What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 851 - JeepForum.com
Search  
Sign Up   Today's Posts
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineRIGID LED Light Blowout Sale - All Sizes, All Series, all Stainless Steel Door Hinge Pins

Reply
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:09 AM   #12751
ejschultz
Web Wheeler
 
ejschultz's Avatar
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Location: Crown Point, Indiana
Posts: 3,134
The LO5 was a pretty common TBI 350 used by GM. Check the SPID.

http://www.rpocodes.com/

__________________
97 ZJ - 5.2L, 242, 4" IRO lift w/short arms & adj. TBs, JKS Discos/BPEs, DT3000s, Aussie'd 44A, sliders, OEM skids/hooks/hitch, 31" Duratracs on 15x8s
14 JKU Sport S - Stock
Build
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:12 AM   #12752
badbird17x
Web Wheeler
 
badbird17x's Avatar
1994 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Location: lisbon, nd
Posts: 3,988
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC

Don't misquote me. I meant the LT-1 specifically. Super-restrictive intake and TBI because it was cobbled together.

And the problems with muscle cars and handling abound:
General preference for live axles
Oftentimes poor weight balance (Overly front-biased)
Generally higher mass
Straight line transmission gearing
Open or locked differential

That's all good for a straight line, but they don't like to turn. I have yet to see any muscle car, even a new one, out-turn a Nissan S-chassis. Or an RX7. Or any number of other cars. Like I said, straight lines are for fast cars, corners are for fast drivers. Some people like Top Fuel and NASCAR. I can't get into that. It takes something like WRC (Group B especially) to turn me on. Because instead of strapping the biggest engine in, and setting for one track condition, they have to get what they can out of stock cars on all sorts of conditions.
Actually misquoted yourself. Lt1 came in 93-97 trans am, firebird, Camaro, corvette, impala ss, and a few 4 door grampa cars. It is the gen 2 small block Chevy engine, they where not installed in trucks. Lt1 was a 280 Hp 350 that had reverse cooling, the 88-95 tbi 350 was and is a pos. it was replaced with the vortec 350 in 96, which was still a gen 1 engine, but had a roller cam and great heads. In 99 trucks where switched to the gen 3 or ls engine. Camaros and firebird got them in 98, vette 97. Besides the lt1, and ls1, all other 350s are considered gen 1 small block, and 95% of the parts interchange. Have you ever looked into 93-02 f-body gms? They, and the vettes of this era are on rails, they also got 28mpg from the lt and ls1, and are smokin fast out of the box. Zo6, zr1 are both awesome handling modern muscle cars, that could laugh at an rx7 on any track, as would the 93-02 f-body.
__________________
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:21 AM   #12753
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 16,023
Different strokes I guess. I had an 05 Acura TL six speed for 5 years and don't miss it one bit. It was underpowered and even though I though it was slower than it should have been, being front wheel drive it was terribly out of control from 1st -3rd if you were on the pedal and had traction control off. I cannot tell you how much I hate FWD. It's build quality was cheap, the leather sucked, the suspension was so stiff it felt like your fillings were coming out on all but the newest roads. It was extremely expensive for repairs and forget about mods they were an arm and a leg. We had a Subaru WRX in the family and that was fun to drive. The interior felt cheap but it was awesome to drive. Even though it was fast, it still didn't have the top end that a larger motor has. That's why imports like the Supra cost so much because they had to put so much into it just to keep up with an inexpensive American v8 muscle car. Do the same thing to the muscle car and it wins hands down. If you want to zoom around corners, I hear Miatas are great.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:23 AM   #12754
SchizophrenicMC
Registered User
1997 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Arlington, Texas
Posts: 2,437
Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
The LO5 was a pretty common TBI 350 used by GM. Check the SPID.

http://www.rpocodes.com/
I know it's not an L05. They stopped putting them in the C/K in 1991. Mine's a 94. At this point, I've given up trying to find out. Eventually the engine will die and I will probably just sell the truck for scrap, because it's a GMC C1500 and they're a dime a dozen.

