Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#14,041 ·
Converted my parking lights in to Running lights and took off the 1 remaining center Cap :(
I really like that.. Write up on how you did that??

#14,042 ·
Use GUNK brand degreaser gel. Idk where your located but autozone had a 2 for1 special til the 21st of July. Stuff works like magic. Spray it on 15 mins n hose right off. good luck on your leaks. I'm hoping I got mine all settled.
Guy at work told me about that, I did buy a gallon of the "purple power" because autozone had a special for 1gal and get shop towels for free :D. It didn't work too bad. Just a pain having to go through and fix all the PO's mistakes and lack of maintenance but I did get it for 300$ so whats one to expect :rofl:

OT- Drove it around this morning just because I wanted to go drive it. Hopefully Pick-N-Pull adventure later today for some tow hooks :2thumbsup:

#14,044 ·
Went to the shop this morning to get the freon drained out of my a/c system and the guy said its bone dry. So since it doesn't want to hold a charge for more than 2 months, I said **** it, bought a bypass pulley for $40 and called it a day.

#14,047 ·
My dad had one layin around the shop and i asked to use it but it was missing the ground, it was snapped off. I like that style more than the one i have now because mine sticks out like a sore thumb... :thumbdown:

I might change it later on tho.

#14,048 ·
Okie_Rider said:
My dad had one layin around the shop and i asked to use it but it was missing the ground, it was snapped off. I like that style more than the one i have now because mine sticks out like a sore thumb... :thumbdown:

I might change it later on tho.
I got just a normal 15amp toggel switch. I almost forget its there sometimes. Lol

#14,050 ·
Drive around buddy found a trail so we explored. Made a short video driving down it and took a few pictures. Too bad there has been no rain lately or it might have been better.

Wheel Automotive parking light Tire Plant Automotive side marker light

Wheel Tire Plant Land vehicle Car

#14,051 ·
Picked up 5 gallons of 80w-90 gear oil. Have to get some friction modifier for the rear LSD.

Got stuck with water to the windshield, pretty sure I killed my alternator, need to remember to turn off the Efan before crossing, and amazed the jeep can idle with the exhaust over a foot under water and keep it clear of clogging.

On the fence...35" MTs on my 4.5" lift, or front locker first? I'm still on brand new BFG ATs 31x10.5, as I've had them on other trucks and they've never let me down.

#14,053 ·
bettyjeep said:
I like! How would one go about fixing that up? I think my panels got a short somewhere cuz the lights don't all go on. I've not even thought of where to start w that.
Just took the lower dash out. Drill a 1/2 hole for the switch put it in wire it up and call it good. I'm going to upgrade my lights and get relays

#14,054 ·
Just took the lower dash out. Drill a 1/2 hole for the switch put it in wire it up and call it good. I'm going to upgrade my lights and get relays
Nick, I believe you said in another post that the switch is a 15amp toggle. Are you running the full power load of your lights thru this switch alone or does the switch control a relay and the relay handles the heavy load. If the switch is carring the full load of the lights on it's own, I would highly reccomend setting up a relay close to the battery and running the lights strait off the relay. Let the switch turn the relay on and off so you dont have that little switch and the wiring working hard and hot increasing the chances of meltdown and failure.

#14,055 ·
Canyon411 said:
Nick, I believe you said in another post that the switch is a 15amp toggle. Are you running the full power load of your lights thru this switch alone or does the switch control a relay and the relay handles the heavy load. If the switch is carring the full load of the lights on it's own, I would highly reccomend setting up a relay close to the battery and running the lights strait off the relay. Let the switch turn the relay on and off so you dont have that little switch and the wiring working hard and hot increasing the chances of meltdown and failure.
That they are. I have the relays and 50ft of 14 ga I just need to get new lights and get time to actually put it all in. I never use them though

#14,056 ·
I might have just ordered a set of 15x8 wheels with 4" of backspacing for the ZJ. Now to decide on either 31s or 32s. I'm leaning toward 31s so I can flex without worry of rubbing. I also don't want to lose too much power with the stock gearing or possibly blow up my D30 while wheeling. I'm not too terribly worried about the 44A out back. I know it'll handle what I'd be willing to put the ZJ through for now on 31s or 32s.

#14,057 ·
I might have just ordered a set of 15x8 wheels with 4" of backspacing for the ZJ. Now to decide on either 31s or 32s. I'm leaning toward 31s so I can flex without worry of rubbing. I also don't want to lose too much power with the stock gearing or possibly blow up my D30 while wheeling. I'm not too terribly worried about the 44A out back. I know it'll handle what I'd be willing to put the ZJ through for now on 31s or 32s.
I had 33's on my old ZJ with the d30 in front and it held up great. The only time I broke it was when I was stuck really bad and kept hammering the gas. It took quite a beating before it gave up. I just kept giving it gas until all the grinding stopped lol.

#14,058 ·
ejschultz said:
I'd go 31. You could go like 11.5 or 12.5 wide with the amount if lift you have and the rims. What do the rims look like that you ordered?

#14,059 ·
I had 33's on my old ZJ with the d30 in front and it held up great. The only time I broke it was when I was stuck really bad and kept hammering the gas. It took quite a beating before it gave up. I just kept giving it gas until all the grinding stopped lol.
Did your performance lug nuts help with that at all? I've heard they really help axle strength when running larger than recommended tires.

I'd go 31. You could go like 11.5 or 12.5 wide with the amount if lift you have and the rims. What do the rims look like that you ordered?
They're black, matte, and soft.

#14,060 ·
That they are. I have the relays and 50ft of 14 ga I just need to get new lights and get time to actually put it all in. I never use them though
Nice!! I really like that switch location alot of you 96-98 owners are making use of. (You and Cameleer come to mind.) I need to see if there is any room in that area on my 94-95. Dash is obviously a little different.

On topic:

I changed front brake pads on the 95 this afternoon as the rainstorm we had all morning really cooled things down and made it fairly enjoyable outside. I put on new pads and rotors a year ago and I am supprised how grooved the rotors were. I missed the 1 year warranty on the rotors by 2 months. Damn. The pads were lifetime warranted so I rented the caliper compression tool (free rental after brought back) and installed new pads.

Does anyone recommend drilled/slotted rotors over standard replacement? I may look into that if my squeaking problem still exists with the new pads in place. I checked the rubber boots covering the slides inside the calipers and they were well lubricated and slid freely.

I also took the time to mask off the gold cladding stripe on the 94. Scuffed it with scotchbrite and then painted it gun metal grey to match the icon wheels. I may pull the rocker covers and paint them as well since they are a bit darker grey. What do you guys think?

Attachments