Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  rluser 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#15,742 ·
Never wheel alone..i did it TWICE Both times got stuck bad..1stx me n friend 5 mile walk to phone ( before cells)..2 nd bymyself in my rail ( dont have no mo) 1hr..a turbo rail finaly hears me sping wheels a rescues me....but had fun before ...lol
Hahaha yea. I overheated the trans on a snowy mountain trail once hours from anything and it was getting near dusk. I just about crapped my pants. Luckily it cooled off and we were able to coast back down in N most of the way.

#15,743 ·
nickpequignot said:
Gonna make a center counsel similar to this. Going to modify the lower dash part. Take the Vic out. Cut the plastic up to below Ac controls or something. And tie into the solid part behind the dash for support And the counsel will hold gauges, switches and probably a cb.
Like this

Attachments

#15,745 ·
nickpequignot said:
Mines probably not going to go all they way up,like that. My idea is just under ac controls would be good
Shouldn't be hard to tie it into the dash, then weld the rear to the floor. Mine runs back up in the rear, but is welded to the floor as well. Race car alluminum is what the cover is made of, but it's very weak so you need supports to mount shifters and such.

#15,746 ·
badbird17x said:
Shouldn't be hard to tie it into the dash, then weld the rear to the floor. Mine runs back up in the rear, but is welded to the floor as well. Race car alluminum is what the cover is made of, but it's very weak so you need supports to mount shifters and such.
Will get a sheet of sheet metal. And play around with it.

#15,748 ·
nickpequignot said:
Only problem I can see right now is the trans shifter. Will work around it or modify it to work.
It's mounted to the floor, just leave it there and tin around it.

#15,749 ·
badbird17x said:
It's mounted to the floor, just leave it there and tin around it.
Not the bottem of it. The top of it is to close to the dash for what I want. Possible to maybe get a new shift nob. Or trim actual shifter to get it out of the way? That's the main problem as I look at it right now to make that space in front of the shifter. We will see.

#15,750 ·
Can't you move the shifter back to the cup holder area?

#15,752 ·
nickpequignot said:
The shifter Dosnt go down through the floor. It shifts via a cable am I right? I will look into that though.
Yes it's cable operated, so you can mount it anywhere the cable allows. Usually there is a lot of cable outside the grommet, just pull it through.

#15,754 ·
Not as long as the cable isn't stretched.

#15,758 ·
nickpequignot said:
Sounds good. I might have to add some to the cable to make it work. Hope not but that wouldn't be hard to do.
You can't add to a cable easily.

#15,760 ·
I gained enlightenment to to things I previously thought were just silly:

1. Night wheeling is a ton of fun! The fog lights actually become useful on narrow trails.

2. The rear sway bar is gay. After some night wheeling, I discovered that both end links were snapped at the axle bracket and spent $18 putting on some tougher grade 8 hardware. Proud of myself and how smoothly the little project went, I prepared to congratulate myself after I took it for a brief test drive. I was thinking the handling would go from from completely non existent to bad but was disappointed that there was hardly any change at all...until I took my 6 month old on a ride around some gravel roads last night (makes her fall right asleep) and noticed that all understeer is gone and the handling is really quite neutral. Since I drive quite a bit on snow and gravel the sway bar will stay on, but for any other occasion, I think it's completely worthless.