Anyway, back to Jeeping. New coils tomorrow, fog lights on Friday, and then I'm broke for who knows how long.
__________________
1997 Grand Cherokee Orvis Edition

Because tacky green leather is SUPER COOL
SchizophrenicMC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:41 AM   #12755
ZJMTL
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Feb 2012
Location: Montreal, Quebec
Posts: 1,251
The difference between imports and domestics is the price on the used market.

My buddy has a 230whp Civic that he picked up for 3000$ not long ago. 3k in domestics here is all 2.3 foxbody stangs, or choked up 90s v8s that make less than 200, and take double the gas.

If we're going to talk big power, you can pick up a RHD R32 pushing 500whp for 10-11k. With that budget in domestics you're not even close to the power.

I still prefer the comfort of American cars though. I think that imports tend to cut corners when it comes to the little things that make driving so much more enjoyable. Plus, American cars have the legendary reputation that is just something so special. I've heard songs mention Mustangs, Corvettes, and Jeeps, but never Civics and Corollas, so...
ZJMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:33 AM   #12756
Canyon411
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Location: Spokane, Wa (Up In The Evergreen)
Posts: 667
Relaxing

Took a trip out to the dunes in eastern washington for some swimming, relaxing and a little sand wheelin
dunes-dr-side.jpg   dunes-rear.jpg   dunes-3.jpg  
Canyon411 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 06:45 AM   #12757
DeansWings
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Jul 2009
Location: Fort Worth, TX
Posts: 947
To all the V8 vs. smaller displacement- I probably shouldn't have a dog in this fight but... I have NEVER had the desire for more power out of my i6 for it's applications. It's a modestly modded 90% offroad rig, why do I need a million hp to shear axle shafts faster than I can get new ones? If I had a tube buggy like badbird that I was trying to scale small buildings with, I would go with a V8. Why? Exactly like was said, it's CHEAP, and EASY. If you take a step back and assess ANY situation with this logic. If a process required to get your desired outcome is EASY and EFFECTIVE, you're an idiot if you don't go that route. Why would I spend thousands more to get the same end result? If you do it because you enjoy the challenge (which I think most of us can relate to, wheeling not-so-well aftermarket supported ZJs as opposed to wranglers that cost $25 to lift and fully armor) that's cool. But to oppose others for taking the easy, yet effective way, because it's too easy? I could use that same logic and hate on you for not wheeling a Taurus, because a Jeep is too easy.

I also prefer my 4.0 due to ease of maintenance. Seeing a 5.9 drive by, however, I about break my neck every time and my whole day is ruined due to jealousy. They are beautiful majestic creatures. I have a 3.7 WK, and a neighbor has the 5.7... I want to kill him and wear his face. But when it comes to MY dollar, I don't need that kinda power. If you want your engine compartment to look like a chem lab with all the different chemicals and and science forcing air into your engine, because it's fascinating to you to be able to squeeze every last drop of power out a 3 and a half cylinder engine, kudos. I'm not being sarcastic either, because I admire your creativity and ingenuity. But at the end of the day, it's all in what you have vs. what you want. To be upset that not everyone goes that route, is like a WWII fighter pilot getting mad at the F-18 that just passed him cause a reciprocating motor is the only REAL aircraft motor. Turbofans are just too easy.

OT: Picked up my new OEM tailpipe, as the one that came with the dynomax cat-back kit will not fit with my Rusty's gas tank skid. Rusty's insists that it will fit a stock pipe, so for $40 I'm giving them the benefit of the doubt. This weekend I will be swapping that out, and putting on my new Iron Rock transfercase skid. Pretty excited for that, because my last time out I had a couple of scares. My poor 242 definitely has some rock rash.
__________________
'96 ZJ 4.0 NP242 5.5" Iron Rock Off Road Critical Path Long Arm sitting on 33x12.5x15 Goodyear Duratracs

'06 WK 3.7 2wd stock as a rock.

