What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 898 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Dan's Old as Dirt Birthday Sale!GEARSHADE Pocket Tops in stock and available at ROCKRIDGE Yukon Ultimate 35 axle kit for c/clip axles with Yukon Zip

Unread 07-06-2012, 08:10 PM   #13456
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyZJORVIS
Well number 1069 of 2733 Orvis went down today spent 235 on it today just to find out I have a busted head gasket leaking water into my oil. So after allthe time and money spent on improvements lift ect. I've got a big nice looking jeep thats just gonna sit until I can get her fixed I could tear it all down but to be honest kinda a big job and I'd forget where **** went and it would be a hassel just let a real mechanic do it. SAD SAD SAD.
Head gasket is simple, buy a top end gasket kit, start in the morning, you'll be done before you know it.

94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:13 PM   #13457
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kirbyZJORVIS View Post
Well number 1069 of 2733 Orvis went down today spent 235 on it today just to find out I have a busted head gasket leaking water into my oil. So after allthe time and money spent on improvements lift ect. I've got a big nice looking jeep thats just gonna sit until I can get her fixed I could tear it all down but to be honest kinda a big job and I'd forget where **** went and it would be a hassel just let a real mechanic do it. SAD SAD SAD.
Honestly, head gaskets on a V8 ZJ aren't too bad to do. This is now the 2nd time I've had the heads off mine, and I've got the disassembly down to about 6 - 7 hours (taking my time and mostly working alone). It'll probably go back together in about the same amount of time.
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:20 PM   #13458
kirbyZJORVIS
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by comptiger5000

Honestly, head gaskets on a V8 ZJ aren't too bad to do. This is now the 2nd time I've had the heads off mine, and I've got the disassembly down to about 6 - 7 hours (taking my time and mostly working alone). It'll probably go back together in about the same amount of time.
I know this sounds stupid but could u email me kinda what you HAVE to take off and out and what you don't need to please this will be my first time doing this on a V8.
kirbyZJORVIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 08:36 PM   #13459
comptiger5000
1998 ZJ 

Easiest way to do it is this:
  • Drain coolant
  • Remove belt
  • Remove upper radiator hose (cut and replace if you can't get it off).
  • Unbolt accessory bracket (with alternator and A/C compressor still attached).
  • Lay a thick, non-conductive blanket on top of the battery, and very carefully flip the accessory bracket over on top of it.
  • Unbolt and remove intake manifold
  • Remove valve covers
  • Remove rockers, and pull pushrods out as well
  • Unbolt exhaust manifolds (at heads and y-pipe), this is the part where the risk of bolt breakage is greatest
  • Remove head bolts and remove heads (you'll get a coolant waterfall if you haven't pulled the block drain plugs)
  • Clean coolant and crap out of cylinders, clean gasket surfaces and get ready to reassemble

Items you'll need:
  • Intake bolts (torque to yield and not reusable)
  • Intake gaskets
  • Head gaskets
  • Head bolts (I don't like reusing these)
  • Oil (drain and fill after reassembly, run for 10 mins, then change oil and filter)
  • Coolant
  • Bypass hose (runs from intake to water pump, and is accessible only when the accessory bracket is off, so might as well replace it)
  • Any other hoses, etc, you want to replace while you're in there
comptiger5000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:12 PM   #13460
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

That is a great explanation but you also need to remove the distributer cap and mark rotor position, and base to intake position of the distributer. I personally reuse all bolts on a stock engine, never have I ever broke an intake or head bolt.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:27 PM   #13461
mandrews000
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower

That is an awesome Renegade. Looks like it's in great shape too. What year?
Not sure but it was a beauty$
mandrews000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:30 PM   #13462
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x View Post
That is a great explanation but you also need to remove the distributer cap and mark rotor position, and base to intake position of the distributer. I personally reuse all bolts on a stock engine, never have I ever broke an intake or head bolt.
You sir are my role model!
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 09:52 PM   #13463
Cameleer
1998 ZJ 

Ooooh, Shinny Stuff

Put something shinny under the hood today, this is a Spectre 98499 air hat.
It's large enough that I can slide my hand through it and I have large hands.
Also looks like it fits just fine, no trimming needed (yet).
I do still need to find or make a TB gasket for it.

Unread 07-06-2012, 10:43 PM   #13464
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

So is it worth it?
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:45 PM   #13465
mojop79
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by nickpequignot

Getting a hood and door tomorrow.will start those.thinking the black, maybe a little of the army green accents. Options
I'm doing desert tan and black accents and graphics. Might go with the good ol star, or 'it tactical' design on hood.
mojop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 10:52 PM   #13466
nickpequignot
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojop79

I'm doing desert tan and black accents and graphics. Might go with the good ol star, or 'it tactical' design on hood.
Im debating in army green with the star,or all black. I got a while need to fix front end damage and cooling system
Unread 07-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #13467
bettyjeep
1996 ZJ 

Whoa there

After hovering over the shoulders of mechanics I questionably trust , and no real answers to how my oil was disappearing, I crawled under for the first time.

My bf pointed out all the noticeable issues.
-Oozed grease on the right front boot.
-Crusted oil on the trans pan,
-a drop of oil coming off the oil filter.
-the trans lline hose completely covered in gunk.
-and moderate crust on the oil valve cover.

So...we sprayed engine degreaser all over these parts in an attempt to find the origin of all this nasty gunky grease. I got cardboard under there too.

Any 96 ZJs experience similar issues? lets collaborate
bettyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 11:41 PM   #13468
TRAVASS
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by bettyjeep
After hovering over the shoulders of mechanics I questionably trust , and no real answers to how my oil was disappearing, I crawled under for the first time.

My bf pointed out all the noticeable issues.
-Oozed grease on the right front boot.
-Crusted oil on the trans pan,
-a drop of oil coming off the oil filter.
-the trans lline hose completely covered in gunk.
-and moderate crust on the oil valve cover.

So...we sprayed engine degreaser all over these parts in an attempt to find the origin of all this nasty gunky grease. I got cardboard under there too.

Any 96 ZJs experience similar issues? lets collaborate
Yeah most of the same issues. My thoughts, oil filter adapter and/or oil pan gasket. Your gasket probably isn't bad but I've got a good dent in my pan from a tree stump.

Final conclusion, screw it. It's a jeep. It's not healthy if it doesn't leak somewhere, somehow. Haha

Good luck with your hunt!
TRAVASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2012, 11:51 PM   #13469
bettyjeep
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRAVASS

Yeah most of the same issues. My thoughts, oil filter adapter and/or oil pan gasket. Your gasket probably isn't bad but I've got a good dent in my pan from a tree stump.

Final conclusion, screw it. It's a jeep. It's not healthy if it doesn't leak somewhere, somehow. Haha

Good luck with your hunt!
Haha. Wow
bettyjeep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2012, 12:56 AM   #13470
Grand_ZJ
1996 XJ Cherokee 

I decided to take out my VIC since I was really starting to get annoyed by it beeping all of the time saying coolant level low/sensor bad and tailgate open, so I went and took it out and made a replacement panel for it. And of course I had to spray bomb it black

I made it out of a 3.00$ cookie sheet from wal-mart. when I traced it out and cut it I started to second guess my decision of using a wal-mart cookie sheet... but I have to say that after I mounted it onto the ZJ its quite strong.
Grand_ZJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.