What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 916 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

The NEW Revolution Gear and Axle from 4LowParts.comTHE NEW! VANCO DUAL MODE 15/16″ Big Brake Kit w/BlaEngo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shipp

Unread 07-12-2012, 11:19 PM   #13726
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
Would have taken you half that time to replace your radiator. Ask me how I know. I can swap one out in 45 minutes HOT to new

You sir, have a parasitic drain. Search the ZJ Tech forum for how to find it. It was posted mere weeks ago and it was awesome. Your battery is more than likely fine. Fix what is draining it.
Damn it. I'd almost prefer it be a dying battery. I freaking HATE electrical work.

--------
My new Jeep: 95 ZJ with 4.0L I6 (auto trans)
cubewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:33 PM   #13727
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

We have something in common!

Actually, it's not horrible tracking down a parasitic drain.

I even Googled it for you...

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=parasitic+drain+car+guy

Click the first link
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2012, 11:45 PM   #13728
cubewhiz
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
We have something in common!

Actually, it's not horrible tracking down a parasitic drain.

I even Googled it for you...

http://www.lmgtfy.com/?q=parasitic+drain+car+guy

Click the first link
Yeah, I've been researching it for about a half hour. It seems the most common culprit on the ZJ is the BCM.

I recently installed the missing power lock and power window switches on the front passenger door. I'm thinking they might have been missing for a reason. I also fixed the rear hatch a few days ago and a few threads mentioned that the rear hatch ajar switch was to blame.

I guess I'll figure it out tomorrow.
--------
My new Jeep: 95 ZJ with 4.0L I6 (auto trans)
cubewhiz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:27 AM   #13729
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

Took the valve covers from the 95 down to the pressure washer to get a preliminary cleaning. A combination of oil build up from leaky gaskets and 187000 miles of general crud accumulation has taken it's toll. After the pressure wash, hit them with a green scotchbrite pad and carb cleaner to get the heat-hardened gunk off and prep the surface for some fresh paint. Thought about painting them body color (moss green pearl) but figured engine paint would hold up better in "the long run." (great song by the eagles .... yep, train of thought just effin derailed!

Went to three parts stores before I finally found some chrysler blue which is bound to stand out against the oil stained engine and dirty intake!

BTW - The empty airbox makes a great tool/bolt bin while repairs are in progress.

Started my third coat of blue when a summer storm decided to roll in and piss on my parade. Luckily, I got them inside the garage just before the downpour. If I end up with water marks in the paint .... #%^#&^%

I will pressure wash the rest of the engine after the covers are on and the paint has a chance to bake on a bit. I also need to pull the pcm connector block and clean/repack with dielectric grease. Last time I pressure washed the engine compartment (when I first bought her) she sputtered, pissed and moaned all the way home. It took days to figure out the problem. Not going to play that game again.

Decided to call it a nite and took the 94 over to taco hell for something to eat. Had my camera so I took a few shots of the finished parking light mod. Like the way it turned out. Probably gonna do it to the 95 as well. Found a pic of the rear vents after a coat of gloss black and added it to the lineup.

BTW - Taco Hell has a new burrito (carnita i think it's called) and runs 5 bucks. Man, that sob was heavy!! Easily the best thing I have eaten from there ever. Y'all got to try it!

I am not sure which felt worse, getting carb cleaner into the many knicks and cuts I have gotten working on the valve covers today or the freakin fire sauce from the bell....
cimg6489-800.jpg   cimg6490-800.jpg   cimg6491-800.jpg   cimg6493-800.jpg   cimg6494-800.jpg  

cimg6509-800.jpg   cimg6510-800.jpg   cimg6511-800.jpg   cimg6513-800.jpg   imag0153-800.jpg  

Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 01:35 AM   #13730
jeepgoonie
1998 ZJ 

Changed my valve cover gasket.. There was none left of the old one.. It was pissing every where.. I can finally park in peoples driveways again!!
Unread 07-13-2012, 02:25 AM   #13731
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon411
Took the valve covers from the 95 down to the pressure washer to get a preliminary cleaning. A combination of oil build up from leaky gaskets and 187000 miles of general crud accumulation has taken it's toll. After the pressure wash, hit them with a green scotchbrite pad and carb cleaner to get the heat-hardened gunk off and prep the surface for some fresh paint. Thought about painting them body color (moss green pearl) but figured engine paint would hold up better in "the long run." (great song by the eagles .... yep, train of thought just effin derailed! Went to three parts stores before I finally found some chrysler blue which is bound to stand out against the oil stained engine and dirty intake! THe empty airbox makes a great tool/bolt bin while repairs are in progress, too.

