What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 902 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineTJ 5.25" Speaker Adapters - NalinMFGJK Vent Covers - NalinMFG

Unread 07-07-2012, 07:11 PM   #13516
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious
I've thought about taking that plastic garbage off the front...
I love the way they look with out the cover on. And no cladding.

Unread 07-07-2012, 07:27 PM   #13517
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMTL

Do it!!!!!
I missing that metal piece that goes underneath the lights and grille.. Jeep got smashed in the front and broke all that off not sure how well it will sit without it

Ot.. Got this for free 15,000 lb crane hoist strap

image-3623820843.jpg
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 07:30 PM   #13518
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious

I missing that metal piece that goes underneath the lights and grille.. Jeep got smashed in the front and broke all that off not sure how well it will sit without it

Ot.. Got this for free 15,000 lb crane hoist strap
You don't have a front bumper...?
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 07:47 PM   #13519
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

The bumper crossmember underneath the plastic cover is pretty darn important - is your Grand Cherokee a Grand Taco????
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #13520
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Nah its there, lol just got damaged re-welded it back along with some tube steel on the outside for added protection. Brakes went out on a trail, and slid down into a tree about 15mph. only "real" damage was a busted radiator.
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
Unread 07-07-2012, 07:52 PM   #13521
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
The bumper crossmember underneath the plastic cover is pretty darn important - is your Grand Cherokee a Grand Taco????
NOO!! LOL the crossmember is there and perfect nothing wrong but a little dent
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:45 PM   #13522
iser
1997 ZJ 

i have a destroyed front differential. i already have a used axle bought, but i cannot pull it until tue/wed. i didn't have a vehicle all last week and the thought of not having it another 4-5 days was driving me crazy. i couldn't just pull the driveshaft because it's the gears inside that are all chewed up; the gears would still grind against each other even if there is nothing driving it. so i found a quick and easy way to get the jeep up and working just so that i have a vehicle before i can get it completely fixed up. this method does not require the axle to be removed and should not take 45-60 minutes.

1) i started off by removing the driveshaft. one of the bolts got stripped so this was actually the most grueling part of the whole thing for me. what should have taken 10 min ended up taking over an hour. i should've just straight up use the angle grinder from the beginning.

2) open up the differential cover.

3) start off buy removing 25 - Pinion Mate Shaft Roll Pin. i just punched it out with a hammer. only one side of the casing has it even though the slot is in both sides.

4) now you need to remove the 18 - pinion mate shaft. this step is why i was able to fix it up so quickly, and this will def not apply to everyone: the problem at this point is that the pinion mate shaft cannot be removed because ring gear is in the way (approximately 1/8"). i already have a front axle bought and ready to be pulled. this axle will be picked apart for parts and trashed afterwards. so i just angle grinded the ring gear until i was able to remove the mate shaft. if you don't want to grind it off, then you would have to pull the axles, pull the carrier and remove the ring gear, which would add about an hour or more to the job.

this is picture of the staff at the shop grinding the ring gear off. he said he wanted to get it started for me (i dunno why) so i took a picture while standing aside.

5) once the shaft is removed, 17 - Pinion Mate Gears should just fall off. put the shaft and the pin in and you are done.

and this is the end result:

the axles is secure, spins freely and is not geared to anything else. now i can use the jeep as 2wd with a destroyed front differential for a couple days (i know i can leave it this way since it's 95+ zj, but i want 4wd). and if it wasn't for that damn stripped gear, i would've finished this under an hour.

edit: you know, i'm just gonna make a separate thread for this post so that this will be available for search since there maybe other noobtards like me in the future who may need to do a similar thing.

[URL="http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f13/isers-build-thread-1401938/"][B]MY BUILD THREAD LINK[/B] - [I]Updated on THU 23MAY2013[/I][/URL]

[B]Specs[/B]- 97 ZJ 5.2L - 4" Zone Lift - 285/75R16 Cooper STT
[B]Upcoming Projects[/B]- Front Axle Swap. On the look out for HP30.

[B][I]"lead me, follow me or get the hell out of my way"[/I][/B]
- gen. george patton
iser is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 08:59 PM   #13523
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

I hope you at least put the outer stub shafts back into the unit bearings, else I wouldn't plan on driving it more than to back it out of a parking spot. The huge nut on the end of the stub shafts hold the preload on the unit bearings, no shaft, and the bearing will just seperate.

You should also be able to spin the carrier so you can see the end of the cross pin and just push it out.

edit:
Ignore that, I re-read your post and realize how confused I was the first time. All makes sense now
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:41 PM   #13524
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites

You have a FSJ-only junkyard??? I'm drooling!!!

In case you need it, it looks like the part number for the J20/Grand Waggy box at Napa is 391032 -- in case you want a new/refurb gearbox.
Thanks to FPkites I have to solution to my steering box!
mandrews000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:43 PM   #13525
CharlieDog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfister View Post
I wouldn't, mine was only off encase I had to fix something on the rad. I put my older (I have two), less trimmed, black one on when I got back home.

I want your brush guard and all of your offroad lights. Do you have a build thread?
CharlieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 09:59 PM   #13526
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by CharlieDog View Post
I want your brush guard and all of your offroad lights. Do you have a build thread?
Not until I get a lift put together to put on it.

If you really want the bull bar, pm me. I plan on taking it off anyways (planning on finding a full brush guard or steel bumper soon), though I have no idea how much shipping would be for it.
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:13 PM   #13527
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfister

If you really want the bull bar, pm me. I plan on taking it off anyways (planning on finding a full brush guard or steel bumper soon), though I have no idea how much shipping would be for it.
Did you get my pm the other day ? But I'm goin to build a bumper with the designs from flatland offload.
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:29 PM   #13528
CharlieDog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by phfister View Post

Well crap. Now I can't steal your design for the light rack

I like the guard a lot, and it gives me the option to run two off road lights on the bumper without worrying about the plastic breaking.
CharlieDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 10:33 PM   #13529
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Rear door wouldn't latch, took it all apart, cleaned all the goo out re-lubed, put it back together, works good now.
If U do this be careful, go slow, springs will pop out.
Cell phone was screwed up !! taking purple pics, took out battery, tuned it back on, no more purple pics, it was acting like the ZJ
rear-latch.jpg  

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 11:32 PM   #13530
kirbyZJORVIS
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000
Easiest way to do it is this:

[*]Drain coolant[*]Remove belt[*]Remove upper radiator hose (cut and replace if you can't get it off).[*]Unbolt accessory bracket (with alternator and A/C compressor still attached).[*]Lay a thick, non-conductive blanket on top of the battery, and very carefully flip the accessory bracket over on top of it.[*]Unbolt and remove intake manifold[*]Remove valve covers[*]Remove rockers, and pull pushrods out as well[*]Unbolt exhaust manifolds (at heads and y-pipe), this is the part where the risk of bolt breakage is greatest[*]Remove head bolts and remove heads (you'll get a coolant waterfall if you haven't pulled the block drain plugs)[*]Clean coolant and crap out of cylinders, clean gasket surfaces and get ready to reassemble

Items you'll need:

[*]Intake bolts (torque to yield and not reusable)[*]Intake gaskets[*]Head gaskets[*]Head bolts (I don't like reusing these)[*]Oil (drain and fill after reassembly, run for 10 mins, then change oil and filter)[*]Coolant[*]Bypass hose (runs from intake to water pump, and is accessible only when the accessory bracket is off, so might as well replace it)[*]Any other hoses, etc, you want to replace while you're in there
Thanks so much man I'm gonna start tom what's the best kit to get would the eldelbrock kit work I guess there all about the same.
kirbyZJORVIS is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.