What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 649 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

FS: 2007-2013 Jeep Wrangler "HALO" Angel Eye KitFlowmaster's Force II Axle-back exhaust system for the 201FS: Wranger BRIGHT License Plate LED! Just $3! Great value

Unread 03-26-2012, 08:28 PM   #9721
BRae_in_a_ZJ
1997 ZJ 

today i literally ripped off rusted shock casings (getting new shocks soon anyways) , tied down a bunch of loose things with zip strips (too many to list lol) , and i raced a honda civic and humiliated him with little effort. hehe

Unread 03-26-2012, 08:46 PM   #9722
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x View Post
Looking damn good. When you mount the shocks be careful to keep them tucked in. Mine hit the calipers at full twist and destroyed the shocks, this is partially why I built mine like this.
I thought about this, I was worried about the bushing getting tore up flexing sideways and such. Is there anything I need to know about mounting them like that, certain angles or anything? Only thing I think I may run into is I have bilsteins (for 4.5" from kolak) and I dunno if they'd be long enough to do that.

Did you just put a piece of angle iron over the support on the body and put tabs on it?

Quote:
Originally Posted by pincheburro956 View Post
first one. Second one looks like a Vietcong soldier hiding in your hood..
And that mad me laugh pretty damn good
Unread 03-26-2012, 08:55 PM   #9723
badbird17x
Web Wheeler

1994 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat

I thought about this, I was worried about the bushing getting tore up flexing sideways and such. Is there anything I need to know about mounting them like that, certain angles or anything? Only thing I think I may run into is I have bilsteins (for 4.5" from kolak) and I dunno if they'd be long enough to do that.

Did you just put a piece of angle iron over the support on the body and put tabs on it?

I'm actually running short shocks. These are +3 which is the other reason I went this way. With the 4 link this is way less flex on the bushings then mounted the stock way. Yes I notched a heavy angle and welded it to the factory crossmember, then I put one side on the bumpstop, other side full droop completely unseating the coil, but I have long coil buckets to keep from dropping them, I then welded the mounts to work with the length of shock I had laying around. Only problem I see with it is that I'm going to give up stability, I'm hoping the front coilovers take up that, if not I'll add more shocks to the rear.
94 jz, bruiser, la, cage,5.3 ls, 36 swampers 98 jz, the mutt, 3.5 iro, 33 swampers, avalanche conversion, 02 north face avalanche blacked out work truck, 06 rhino R1 engine, 4x4, Leeroy's custom paint, 04 escalade wifes truck 22s, 03 duramax 18s, completely blacked out, efilive by nick, wicked wicked truck, 39 chop chevy rod, aluminum 5.3 ls, 08 apex, 310hp mcx turbo, holz 162, completely black, CCM built.
badbird17x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 09:01 PM   #9724
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

I see what you mean, we will see. Shocks will probably be last on the list when I go to put it in so I'll see what fits
Unread 03-26-2012, 09:16 PM   #9725
gabrod72
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat View Post
Thanks, I'll have to look into those for the price.

And I already tore the shields off, I just got the 8.8 painted a few days ago. Needs upper link mounts on the truss, and shock mounts, but I figured it'd be easier once it was under the zj so I could get the positioning dead on.

Here's the skid I made for it, should hold up pretty good
Looking really good there. Seems like you're intentionally placing the lower control arm brackets in a way that will push the axle back a bit. When I build, I was on short arms so I did that intentionally - in order to move axle back a little.

Oh, and I vote for the viet-kong looking hat thing.
gabrod72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-26-2012, 10:23 PM   #9726
pincheburro956
2000 XJ Cherokee 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dyn0mitemat View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrod72 View Post

i guess thats what were calling it now. "The vietcong looking thingy"..

there you go speedbucket.
hat #1 =1vote
Vietcong looking thingy= 1 vote...

99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
pincheburro956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 12:42 AM   #9727
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by badbird17x View Post
I can't believe torx bolts are faster on the assembly line. They just suck. Now for screws for wood and such, best invention yet, but 7/16 bolts come on, how hard is it to use a damn normal bolt?
Torx bolts are not any faster on the assembly line,and they don't stay on the bit good ether. Almost all sockets and bits we used have magnets in them.
For screws ,torx are better and faster.
For bolts It's just stupid

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:49 AM   #9728
blackzj97
1997 ZJ 

Took the check engine light bulb out of the gage cluster since theres no way around getting the dang check engine light off after putting the 5speed in. just have to have to get it scaned every month or so to make sure no extra codes pop up cause I might not realize it since theres no bulb there anymore lol and oh yeah, I was wondering if there was anyone around Racine, Wisconsin on here with a 5speed Grand cherokee ZJ or in wisconsin. If so, I would really love to come check it out and they could check out mine, please let me know. Ive only seen two in person that were stock from the factory. Thank you all, send me a message if you do for my number, again thankyou and i'd appreciate it alot

Max.

Last edited by blackzj97; 03-27-2012 at 04:02 AM..
blackzj97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 06:55 AM   #9729
TRAVASS
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackzj97
Took the check engine light bulb out of the gage cluster since theres no way around getting the dang check engine light off after putting the 5speed in. just have to have to get it scaned every month or so to make sure no extra codes pop up cause I might not realize it since theres no bulb there anymore lol and oh yeah, I was wondering if there was anyone around Racine, Wisconsin on here with a 5speed Grand cherokee ZJ or in wisconsin. If so, I would really love to come check it out and they could check out mine, please let me know. Ive only seen two in person that were stock from the factory. Thank you all, send me a message if you do for my number, again thankyou and i'd appreciate it alot

Max.
Your inbox seems to be full and you can't receive any PMs...

I have an auto but I would love to see that one day. I'm in milwaukee. That would def be something I'd be interested in doing someday. How do you like it so far?
TRAVASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:16 AM   #9730
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by pincheburro956 View Post
i guess thats what were calling it now. "The vietcong looking thingy"..

there you go speedbucket.
hat #1 =1vote
Vietcong looking thingy= 1 vote...
Hahah. The Kong hat is growing on me a little
Unread 03-27-2012, 07:30 AM   #9731
TRAVASS
1996 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket

Hahah. The Kong hat is growing on me a little
I agree, I'm digging the kong hat as well...
TRAVASS is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 10:47 AM   #9732
Dyn0mitemat
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by gabrod72 View Post
Looking really good there. Seems like you're intentionally placing the lower control arm brackets in a way that will push the axle back a bit. When I build, I was on short arms so I did that intentionally - in order to move axle back a little.

Pushing the axle back with the brackets wasn't what I was going for. I bought all of the huge rock krawler joints for the arms, I had to give them enough room to move without hitting the axle tubes. I did go out of the way to make them higher so they don't hang down. Im planning on moving the axle back 1.5", but that will be with the arms
Unread 03-27-2012, 11:08 AM   #9733
pincheburro956
2000 XJ Cherokee 

got this today. Fed Ex guy must be a very "desired to see" person. upper cont arms will be in progress.

99 WJ, 2" BB, 245/75/16 Falken Rocky Mountain ATS.
pincheburro956 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 02:03 PM   #9734
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

I drove it today to go and see if my new phone was in. It was. So, as promised, here's a pic of my newly painted black wheels. I'm debating on white letters in or out when I get new tires. I think I like the white letters out because it matches with my collection of stickers as well as the badging, that I don't plan on blacking out.

ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #9735
ZJMTL
1996 ZJ 

White out!!! Your Jeep is clean as hell btw!
ZJMTL is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.