What did you do to your ZJ today? - Page 580 - JeepForum.com
Search  
User: Pass: Remember?
Advertise Here
Jeep Home Jeep Forum Jeep Classifieds Jeep Registry JeepSpace Jeep Reviews Jeep Gallery Jeep Clubs Jeep Groups Jeep Videos Jeep Events Jeep Articles
Go Back JeepForum.com > Models > Jeep Grand Cherokee & Commander Forums > ZJ Grand Cherokee Forum > What did you do to your ZJ today?

Introducing MONSTALINER™ UV Permanent DIY Roll On Bed LineToxic Brakes - 3000 PSI Braided Stainless Steel Brake LineCess Recovery Gear Snatch Tow Strap OffRoad @ ROCKRIDGE4WD

Unread 02-27-2012, 11:12 PM   #8686
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Did a complete brake job, pads/rotors/calipers all around. $25 a caliper, and the old ones probably hadn't been touched in the last 6 years or so. (Bleeders rusted solid.) Advantage is that it took me less then 3 hours from wheels off to wheels on, I know that if I'd tried to yank the old bleeders much cursing an time wasting would have occurred.

Can't say I stop any sooner, but its nice knowing that the brakes are in good condition with plenty of material on em.

Now to order the parts for my parking brake... I'm really looking forward to that since the shoes have no friction material left, and everything is rusted solid.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.

Last edited by TheHalfWit; 02-28-2012 at 01:42 AM.. Reason: fixed the wording a bit
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 11:59 PM   #8687
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHalfWit View Post
Did a complete brake job, pads/rotors/calipers all around. $25 a caliper, and the old ones probably hadn't been touched in the last 6 years or so. (Bleeders rusted solid.) Advantage is that it took me less then 3 hours from wheels off to wheels on, I know that if I'd tried to yank the old bleeders much cursing an time wasting would have occurred.

Can't say I stop any sooner, but its nice knowing that the brakes are in good condition with plenty of material on em.

Now to order the parts for my parking brake... I'm really looking forward to that since the current shoes on it are nonexistant, and everything looks rusted solid.
You mean the shoes are gone, not there ?
If all the parts are there, take them off, if you cant get the cam and levers out ,zip tie them for now.
If e brake parts ,break, come apart ,can screw stuff up, like ABS sensor and your new parts

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 01:41 AM   #8688
TheHalfWit
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by hdrocknroll View Post
You mean the shoes are gone, not there ?
If all the parts are there, take them off, if you cant get the cam and levers out ,zip tie them for now.
If e brake parts ,break, come apart ,can screw stuff up, like ABS sensor and your new parts
I didn't touch the parking brake, and its been non-functional for the last 8 years. I doubt that swapping the rotor is going to cause it to sprang apart when its been rusted solid for years. I got my terminology wrong, where the friction material should be is rust with no hint of friction material. Since the old rotor had a nice a nice rust belt where the inner drum should be the two don't touch, so I wasn't going to mess with it without the parts to replace it.

The shoes are present and accounted for, any friction material however has left this world years ago.

If a week goes by without needing to replace something, pinch me because I must be dreaming.
TheHalfWit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 02:26 AM   #8689
hdrocknroll
1995 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheHalfWit View Post
I didn't touch the parking brake, and its been non-functional for the last 8 years. I doubt that swapping the rotor is going to cause it to sprang apart when its been rusted solid for years. I got my terminology wrong, where the friction material should be is rust with no hint of friction material. Since the old rotor had a nice a nice rust belt where the inner drum should be the two don't touch, so I wasn't going to mess with it without the parts to replace it.

The shoes are present and accounted for, any friction material however has left this world years ago.
Your call

Watch Out For The Air Hose Gone Wild!! Or Wear A Cup,: True Story

[QUOTE=rooster51;13297693] Whats the worse that can happen? Your jeeps already broke.

[/QUOTE]
hdrocknroll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 02:58 AM   #8690
blackzj97
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ZJMTL View Post
Hahahaha you guys make me laugh with your Nickelback stuff.

I would never dream of living in Alaska, but I must admit that life there looks awesome in many ways.

Most of the snow is gone, but here is my ZJ having some fun in a small snowbank

Like the amber turn signals!
blackzj97 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 05:50 AM   #8691
RTQL8
1999 WJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
Is a non-factory installed seat even legal? I'm just wondering. And you should see if a tj rear seat will fit. Just get the brackets from a jy or something and bolt them down.
IDK about states with inspections, but i know here in Florida, if the seat is firmly bolted down, and has properly working seatbelts, its legal.
RTQL8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 06:55 AM   #8692
Kirk595x
1997 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by 98xjguy

IDK about states with inspections, but i know here in Florida, if the seat is firmly bolted down, and has properly working seatbelts, its legal.
I'm in California and as long as it's bolted down and has seat belts your legal. I'm sure that will change in this communist state of Gov. Jerry Brown!!
Kirk595x is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:39 AM   #8693
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtenor4 View Post
Not today, I guess... but yesterday (Sunday), I replaced both front axle shafts. Just got new tires (my 2nd set of Pirelli Scorpion ATRs - love that tread), and when I had them mounted & balanced, the shop mentioned both of my CV boots were completely ripped up (somehow I didn't notice that when I did a full brake hardware job a month or two ago... ). Shop quoted me ~$600 for parts & labor. I did it for $120 parts

... then again, it also took me about 8-10 hours (from starting lifting it to cleanup being complete, and including a couple of breaks), mostly because it took 4-6 hours to get the @#*@#*@# hub assemblies off the steering knuckles, since both they - and the bolts that held them in - had rusted solid. Thanks to PB Blaster, a BFH, combination wrenches, and finally a hub puller, I got them out.

