Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#13,462 ·
That is a great explanation but you also need to remove the distributer cap and mark rotor position, and base to intake position of the distributer. I personally reuse all bolts on a stock engine, never have I ever broke an intake or head bolt.
You sir are my role model!
:2thumbsup:

#13,463 ·
Ooooh, Shinny Stuff

Put something shinny under the hood today, this is a Spectre 98499 air hat.
It's large enough that I can slide my hand through it and I have large hands.
Also looks like it fits just fine, no trimming needed (yet).
I do still need to find or make a TB gasket for it.

#13,467 ·
Whoa there

After hovering over the shoulders of mechanics I questionably trust :nono:, and no real answers to how my oil was disappearing, I crawled under for the first time.

My bf pointed out all the noticeable issues.
-Oozed grease on the right front boot.
-Crusted oil on the trans pan,
-a drop of oil coming off the oil filter.
-the trans lline hose completely covered in gunk.
-and moderate crust on the oil valve cover.

So...we sprayed engine degreaser all over these parts in an attempt to find the origin of all this nasty gunky grease. I got cardboard under there too.

Any 96 ZJs experience similar issues? lets collaborate

#13,468 ·
bettyjeep said:
After hovering over the shoulders of mechanics I questionably trust :nono:, and no real answers to how my oil was disappearing, I crawled under for the first time.

My bf pointed out all the noticeable issues.
-Oozed grease on the right front boot.
-Crusted oil on the trans pan,
-a drop of oil coming off the oil filter.
-the trans lline hose completely covered in gunk.
-and moderate crust on the oil valve cover.

So...we sprayed engine degreaser all over these parts in an attempt to find the origin of all this nasty gunky grease. I got cardboard under there too.

Any 96 ZJs experience similar issues? lets collaborate
Yeah most of the same issues. My thoughts, oil filter adapter and/or oil pan gasket. Your gasket probably isn't bad but I've got a good dent in my pan from a tree stump.

Final conclusion, screw it. It's a jeep. It's not healthy if it doesn't leak somewhere, somehow. Haha

Good luck with your hunt!

#13,470 ·
I decided to take out my VIC since I was really starting to get annoyed by it beeping all of the time saying coolant level low/sensor bad and tailgate open, so I went and took it out and made a replacement panel for it. And of course I had to spray bomb it black :D

I made it out of a 3.00$ cookie sheet from wal-mart. when I traced it out and cut it I started to second guess my decision of using a wal-mart cookie sheet:(... but I have to say that after I mounted it onto the ZJ its quite strong.

#13,472 ·
Cameleer said:
Ooooh, Shinny Stuff

Dude, your whole rig is shiny!! Your zj is probably cleaner than the day it came off the production line. Haha but nice air hat..

OT.. Found it's not only leaking from the valve cover, but also the pan.. Hopefully the pan just needs a tightening considering it's brand new from a few months ago. Got the valve cover gasket waiting in the cargo area to be replaced.

#13,473 · (Edited)
painted over the dented fender flare area with bedliner spray. looks really good and now, since my paint is all messed up anyway, i kinda want to do the whole bottom half of the jeep in bedliner. that would be expensive at 12$ a can

Attachments

#13,475 ·
Cameleer said:
Ooooh, Shinny Stuff

Holy clean engine bay! Nice red top btw, I have a yellow and it's awesome!

#13,476 ·
Need to replace the pass front lock actuator, lately it takes several button pushes to get it to lock/unlock. (not really looking forward to it). I already pulled one from the j/y a week ago and it was a rpita to take out. I have to be careful not to break any clips and pay attention to what color goes to what rod. I think I will take a few notes as I pull the bad assembly out. Assuming that project goes well, I may also tackle the valve cover gaskets.

Drove to Couer D'Alene, Id (bout 30 miles away) for the first time to see their fireworks show rather than Riverfront Park (Spokane). Kinda nice to spend the day right on the beach swiming, playing volleyball, bbqing and then watching the show as the mortars are shot from a barge towed out into the middle of Lake Couer D'Alene.

Funny story, as I came into town trying to find a parking space, all the spots close to the lake were charging a fee to park and filling up fast. The far end of the lot was fully packed accept for an area right next to a long steep (did I mention steep) overgrown hillside that went up to street level. I sat in stagnent bumper to bumper traffic (at street level) and, as I looked down at the lot below, contemplated my options.

My friend (10 cars ahead of me) took a right off the main street and down the road a short ways into the entrance of the lot where I saw him handing money to the lot attendant. I peered over my passenger headrest judging the hillside, turned my blinker on (mid block) and drove up over the curb and across the sidewalk. I crested the hill and smiled to myself as the front end dropped, nose down--hatch in the air, toward the bottom. Kinda chuckled as I hung there, seatbelt sinched across my chest, slowely easing her down the embankment toward the clearing. It looked like I happened to be the first one to park in the lot (backed in). I considered txting my friend to have him circle the block and follow my lead but (a) he already had his money in-hand and (b) I don't think he or his Dodge Nitro were quite ready for the detour.

Once the show was over, I would have to wait for all the cars infront of me to leave, OR, put her in reverse and hit the loud pedle, the latter is probably what lead me to drive down it in the first place. After the show, I was looking forward to some climbing but realised I would have to get to the top and then across 3 lanes of traffic and a center median to leave. Luckily, the lot was emptying quickly. I walked to my jeep just as some students from NIC (North Idaho College) were getting into their saturn (parked just in front of me) and the girl says, "I don't remember that car being there when we got here." Her bf says, "Look at the tracks, he came down the cliff!" I looked at him and said, "Yup" as I hit the keyfob and thru my swimtrunks and towel in the back seat and got in. I could see him gimme a rock-on gesture as they backed up and headed toward the main entrance/exit. Thought to myself, Damn right she's a jeep!

#13,477 ·
PolkaPower said:
He had long arms at 3.5" and tb brackets?
The jeep had 2" CS also. I'm still not sure if these are 3.5 or 4.5. What is the best way to check?

#13,479 ·
Why would you do a transfer case drop? That cost you 1 1/4 of ground clearance where you need it most.

#13,480 ·
That is a great explanation but you also need to remove the distributer cap and mark rotor position, and base to intake position of the distributer. I personally reuse all bolts on a stock engine, never have I ever broke an intake or head bolt.
No, you don't have to. The distributor doesn't have to come out on a Mopar smallblock (that's a Chevy thing!)