What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 705 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Building a Bumper?Ruffstuff Axle Simple Swap Kit!~Artec JK 1 TON SWAP~

Unread 04-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #10561
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PurpleZJ View Post
for the tow hooks all you do is take out the front most bolt for the radiator support and drill it out to accept a larger grade eight bolt. bolt in the tow hook and then use the left over hole from the tow hook to drill a hole in the frame for your second grade eight bolt.
Please do not do this - there is a kit from Mopar for hooks, and you can get the whole assembly from the junkyard. The uniframe is not thick enough to allow for el-cheapo "universal" hooks.

Do it right, or not at all when it comes to recovery.

Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:47 PM   #10562
xbeakerx
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
Please do not do this - there is a kit from Mopar for hooks, and you can get the whole assembly from the junkyard. The uniframe is not thick enough to allow for el-cheapo "universal" hooks.

Do it right, or not at all when it comes to recovery.
I agree with him.
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:48 PM   #10563
PolkaPower
1998 ZJ 

It never ceases to amaze me when people jury rig unsafe tow points that could really hurt someone. If you were a rock climber would you just use the carabiners that they sell for key chains because they are cheap? Hell no you wouldn't because they would break and you would fall to your death. Take your time and be safe about it.
PolkaPower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:25 PM   #10564
booked101
1997 ZJ 

I changed my spark plugs to new champion plugs yesterday and also changed the upstream and downstream o2 sensors.
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:40 PM   #10565
MaintMech

1996 ZJ 

Getting a new windshield on Monday.

Dang semi chucked a rock at me @ 60 MPH. Oncoming.

Now I know why I've kept my insurance guy happy. No money out of my pocket.

It'll be nice to have a clean, no pit view.
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:43 PM   #10566
xbeakerx
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by PolkaPower View Post
It never ceases to amaze me when people jury rig unsafe tow points that could really hurt someone. If you were a rock climber would you just use the carabiners that they sell for key chains because they are cheap? Hell no you wouldn't because they would break and you would fall to your death. Take your time and be safe about it.
I agree that it could go badly but don't go crazy about what he might be doing. Not everyone is going to be extreme rock crawling. I would suggest going a different route when adding recovery points to the front of your ZJ. I did something different and it worked out for me and it cost less than $70.

What are you going to be doing with your Jeep? Trail riding or rockcrawling?

By the way its jerry-rig not jury rig.
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:55 PM   #10567
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

Installed new header panel, grille, and headlight assembly

ZJMTL is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:19 PM   #10568
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrod72 View Post
I think they're going to wallow out sooner with rubber, but you'll feel a bit more of the side type impacts with poly where rubber would be smoother. I'm of the opinion that polys will outlast the rubber ones by far - and that goes especially for the trackbars. I'm running IRO polys now and when the time comes I'll use them again or go harder like KORs.

Advance has some moog ones that are poly. I didn't find any in Brownsville available though. Some are in Austin stores so you could get them to transfer by Friday.

the moog suck if your flexing out I blew a set out on one trip. IRo's are 5$ a set cheap enough i picked up a few sets first set lasted 10 months. KORs got a link?
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:34 PM   #10569
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbeakerx View Post
I agree that it could go badly but don't go crazy about what he might be doing. Not everyone is going to be extreme rock crawling. I would suggest going a different route when adding recovery points to the front of your ZJ. I did something different and it worked out for me and it cost less than $70.

What are you going to be doing with your Jeep? Trail riding or rockcrawling?

I do a mix of both. only used that hook set up to pass inspection for an offroad park I was going to visit. Used them plenty of times with NO problems whatsoever. I've since gotten an ARB bullbar bumper in the front but I would just love to be shown one instance of my prior setup failing on someone else's rig.
1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]
PurpleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 07:57 PM   #10570
mojop79
1995 ZJ 

Drove mine to a "lift party". Put a 4.5" lift on a friends tj. There were about 15 of us there, all with jeeps!
mojop79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:11 PM   #10571
E-rok
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by xbeakerx View Post

