Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  chetzar 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#12,202 ·
SchizophrenicMC said:
Sucks that you have to sell it....

Of course, I'm torn about selling mine. I want a YJ, but damn if I'm not in love with my ZJ.
Why not have both?
I found one fairly priced to drive while I did an engine swap in my ZJ a couple months ago. PO included a clutch thinking that was the issue, but during my test drive I noticed grinding from the rear. I could move the driveshaft in circles. He came off $1k on the price. Turned out to be an outer pinion bearing. I replaced it for about $50 including fluids.

Here's some pics of the ZJ engine swap. I'm no mechanic, this was my first engine swap (and probably the last) and it took me right at 1 month.

I had just under 315,000 miles when the #2 piston skirt broke. Swapped in an engine from a '99 XJ with a youthful 186,000 miles. Only $300 bucks. She runs like a champ again. I just couldn't see parting out the ZJ, i thought about it for about 5 seconds.

Edit: just looked at my post and that 1st pic of a ZJ isn't mine, just one from off here for an idea to cut front bumper. Added another pic of YJ with ZJ behind it in the garage...mid engine swap.

Attachments

#12,203 ·
How hard is it to take the front bumper off? I'm getting ready to put on my front tow hooks.
To get it off, remove the grille, corner lamps, and signal lamps. Disconnect the three push pins under where the grille would be. Disconnect the clips in the wheel wells. There are then three clips underneath as well. Once these are removed, lift the cover over the retaining clips under the headlights. There is one on each side. If you don't lift it, the bumper cover will break and may sit funny when reinstalled. Pull the bumper cover straight forward. Some people say it's a two person job. I've done it by myself multiple times without headache. When you're putting the bumper cover back on, you're a better man than I if you can get the bottom three holes to line up for the clips. I'd say 90 something percent of us replaced those with zip ties. The clips in the wheel wells are also a PITA to get back into place.

#12,204 ·
Why not have both?
Because, in the year I've been looking, prices on YJs in even scheiße condition haven't dropped below $3500, and the only way I'm making that up with my income is to sell the ZJ for $3000, which would be tough but not impossible in Dallas.

I mean, if I could find a YJ for cheap... But even a beat-up carbed 2.5 YJ'll set me back way too much. (Course, the only Jeep I've ever wanted more than a ZJ is a YJ...)

#12,205 ·
SchizophrenicMC said:
Because, in the year I've been looking, prices on YJs in even scheiße condition haven't dropped below $3500, and the only way I'm making that up with my income is to sell the ZJ for $3000, which would be tough but not impossible in Dallas.

I mean, if I could find a YJ for cheap... But even a beat-up carbed 2.5 YJ'll set me back way too much. (Course, the only Jeep I've ever wanted more than a ZJ is a YJ...)
I've noticed yjs in dfw seem to go for a lot more than most other places. When I lived in Pennsylvania you could usually find enough loose change in your couch to pick up a yj

#12,206 ·
I've noticed yjs in dfw seem to go for a lot more than most other places. When I lived in Pennsylvania you could usually find enough loose change in your couch to pick up a yj
To be quite honest, everything goes for a lot more in DFW. Except ZJs. ZJs go way cheap here. Because there're so many and none of them are 4x4s. (Even mine was originally from Massachusetts)

#12,208 ·
richman10302 said:
What a f'n pain in the nuts..literally,found 2 stripped rounded off lugnuts on 2 tires had to chisel the sob's off and replace the wheel studs...now its break time

Sent from my DROIDX using JeepForum
Mine are the same way. I just don't feel like screwin with it right now

#12,209 ·
What a f'n pain in the nuts..literally,found 2 stripped rounded off lugnuts on 2 tires had to chisel the sob's off and replace the wheel studs...now its break time

View attachment 410943

Sent from my DROIDX using JeepForum
Curiously, the people at Discount Tire keep telling me I need to replace the lug nut caps, or else something bad will happen, such as them rusting out and my wheel flying in a different direction. True or false?

I'm not sure if this pertains to the picture, but I was curious if you have them on your lug nuts?

#12,210 ·
Curiously, the people at Discount Tire keep telling me I need to replace the lug nut caps, or else something bad will happen, such as them rusting out and my wheel flying in a different direction. True or false?

I'm not sure if this pertains to the picture, but I was curious if you have them on your lug nuts?
False. Generally speaking, if Discount Tire tells you something, they're lying and trying to sell you stuff you don't need, but in this instance, even if the caps kept water out (they don't), the lug nuts are galvanized, and the studs rust from the hubs out anyway. We haven't had the caps on the GMC for years, and they still spin right off.

In any case, most of the time, your stuff will rust until it locks up, and the nut won't come off at all, unless you're in severe conditions that'll tear up your studs anyway.

EDIT:
I mean, Discount Tire told me I had 5x6.5" wheels on my 5x4.5" Jeep, and they couldn't do my tires unless I bought new wheels and tires. That's ridiculous.

#12,211 ·
False. Generally speaking, if Discount Tire tells you something, they're lying and trying to sell you stuff you don't need, but in this instance, even if the caps kept water out (they don't), the lug nuts are galvanized, and the studs rust from the hubs out anyway. We haven't had the caps on the GMC for years, and they still spin right off.

In any case, most of the time, your stuff will rust until it locks up, and the nut won't come off at all, unless you're in severe conditions that'll tear up your studs anyway.

EDIT:
I mean, Discount Tire told me I had 5x6.5" wheels on my 5x4.5" Jeep, and they couldn't do my tires unless I bought new wheels and tires. That's ridiculous.
Good to know, every time I get my tires rotated, they write on the receipt that I need new lug nuts/caps and then underline it.
:thumbsup:

#12,215 ·
I officially put it up for sale on Craigslist today. I'll get a thread here in the classifieds as well for it. I'm going to miss it... :(

I do, however, have a dealer actively searching for an 06 KJ Renegade in any color without leather. The guy was able to find a 3 but all were wrecked. I'd also like to find one with a 242, but most have a 231. I figured the 242 would be better for my wife in the winter - Pull it into full time and forget about it.

#12,217 ·
Ran Moab Rim trail today big-time tippy spots, but amazing view of town from the top.

Sky Mountain Plant Natural environment Cloud

No action shots on the phone, but we'll go through the 300+ pics soon.

Sent from my iPhone using JeepForum

#12,218 ·
Put in windshield washer fluid today to make the windshield on the computer screen not flash at me.

I also drove it for the first time since I bought it. I noticed that the speedometer (and hence also the odometer) does not work. The speedo did work a couple times for a very short distance, so I'm not really sure why it's only working intermittently.

The computer screen also is showing that I have a rear lamp failure, but all of the lights work, the blinkers work, the brake lights work, and I'm not low on blinker fluid. WTF? :\

#12,220 ·
Put in windshield washer fluid today to make the windshield on the computer screen not flash at me.

I also drove it for the first time since I bought it. I noticed that the speedometer (and hence also the odometer) does not work. The speedo did work a couple times for a very short distance, so I'm not really sure why it's only working intermittently.

The computer screen also is showing that I have a rear lamp failure, but all of the lights work, the blinkers work, the brake lights work, and I'm not low on blinker fluid. WTF? :\
Congratulations, you've just met the VIC!