What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 70 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Engo winches available at www.rockridge4wd.com! Free shippRockridge 4WD IS Taking Zone Offroad Suspension Lift Kits ZONE 4.25" combo lift for TJ available at Rockridge4w

Unread 01-17-2011, 01:50 PM   #1036
norcalholler
1998 ZJ 

Water pump. On my jeep gc with 205000 miles on it. Oil change. Rotated ties and saw the brakes are bad. So new pads and rotors.

norcalholler is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 03:26 PM   #1037
dzimmerm
1993 ZJ 

Harmonic Balancer Replacement on ZJ 4.0

I checked the weather and it said it was going to be as warm as it was likely to get in the next week or so, except for tomorrow which promised rain.

I had grounded my Jeep ZJ 4.0 due to its harmonic balancer needing replacement. The outer hub with the serpentine belt pulley had separated from the inner hub and had caused the serpentine belt to come off and that caused all the belt driven accessories to fail.

When this first happened I thought the bolt had somehow come loose and the harmonic balancer was about to fall off. I did not know, at that time, that Jeep uses a harmonic balancer that is basically two pieces joined by a rubber separater. I tried tightening the bolt and it seemed like the pulley went back into place. (What I did not realize was all I did was push the outer pulley back further onto the hub.) I drove the Jeep to work and it got me there but then failed on my way home. I was able to push the pulley back into place after removing the shroud with my trusty leatherman tool. I made it back home and parked it. That had been about a week ago.

I had done some reading on JeepForum and found out about how Jeep 4.0 liter harmonic balancers tended to fail. I bought a replacement harmonic balancer and oil seal at a local auto parts store and a bolt style gear puller and seal installation tool at a local hardware supply store.

Then I caught a cold, (it had to be a cold, I had my flu shot, rolls eyes). I did not get back to the Jeep repair until the cold had diminished to the point where I could cough without feeling like my sides were going to rip in two.

I removed the fan/clutch assembly from the water pump pulley and sized up the space between the old harmonic balancer and the radiator, and the length of the main screw member of the puller. It looked like I could do this without taking the radiator off. It ended up I could indeed do it without removing the radiator but it took removing about an inch off the length of the main screw member on the gear puller with my dremel tool. I used the bolt that holds the harmonic balancer in place to push against after loosing said bolt.

I found out part way through the process of pulling the harmonic balancer that I may have not had to modify the puller to make it fit. I did not realize there was a very thick washer behind the bolt. I thought it was part of the harmonic balancer. The washer came off partway through and it looks like I could have used the puller against the crank shaft end once that washer was out of the way. If you try to remove the harmonic balancer be sure to check that when you take the bolt off, a really thick washer comes off with it.

After getting the old harmonic balancer off I tried to remove the existing oil seal. It was a real bear. That oil seal was determined to stay in place. I finally got a nail between the seal and the seal seat and then a screwdriver and finally the darn thing split and I was able to remove it.

The new seal went in rather easily, I covered in with fresh 10w40 engine oil and tapped it into place with no issues at all.

The new harmonic balancer, on the other hand, was a very very tight fit. I finally managed to get it started on the crankshaft, (I was getting a bit cranky myself by now), and was able to tap tap tap it on far enough to get the bolt in and use it to draw the pulley the rest of the way on. I torqued it to 80 ft.pounds as the manual suggested and then reassembled the fan/clutch and put the belt back on. (Do they make after market serpentine belt tensioners for 1993 4.0l ZJs?).

I started the engine and everything looked ok, with no funny wobbles or strange noises. I reinstalled the fan shroud and decided to get some food to eat and relax my back that was feeling a bit out of sorts after being bent over the front of the Jeep for many hours.

The Jeep should be back in operation. I am planning on having the Wife take me on a test drive as if anything can go wrong it will when she is driving it.

After all that I have to admit it would have been a lot easier to do the work I did with the radiator off. I did not want to have to take the radiator off due to the spillage of fluid, and the possibility of leaks getting started in the built in transmission cooler connections. I had a bear of time getting those to seal when I replaced the radiator a year ago.

