drips once you stop, and sometimes seems it won't drip at all... oil pressure is fine.

Attachment 434544

Attachment 434545

Attachment 434546

Attachment 434547

And yes I will be going back underneath with an degreaser and cleaning everything
Hey, that looks kind of like mine! A lot of oil blow back covers the belly. Here is what leaks on mine, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, possible rear main. That's hard to tell though with all the other oil. I just keep it topped off for now. Pressure is good. You can't see it visibly dripping. There is lots of card board on my garage floor and my friends don't let me park in their driveway.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 10:36 AM   #13895
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

5.9 HEADLINER TIME... got a Jo-Ann's flyer with 50% off coupons in the Sunday paper so getting it done for under $50. Second one for me as I did the 4.0 several years back - and to think they don't stock the red headliner fabric anymore!!! Anyway, if anyone's interested in what is needed I'll explain below.

Remove headliner carefully. Ask a friend to help so you don't accidentally try to hold on to an edge and break it. They're pretty flimsy but can be handled/ removed in one piece if you are careful.

Once out, I easily peeled off the fabric from the fiberglass backer. Then I cleaned off the old foam with a tire cleaning bristle brush and vacuum cleaner. Worked like a champ and got it very clean.

I used two cans of Weldwood Contact Cement - one gel and one regular. I like the regular one better as it seems to spread easier, the gel seems to go too fast and cakes up in areas then doesn't want to spread - gel is even harder to spread on the foam backed fabric. I lined up the material (3 yards) and peeled back 2 ft at the front of the backer by the sun-visor crevices. With help form a friend, we splattered the cement on both sides using disposable brushes, then let dry for a few minutes and stuck it on. Careful here as one mistake or wrinkle is very hard to work back out. We took out time and repeated the process until the whole thing was covered. Finally I trimmed the edges off and glued 1 inch all the way around the back of the board for added anti-droop feature. Still need to install it but I let it cure overnight.

Unread 07-17-2012, 10:53 AM   #13896
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

Hey, that looks kind of like mine! A lot of oil blow back covers the belly. Here is what leaks on mine, oil pan gasket, valve cover gaskets, possible rear main. That's hard to tell though with all the other oil. I just keep it topped off for now. Pressure is good. You can't see it visibly dripping. There is lots of card board on my garage floor and my friends don't let me park in their driveway.
Sad thing is that I cleaned and degreased the the valve covers and haven't seen anything from them. I don't think it's the rear main strictly to the fact it's so slow and doesn't drip more then a few drops only after its been parked. if its a rear main it's no big deal can knock that out in a few hours. I'm leaning towards oil pan. Which if the case I will do rear main anyways
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
Unread 07-17-2012, 11:11 AM   #13897
psychwarfare
1997 ZJ 

Well a month ago the 42re wouldn't shift out of first without great difficulty (a week prior to this the fluid looked fine and smelled fine). So I parked it and drove something else, figured I'd check it out later.

Ordered the Governor Pressure Sensor and Solenoid from Cascade last week since the solenoid code was read before the shifting issue became a crippling factor.

Set about changing everything out yesterday thinking the solenoid would be delivered...it wasn't...so I replaced the filter and fluid anyway just to help clean things out a bit. The fluid looked like used motor oil from a car that waited 15k for a change and had several thin strips of flimsy black material in it (not sure if this is band or clutch material or what since I never worked on a trans before)...filter was blackened and things just looked bad.

Put everything back together after a thorough cleaning and filled it up...drove a bit...filled a bit...drove a bit...filled a bit until everything read properly.

Car shifts a bit better now...reverse is back to functioning...OD works again...only issue is 1-2 upshift which I assume is the Governor still showing its failure...

Now the parts from Cascade should be here later this week so I'll do this all over again this coming weekend...with how bad the fluid was...i'm glad it will get another fill before the new solenoid/sensor are in...

Probably won't get much more life out of this thing...but we'll see...
psychwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:01 PM   #13898
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
Sad thing is that I cleaned and degreased the the valve covers and haven't seen anything from them. I don't think it's the rear main strictly to the fact it's so slow and doesn't drip more then a few drops only after its been parked. if its a rear main it's no big deal can knock that out in a few hours. I'm leaning towards oil pan. Which if the case I will do rear main anyways
Yea, mine looks like crap under there. A few layers of oil, dust, oil, dirt, oil ect hahaha. Same as my old ZJ. I would like to wait until I am doing exhaust work to to the oil pan so I can just cut the exhaust out instead of messing with the bolts. It's always fun driving to the shop with open headers.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:09 PM   #13899
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

Yea, mine looks like crap under there. A few layers of oil, dust, oil, dirt, oil ect hahaha. Same as my old ZJ. I would like to wait until I am doing exhaust work to to the oil pan so I can just cut the exhaust out instead of messing with the bolts. It's always fun driving to the shop with open headers.
Yeah gonna wait until tonight and get under there with some light and scrub that grease and oil off gonna be a great time
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:13 PM   #13900
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious

Yeah gonna wait until tonight and get under there with some light and scrub that grease and oil off gonna be a great time
Go to a carwash and steam it off, way easier.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:16 PM   #13901
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x

Go to a carwash and steam it off, way easier.
Really? I was worried about possibly putting water into motor
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:18 PM   #13902
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious

Really? I was worried about possibly putting water into motor
Not a problem
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:20 PM   #13903
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x

Not a problem
Thanks man!
Unread 07-17-2012, 12:55 PM   #13904
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

Thanks guys. I can control the passenger window from the drivers side, if that changes anything. I'm thinking of just trying to clean the switch.
ZJMTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 07-17-2012, 01:51 PM   #13905
joe_keefer
1994 ZJ 

Recharged my a/c!
joe_keefer is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.