What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 671 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Light up the holidays with LED lights from JeepHutDon't forget the Jeep Forum discount, 10% off!The Original 3/8" Ruffstuff Diff Cover!

Unread 04-04-2012, 09:03 AM   #10051
psychwarfare
1997 ZJ 

Well yesterday the Jeep was left at the local Wawa after I came out from inside to see it spewing oil right below the engine...only happens while running and appears to be related to the oil filter adapter considering I see no fresh oil above the filter and see plenty on the underside of the filter and further down...looks like it is dripping down to the bell housing and then the ground...couldn't get a good look as I was dressed for work...

It is leaking at nearly a stream pace...so that's concerning...

I'll get a few quarts of oil in her tonight and drive her around the corner to a residential area that I can work on her in...

psychwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 12:06 PM   #10052
csouers
1999 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by psychwarfare View Post
Well yesterday the Jeep was left at the local Wawa after I came out from inside to see it spewing oil right below the engine...only happens while running and appears to be related to the oil filter adapter considering I see no fresh oil above the filter and see plenty on the underside of the filter and further down...looks like it is dripping down to the bell housing and then the ground...couldn't get a good look as I was dressed for work...

It is leaking at nearly a stream pace...so that's concerning...

I'll get a few quarts of oil in her tonight and drive her around the corner to a residential area that I can work on her in...
If you just changed the oil, the old filter oring could still on the adapter. Also, the adapter seals could be bad which is likely what it is. Pretty simple thing to fix, just messy.

My Photography
csouers is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 12:39 PM   #10053
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by csouers View Post
If you just changed the oil, the old filter oring could still on the adapter. Also, the adapter seals could be bad which is likely what it is. Pretty simple thing to fix, just messy.
Agreed on this being messy, and I ended up having to use a pipe wrench on the stupid adapter bolt to get it loose. Clean everything with brake parts cleaner to see that the bolt head has a large ring on it that you can grab onto without grabbing the adapter itself. The o-ring kit is around $5 at the dealership... I still have some oil leaking from the pan bolt and possible rear main seal, but at least it's much more manageable now that I replaced the O-rings in the adapter.

Lookey here:
http://www.lunghd.com/Tech_Articles/...nt_O-Rings.htm
gabrod72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 01:47 PM   #10054
psychwarfare
1997 ZJ 

Thank you much for the heads-up and pointers...I'll post back once I resolve the issue...
psychwarfare is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:18 PM   #10055
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Replaced my front drivers side wheel bearing today. Was so simple and easy compared to alot of other people, who have trouble with it. The axle nut came loose an the first try, then used the bolt trick to pop the bearing itself off.

Edit: also my illumination relay in the glove box is buzzing, is there any other relays similar to this one? So I can swap them to see if it's the relay?
roughknight69 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:43 PM   #10056
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

New trans fluid, removed plastic bumper and painted the metal one black, as well as the rad support.
ZJMTL is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:44 PM   #10057
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughknight69 View Post
Replaced my front drivers side wheel bearing today. Was so simple and easy compared to alot of other people, who have trouble with it. The axle nut came loose an the first try, then used the bolt trick to pop the bearing itself off.

Edit: also my illumination relay in the glove box is buzzing, is there any other relays similar to this one? So I can swap them to see if it's the relay?
Did you follow up with a little anti seize for the next time you need to get in there? I did that and it makes getting them back off a breeze.
gabrod72 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:55 PM   #10058
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrod72 View Post
Did you follow up with a little anti seize for the next time you need to get in there? I did that and it makes getting them back off a breeze.

Of Course!

Lathered it on everything I could lol

Hopefully after a few winters, if it needs replaced it will come out just as easy.

(I can hope can't I?)
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #10059
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

I also went with moog instead of timken this time. Due to being able to get the moog for $66 front advance auto
Unread 04-04-2012, 03:58 PM   #10060
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

Pic of my front bumper
Unread 04-04-2012, 04:04 PM   #10061
roughknight69
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMTL View Post
Pic of my front bumper
I like it

any close up pics?
Unread 04-04-2012, 04:08 PM   #10062
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by roughknight69 View Post
I like it

any close up pics?
Will take some good pics with a real camera soon, for now it's in the garage drying
Unread 04-04-2012, 04:21 PM   #10063
pincheburro956
1999 WJ 

Made some rear upppers with some 1" square tubing and some IRO bushing housings. Now my rear pinion angle is good, no more vibes and no more clunks from the old busted bushing..

99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
pincheburro956 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 05:06 PM   #10064
xxxxxxxxranger_1999
1998 ZJ 

Found some more out about my camber being off...apparently they make offset balljoints? And those may resolve the problem ..as well needing to bend my draglink to clear the sway bar mounts..jeez jeep fund is available ..lol
Spending a lot here lately ...

Wondering what this pop is i keep hearing? Now wondering if the stock steering has to go..i will probably go with a beefier tie rod and ends, instead of OTK. I hear some bad things about it and reaming out an already thin ream seems outa the question.
xxxxxxxxranger_1999 is offline   Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Unread 04-04-2012, 05:29 PM   #10065
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Picked up some big boy tires
35/12.5/15 Goodyear MTR Kevlars

Should be a nice upgrade

Headed upto Summit racing either tomorrow or this weekend to pick up a set of soft 8 or d-window wheels for them

Tags
door latch , lift + spacers

Quick Reply

Register Now

In order to be able to post messages on the JeepForum.com forums, you must first register.
Please enter your desired user name, your email address and other required details in the form below.
User Name:
Password
Please enter a password for your user account. Note that passwords are case-sensitive.
Password:
Confirm Password:
Email Address
Please enter a valid e-mail address for yourself.
Note: All free e-mails have been banned due to mis-use. (Yahoo, Gmail, Hotmail, etc.)
Don't have a non-free e-mail address? Click here for a solution: Manual Account Creation
Email Address:

Log-in

Human Verification

In order to verify that you are a human and not a spam bot, please enter the answer into the following box below based on the instructions contained in the graphic.

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.