The modification of a $10.00 tool that I owned seemed a smaller price to pay than the replacement radiator fluid and the time it takes to remove the radiator fittings and then reinstall them. My opinion on this may change pending how long it takes my back to un kink.
dzimmerm is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 05:40 PM   #1038
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

went to 2 u=pull=it yard and scored some good deals 1.new rear bumper, mounts for top of bumper fog lights, white faced guages 40$ 2.mopar hitch,oil dipstick, 2 in bumper fog lights with mounts and for the mitsubishi Mighty max rear slide window new guage cluster with tach (easy way to go from 180k to 80k and taillight 50$ good day seen a nice set of black leather seats for the zj i might go back and pick up

also forgot about the rear drive shaft one of those double jointed slide ones
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-17-2011, 05:57 PM   #1039
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Harmonic Balancer Replacement on ZJ 4.0
yeah i might want to do that

i thought that wobble was normal huh guess not
Unread 01-17-2011, 10:46 PM   #1040
kwellzz
1998 ZJ 

New 2 row all metal radiator (Radiatorbarn.com $188 shipped), upper and lower radiator hoses (Napa $35), and water pump (Advance Auto $35). Will need to go back in and replace the old rust belt tensioner in the spring.

Motorcycle Repair in Denverhttp://www.wellsmoto.com
kwellzz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-18-2011, 06:44 PM   #1041
rcwarner
2001 WJ 

just finished installing the JVC Stereo i got from a trade with jimmy21669 and works great . And while i had access to that VIC i did the careful bending of the male ends of the plug and by jobe it turned on
we will see if i go out in the morning if it reset itself or not .
Hopefully not lol
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:47 PM   #1042
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

nothing on the zj's but i do appreciate how easy they are to work on now, after having a thermostat take 8 hours to do on my mums car, alternator, ac/ pump, 2 belts, 1 pully, belly pan, dip stick tube... all had to be taken out to access it. brutal.

and its what a 20 minute job on a zj
Unread 01-18-2011, 10:48 PM   #1043
kwellzz
1998 ZJ 

might as well take care of the water pump while your in there

Unread 01-18-2011, 10:54 PM   #1044
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwellzz View Post
might as well take care of the water pump while your in there
its timing chain driven, it would of been another 10 hours or more, the car is absolutely a nightmare to work on.

i snapped the aluminum manual tentioner, but lucky a dealer ship had already ordered one in for a guy that never picked it up, and it took 5 weeks to come in.
Unread 01-18-2011, 11:07 PM   #1045
kwellzz
1998 ZJ 

my bad...sounds like you are working on a Saab or Volvo.

Unread 01-18-2011, 11:44 PM   #1046
93CheepGC
1996 ZJ 

Today i replaced my rusted gas tank straps that were screwed together with scrap metal (some idiot's hack job),
removed my front drive shaft cause my t-case is trashed, changed my front diff fluid and painted the diff cover.... This weekend 242 swap!
93CheepGC is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-19-2011, 01:02 AM   #1047
ZJ5point2GCL
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwellzz View Post
my bad...sounds like you are working on a Saab or Volvo.
It's actually a Sebring convertible 2.7
Unread 01-19-2011, 06:18 PM   #1048
aircruiser
1996 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJ5point2GCL View Post
It's actually a Sebring convertible 2.7
haha i bought that same car from my mom and sold it a month later to buy my cherokee. gayest car i ever owned.

as for my zj, to cold to do anything but tomorrow im probably gonna box up my headlights for the xj i ordered through DDM and never used and trade them for some 5000k HIDs for the zj and then order some 5000k fogs. unsure if i wanna get 5k or 6k however. the 6k was nice im the xj but still had a bit of a blue tint. i think ill stick with 5k
Unread 01-19-2011, 08:42 PM   #1049
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

checked the oil installed new dipstick and as i was cleaning up the shop,wishin for warmer weather i found this laying around
Unread 01-19-2011, 09:10 PM   #1050
zjdamien
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by squazz View Post
checked the oil installed new dipstick and as i was cleaning up the shop,wishin for warmer weather i found this laying around
let me/us know how that along arm works out im wanting to get that same one when i get my taxes back
93 zj 4.6 stroker fastmen throttle body, adj FPR, D.U.I. Coil, 5"ish lift, iron Y long arm adj trac bar, 249 t-case 33x12.5 dunlop mud rovers, home brew roof rack and bumper, red top, hi lift, KOR rad support, & steering gearbox brace, 3.73 gears
Other rides
2005 triumph bonnievillie America custom
89' chevy step side 6" drop in front bagged in rear
zjdamien is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.