I call them "presidential decisions"
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:21 PM   #10572
PurpleZJ
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by E-rok View Post
I call them "presidential decisions"
I like your style
1996 ZJ- 4.0, [COLOR="Purple"]AX-15 5SPD/NP242[/COLOR], RE 4.5" lift, 36x12.50x16.5 Goodyear military surplus tires, Longarms/Tri-4 link/one ton axle build/swap in progress, arb bumper, a bunch of other goodies
1995 XJ- 4.0 HO, ax-15(stolen for swap), stock
2001 GMC Sonoma-RIP...
2002 GMC Sierra 1500 ECSB-roadtrip/long haul vehicle
[CENTER][COLOR="Blue"]RIP Troy (bigbluezj94) you wont be forgotten[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Purple"]December 2010 GCOTM[/COLOR]

5spd ZJ Club Member 001
[/CENTER]

[QUOTE=bddisi;6376248]Glad you are ok. If you were a cat, you would be down to 8.:D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=Greengc4x4;10782815]Everything looks great, Hellen Keller! :D[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=rritch;10960201]plastic + Fuel + Ignition = "Bubba wake up this is gonna be good" :rofl:[/QUOTE]

[CENTER][COLOR="Purple"]RIP William Anthony Kolich(DAD)
you were the best father i could have wished for. I'll always miss you
04/28/58-2/13/11[/COLOR][/CENTER]
PurpleZJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:36 PM   #10573
pincheburro956
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by torchd View Post
Can you do a mini write up on how to do this? I have my brand new OEM tow hooks sitting in a box.

What body pins did you use to place the bumper back into position?
i am not running a front bumper. I mounted the towhooks just like PurpleZJ stated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrod72 View Post
I think they're going to wallow out sooner with rubber, but you'll feel a bit more of the side type impacts with poly where rubber would be smoother. I'm of the opinion that polys will outlast the rubber ones by far - and that goes especially for the trackbars. I'm running IRO polys now and when the time comes I'll use them again or go harder like KORs.

Advance has some moog ones that are poly. I didn't find any in Brownsville available though. Some are in Austin stores so you could get them to transfer by Friday.
yeah, i know oreillys has some poly kits for front and rear. i was just wondering cause i hear alot of people here say that they make too much noise. but if greasing them works, then ill go poly....thanks gabrod.

Quote:
for the tow hooks all you do is take out the front most bolt for the radiator support and drill it out to accept a larger grade eight bolt. bolt in the tow hook and then use the left over hole from the tow hook to drill a hole in the frame for your second grade eight bolt.
purplezj, i mounted them just like you stated. the thing is i DONT want to leave them as is. i play alot in mud/sand dunes, and when you get stuck, we use the "texas tug" to pull out. you know, leave some slack on the strap and gun it, then hope nothing breaks. thats why i want to reinforce the whole front end like in my pic. i have enough steel to do it, i am just looking for the best way (strongest).

thanks for all the info gents...

99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
pincheburro956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:37 PM   #10574
FPKites
ZJjazzyJim

1996 ZJ 

Quote:
I do a mix of both. only used that hook set up to pass inspection for an offroad park I was going to visit. Used them plenty of times with NO problems whatsoever. I've since gotten an ARB bullbar bumper in the front but I would just love to be shown one instance of my prior setup failing on someone else's rig.
So, it would take somebody potentially being critically injured for you to believe what structural and mechanical engineers have said could fail with gusto?

Wow...just, wow.
Best customer service in the states:

Best mod you'll ever do on ANY vehicle!!!!

FPKites is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 08:44 PM   #10575
pincheburro956
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by FPKites View Post
So, it would take somebody potentially being critically injured for you to believe what structural and mechanical engineers have said could fail with gusto?

Wow...just, wow.
i had an instance where i was in desperation mode, and had a d-ring rip right out of the unibody. I know that it fails, but if you have enough bracketry to hold up, it should be fine....

the problem was i had removed my rear bumper, and then went to the beach, right out of the blue. got stuck in some mud, and had ABSOLUTELY NO TOW POINTS....good thing no one was hurt. I learned from 1 mistake. wont do it again...

99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
pincheburro956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.