What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 870 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRuffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!ROCK BOTTOM prices on LIFT KITS at Rockridge4wd!! WANT TO

Unread 06-26-2012, 09:14 AM   #13036
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrod72 View Post
It's likely the discs that broke. I found this is a common problem with the factory limited slip differential. Seems they come with the spider gear kit around 90~100 bucks or so. Two differentials I tore apart had the same issue, one was my niner and the other was a 5.2 at the yard.

EDIT: If you gut the diff by removing spiders, you'll see what I mean. Next to the side gears they use an "eared" thrust washer which shatters and starts causing issues.
Guess what, you win a cookie! The trac lock was coming apart and the clutches were gone. The thrust washers were the pieces of metal I found in there when I first opened it up. The carrier bearings where causing the grinding noise I was hearing. Talk about pinpoint accuracy. That was right on the money. Good new is that the housing shows no signs of warping so it's still solid.

PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:24 AM   #13037
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
Guess what, you win a cookie! The trac lock was coming apart and the clutches were gone. The thrust washers were the pieces of metal I found in there when I first opened it up. The carrier bearings where causing the grinding noise I was hearing. Talk about pinpoint accuracy. That was right on the money. Good new is that the housing shows no signs of warping so it's still solid.
Great to hear that. Seems to be a common problem with the factory LSD. What I did was pick up an open diff from a JY and swapped them out. Kept my original ring gear, but didn't want to have other problems with the LSD so I'm looking for a locker now. A bit more expensive to go this route but I can have a lunchbox locker now (whenever I find one cheap enough for me to buy.)

EDIT: The carrier and spider gears may be ok. Hard to tell without looking at them. Then again, you could get the whole kit, clutches and spiders then swap it all out.
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:33 AM   #13038
Canyon411
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
Sometimes those few choice words seem to make all the difference in completing a job. I use them quite often while working on things. In all reality, I actually have a pretty dirty mouth. Even Orbit doesn't do the trick for me. For those door switches, just buy a new one. They're self adjusting the first time you close the door. I replaced all of mine right after I bought the ZJ. The rear driver side door was sticking so I bought 4 new ones so they wouldn't start to stick. IIRC, they were relatively cheap. I picked them up on Rockauto.
Thanks for the heads up. Sounds like the door switches install just like the self-adjusting brake switch did. I will see if Oreilys carries them locally. Perhaps they are as inexpensive as the brake switch was.

Just realized the broken stud on my (LH) side vent is actually part of the vent itself and not fixable. I will have to get a donor from the j/k that has all the studs intact. Atleas the (RH) vent came off without breaking so I was able to clean-scuff-paint that one yesterday and I can put it on this morning and see how it's going to look. Time to get the day started...
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 09:44 AM   #13039
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrod72 View Post
Great to hear that. Seems to be a common problem with the factory LSD. What I did was pick up an open diff from a JY and swapped them out. Kept my original ring gear, but didn't want to have other problems with the LSD so I'm looking for a locker now. A bit more expensive to go this route but I can have a lunchbox locker now (whenever I find one cheap enough for me to buy.)

EDIT: The carrier and spider gears may be ok. Hard to tell without looking at them. Then again, you could get the whole kit, clutches and spiders then swap it all out.
I didn't have to do any of that. All I had to get was a jar of Vaseline and I had a really good shop rebuild it for an arm and a leg.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 10:17 AM   #13040
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Drove it to court this morning, then on the way home did a double take and found this lost beauty... Spoke with both neighbors and city worker and all said they never see anybody go in or out and the Jeep has been sitting for year(s)... So I snagged a few pictures, got the address for county tax record to see who own the property and then grabbed the tag (out of date for a year) to run through DMV to do a vehicle check. Going to see if they want to sell it (it needs some real TLC) or if it's truly abonded I can pay tax value on it and then own it with new title.

Here are some quick pics I snagged. (NVM MY POS COMPUTER WONT UPLOAD)

image-3746018690.jpg
image-888115202.jpg
image-3893591671.jpg
Click image for larger version

Name:	image-3746018690.jpg
Views:	140
Size:	127.6 KB
ID:	422206
image-3908588232.jpg  
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:07 AM   #13041
ELMCZJ95

Just finished these
image-343880995.jpg   image-893895787.jpg   image-2880666807.jpg  
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:31 AM   #13042
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Put it up for part out here on JF, unless someone wants to buy it as a whole? Lol

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 11:46 AM   #13043
riot1987
Professional Wise Guy

1997 ZJ 

I put TSI interior trim in my laredo
riot1987 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 12:20 PM   #13044
DNFJ
Web Wheeler

2000 TJ Wrangler 

Got my wheel spacers and basket rack installed.

forumrunner_20120626_132025.jpg
Built Not Bought #704

Previous:
'00 XJ 6.5 on 35" KM2s
'96 ZJ 2 on 31" Baja Claws
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 01:12 PM   #13045
MrObvious
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeekid58
Put it up for part out here on JF, unless someone wants to buy it as a whole? Lol
I'm gonna buy it as s whole and build on it
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 02:06 PM   #13046
cherokeekid58
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrObvious View Post
I'm gonna buy it as s whole and build on it
If your serious, make me an offer...

So far it seems correlated to OCD and the need to look at one's poop."
cherokeekid58 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 02:16 PM   #13047
pincheburro956
1999 WJ 

Drove it around today. Figured out where my "fuel smell" is coming from. My fuel tank breather line is slashed and it leaking bad fumes....all of them come in the jeep and I smell it with the A/C on...gonna fix that today.

also took some pics of this.

taurus efan on low setting kept it here.

99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
pincheburro956 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 02:25 PM   #13048
CharlieDog
1997 TJ Wrangler 

Quote:
Originally Posted by cherokeekid58 View Post
If your serious, make me an offer...
I'm pretty sure he was talking about the one he found.
CharlieDog is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 06-26-2012, 02:38 PM   #13049
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pincheburro956 View Post
Drove it around today. Figured out where my "fuel smell" is coming from. My fuel tank breather line is slashed and it leaking bad fumes....all of them come in the jeep and I smell it with the A/C on...gonna fix that today.

also took some pics of this.

taurus efan on low setting kept it here.
Reading in my car (yes I drove the car today) is 108 in Austin. It's getting warm around here
Unread 06-26-2012, 02:46 PM   #13050
kirbyZJORVIS
1997 ZJ 

Well all weekend we put in my new 242 tcase had to cut the drive shaft get 5 new U joints and finnally nothing squeaks. And lliamsdad and i also put my lowbranch lines on that was the easiest part of the weekend.
forumrunner_20120626_144628.jpg  
kirbyZJORVIS is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.