Started my third coat of blue when a summer storm had to roll in and piss on my parade, luckily I got them inside the garage just before the downpour. If I end up with water marks in the paint .... #%^#&^%

I will pressure wash the rest of the engine after the covers are on and the paint has a chance to bake on a bit. I also need to pull the pcm connector block and clean/repack with dielectric grease. Last time I pressure washed the engine compartment (when I first bought her) she sputtered, pissed and moaned all the way home. It took days to figure out the problem. Not going to play that game again.

Decided to call it a nite and took the 94 over to taco hell for something to eat. Remembered the camera to take a few shots of the finished parking light mod. Like the way it turned out. Probably gonna do it to the 95 as well. Found a pic of the rear vents after a coat of gloss black and added it to the lineup.

BTW - Taco Hell has a new burrito (carnita i think it's called) and runs 5 bucks. Man, that sob was heavy!! Easily the best thing I have eaten from there ever. Y'all got to try it!
Bah! Hardly looks dirty!
Unread 07-13-2012, 06:50 AM   #13732
SDHarleydad

1994 ZJ 

Still going through my new /old ZJ... Getting the exhaust manifold fixed today.
SDHarleydad is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 06:57 AM   #13733
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by SDHarleydad View Post
Still going through my new /old ZJ... Getting the exhaust manifold fixed today.
.... Always liked the look of Ravines on a zj. Been thinking of getting a set for the 94.
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 08:08 AM   #13734
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

I started tearing the old axle down. The Housing and tubes are going to scrap. Should I pull the spindles? Wife says I don't need the junk laying around! Lol. I don't see any junk...
image-1941575019.jpg  
mandrews000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 09:52 AM   #13735
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Got some new bushings, and stabilizer. Then off to the trail and back home for a wash down

image-4232853086.jpg

image-448144246.jpg

image-3470013690.jpg
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:31 AM   #13736
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Went back to the jy this morning to exchange the 90 amp alt. I got yesterday for the 136 that I went there for in the first place. Pulled a 136 out of the same dakota I pulled my air hat out of, and was leaving with it when I look to the left, and there sits a durango. Didn't see it before because its not with the other jeeps and dodges. There happened to be two sitting in the same area in the next isle. So I go over to it, pop the hood and I see what looks to be a brand new alternator. I looked the part number up and it happened to be a 117 amp. I figured I would take this one instead because now I have the peace of mind of swapping in an alternator I know will work for a long time, and it still has higher amperage than the one I have. Also picked up a coolant overflow tank, since my cap broke and so did a couple of the tabs on the tank.
2012-07-13-12.22.21.jpg  
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 10:52 AM   #13737
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Steering box transplant!
image-259249799.jpg  
mandrews000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:15 AM   #13738
Freestyle713
1994 ZJ 

Anybody know what this black box is on the back of the alternator? Two wires and what looks like the neg. cable go into it, then the neg. cable comes back out to a ground. The alt. I just picked up just has two wires that go into a plug. Can I make it work? Just dont want to mess anything up.
2012-07-13-13.10.32.jpg   2012-07-13-13.11.09.jpg  
[B]94 Grand Cherokee 5.2[/B] [SIZE="1"]33in. Federal Couragia M/T's on Procomp Steelies, np231 swap, IRO Hack n Tap SYE, Carolina Driveshaft, 4.5 in. lift, RE front upper/rear lower ca's, RC front lowers, Ironman rear uppers, IRO 4.5 coils in rear, 3.5 and 2" bb (no isolators) in front, Bilstein 5100's, Clayton/JKS adj. track bars, KOR rad support and SS, Magnaflow/Flowmaster exhaust, clear corners, custom light bar w/ Hella 500's[/SIZE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Yellow"][URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/groups/zombie-outbreak-response-vehicles/"][COLOR="Yellow"]Zombie Outbreak Response Team[/COLOR][/URL][/COLOR][/CENTER]
[QUOTE=elcorvino;14544406]Yea... It's kind of like the fat chick who lives around the corner. You aren't trying to get caught with her, but you know she'd be a good time.[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=ScottD16;14460352]I had a dream my entire family was attacked by a giant polar bear. The crazy part was he attacked us with a giant spoon. Best dream ever.[/QUOTE]
Freestyle713 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:19 AM   #13739
TRAVASS
1996 ZJ 

Looking at it while stuck at work. Wishing I was wheeling it instead...
forumrunner_20120713_121849.jpg  
TRAVASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2012, 11:23 AM   #13740
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVASS
Looking at it while stuck at work. Wishing I was wheeling it instead...
such a sad site
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.