The Build:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f22/96-zj-build-1262449/[/url]

North Texas Grands:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f348/north-texas-grands-1323367/[/url]

Youtube wheeling vids (mostly from Bridgeport):
[url]http://www.youtube.com/user/MrDeanswings?feature=guide[/url]

Grand Slam Texas!:
[url]http://www.jeepforum.com/forum/f197/grand-slam-texas-1419143/index19.html[/url]
DeansWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:01 AM   #12758
samsonitesamson
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Location: Bellingham, Washington
Posts: 1,213
Quote:
Originally Posted by Canyon411 View Post
Took a trip out to the dunes in eastern washington for some swimming, relaxing and a little sand wheelin
The dunes near Moses Lake? I'm heading that direction in about an hour
__________________
When thou walkest through the fire, thou shalt not be burned; neither shall the flame kindle upon thee ~ Isaiah 43:2 ~



Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:22 AM   #12759
DNFJ
Web Wheeler
 
DNFJ's Avatar
2000 XJ Cherokee 
 
Join Date: Dec 2011
Location: Pittsburgh, PA
Posts: 3,723
Ordered my roof basket. Debating on buying wheel spacers.

Next paycheck: 3.5" lift. Joining the cool kids club soon.
__________________
Wannabe Desert Rat
'00 XJ 6.5" w/ 33s
Built Not Bought #704
DNFJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 10:59 AM   #12760
Glued2aPost
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: Wasilla, AK
Posts: 343
Quote:
Originally Posted by SchizophrenicMC View Post

To that end, Ford is likely to release the next Mustang with a 2.3l I4 turbo making 320hp. Which is more than the current 5l GT.

I take it you don't know that the 5.0 makes 420 hp and the Boss makes 444 because those are more than 320 incase you are really, really, bad at basic math? And you also don't know that the coyote motor (the 5.0 V8 in the mustang GT and Boss 302...which equals 5 liters of displacement btw) was built based on years of research and development done in race cars. What you have said discredits yourself, what ever educational system you slithered out of, your family, your pets, and you are basically a disgrace to the entire Western Hemisphere and in another time you would have been stoned to death by your neighbors.

ON TOPIC: Washed it.
__________________
My ZJ has never been stuck, it was just taking a break from being so awesome!
Glued2aPost is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:02 AM   #12761
PolkaPower
Registered User
1998 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: The Abyss, MD
Posts: 16,023
Even though I disagree with him I think he knows a hell of a lot about cars for 17 years old. Give him a break.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:55 AM   #12762
tinow
Registered User
1995 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Location: Minneapolis, MN
Posts: 22
Went to the JY and thought this would make a good photo. Also, picked up a gear box, an ABS unit, and 2 blower motor resistors with ATC (and a wiper blade arm for my neighbor).
It was a good day. Now, to start the rebuild of the gear box...
jy.jpg  
tinow is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 12:30 PM   #12763
MrObvious
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by tinow
Went to the JY and thought this would make a good photo. Also, picked up a gear box, an ABS unit, and 2 blower motor resistors with ATC (and a wiper blade arm for my neighbor).
It was a good day. Now, to start the rebuild of the gear box...
Makes me smile
__________________
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:18 PM   #12764
FAlfani81
Registered User
1993 ZJ 
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Farmingville, New York
Posts: 341
I looked at it in the driveway then decided to drive the WJ instead. No A/C. NOT IN THIS HEAT!
FAlfani81 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 01:30 PM   #12765
MrObvious
Registered User
1996 ZJ 
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Location: Wilmington, NC
Posts: 553
Quote:
Originally Posted by FAlfani81
I looked at it in the driveway then decided to drive the WJ instead. No A/C. NOT IN THIS HEAT!
Mine has no AC at all, love every min of it, only 90 degrees so it's good.

Merked on an XJ down to the beach like a G chic with massive boobs too bad not a ZJ...



image-79164479.jpg
__________________
Got it stuck. It's still stuck. It's so stuck I could call insurance and say it was stolen and no one would ever know. It's so stuck I don't know anyone with a capable enough 4x4 to even to to where I got stuck to winch or yank me out.
MrObvious is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
door latch
Thread Tools


Suggested Threads





Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.