Man, it's satisfying to finally get a job like that done, but boy was I pissed about 2/3 of the way through (before I was certain I was gonna be able to get them out)...

once you have the three bolts out just thread the front one in a good bit and put a socket extension between the socket and innerC at the tube.
turn steering wheel
instant press and the hub will pop out

Quote:
Originally Posted by Freestyle713 View Post
Is a non-factory installed seat even legal? I'm just wondering. And you should see if a tj rear seat will fit. Just get the brackets from a jy or something and bolt them down.
you can legally ride in the back of a pickup truck as long as you're sitting in the bottom of the bed.
seat belt safety would be the problem there
Unread 02-28-2012, 08:47 AM   #8694
ejschultz
Web Wheeler

1997 ZJ 

In Indiana, as long as your in front of the rear axle, you can ride in a bed. At least that's how it used to be.
ejschultz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:08 AM   #8695
squazz
Web Wheeler
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by ejschultz View Post
In Indiana, as long as your in front of the rear axle, you can ride in a bed. At least that's how it used to be.
PA only ride in the bed of a pickup @ speed 35mph and under even if you have seats bolted in with seat belts as i did in my old low rider, I asked what about the Subaru Brat "oh thats illegal in PA" damn Commonwealth Laws
squazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:11 AM   #8696
TMNT2210
1995 YJ Wrangler 

Did some flexing this weekend

image-4208924939.jpg

image-2460407734.jpg

image-3812870560.jpg

image-1122108530.jpg

If you don't know what a ZJ is- you can't afford it! -Beerfest
"cowabunga!!!" -TMNT
TMNT2210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 09:25 AM   #8697
tjtenor4
1998 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by speedbucket View Post

once you have the three bolts out just thread the front one in a good bit and put a socket extension between the socket and innerC at the tube.
turn steering wheel
instant press and the hub will pop out
Yeah, I tried that. It didn't work; all it accomplished was causing my power steering fluid to pop and spray out the cap from the hydraulic pressure. I figured I didn't want to cause any MORE problems (I am PRETTY sure that's the only place it leaked from; if I blew out a seal, looks like I'm doing another job THIS weekend), so I stopped and got the hub puller... the driver's side hub came off nicely with the puller; the passenger side assembly split into two, exposing the ball bearings, and I had to then connect the puller to two out of the three bolts (threaded backwards into the hub) and crank it way, way down before it FINALLY popped off. I was able to put the hub assembly back together (and VERY careful not to get any dirt into the wheel bearings), so I re-used it instead of buying a new one. I'll check it next time I rotate the tires; if there are any signs of wear / junk in the bearings, I'll replace it.
tjtenor4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:43 AM   #8698
speedbucket
1993 ZJ 

Quote:
Originally Posted by tjtenor4 View Post
Yeah, I tried that. It didn't work; all it accomplished was causing my power steering fluid to pop and spray out the cap from the hydraulic pressure. I figured I didn't want to cause any MORE problems (I am PRETTY sure that's the only place it leaked from; if I blew out a seal, looks like I'm doing another job THIS weekend), so I stopped and got the hub puller... the driver's side hub came off nicely with the puller; the passenger side assembly split into two, exposing the ball bearings, and I had to then connect the puller to two out of the three bolts (threaded backwards into the hub) and crank it way, way down before it FINALLY popped off. I was able to put the hub assembly back together (and VERY careful not to get any dirt into the wheel bearings), so I re-used it instead of buying a new one. I'll check it next time I rotate the tires; if there are any signs of wear / junk in the bearings, I'll replace it.
Just go ahead and get a new hub. Its a factory pressed assembly. and as a rule of thumb, if it splits then get a new one.
OT:
I ordered two different caps for my Hummer style snorkel, well see which one makes the most sense when they get here!
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:47 AM   #8699
samsonitesamson
1995 ZJ 

picked up a 99+ intake and neon injectors all for $75, and I didn't even have to pull them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bnabb View Post
it bolted right up, except one bolt but i didn't need it anyway
samsonitesamson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 10:54 AM   #8700
98zjkidd
1998 ZJ 

Trans started slipping so threw in some lucas,hope that helps for a little till I can get the last few parts for the 5speed swap
98zjkidd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
door latch

Suggested Threads

Jeep, Wrangler, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, and other models are copyrighted and trademarked to Jeep/Chrysler Corporation. JeepForum.com is not in any way associated with Jeep or the Chrysler Corp.