Jeep Enthusiast Forums banner

What did you do to your ZJ today?

4M views 55K replies 2K participants last post by  98ZJ 
#1 ·
This thread is to serve as an inspiration to others modifying their ZJ's. Pretty simple, just post what you did to your ZJ today!

Today I shamefully took my Jeep to get the oil changed because it was to hot to change it myself.

#11,361 ·
im thinking of putting a drain plug in my tranny pan while im doing the gasket, filter and fluid.
any body ever do a drain plug in the pan??
i went to auto zone and picked up a regular oil drain plug. then i picked up a matching nut, I used M12x1.75. drilled the hole in the pan, welded the nut on the inside, and then just install the plug. preety easy if you have a descent welder. takes about 30 min..

#11,362 ·
I jacked it up to see why it's got a death wobble.

Looking in there, I guess I need new bump stops and shocks, but the brakes were actually great, to my surprise. Would have imagined they'd be warped or worn, but not so. In fact the hub bolt is so rusted-on, it's probably all original under there, except the shocks.

And I found out what's causing the death wobble:

That, and the wheel looks like someone took an angle grinder willy-nilly to the back of it, and the edge of the tread is starting to disintegrate. Faulty tire mounted on a damaged rim. If only I hadn't deleted the PO's phone number. I suppose, with some searching, I could find it, but I'm pursuing this. That tire's barely a month and a half old, it shouldn't be coming un****ed so quick.

#11,363 ·
#11,366 ·
You only lose a 1/2 quart or less of fluid (generally no more than a 1/4 quart) when you open up the tranny cooler lines. You don't have to drain it.

You do have to drain the PS fluid to do that cooler install though.
I meant the temp sensor in the pan, sorry. Not going into that again until I need to; I hate trans work (I'll probably throw in a drain plug when I do it though). I'm going in the morning to pick up the beefier trans cooler (and some tubing, and a bunch of PS fluid), then swapping it out with the stock, which will be converted to a PS cooler. All while flushing the radiator and swapping out the original water pump and thermostat for new models. Not sure what to do first, but I'll work out a dependencies list in the morning.

#11,367 ·
swapped the knuckle on the 94 for one that aint ****ed up

put new front brakes on it

scored a aurua tag/reverse lights

and bled the brakes on the 93 and got it moving under its own power for the first time since 2/25. Alignment front DS, install shocks, install limiting straps,bumpstops and state inspection and im ready to wheel again

drank a few to celebrate

#11,368 ·
The white lithium grease comes in aerosol cans and lasts a lot longer than WD40. Either works but the lithium is better.
thats what i use on my heims to keep them fresh
My wife doesn't like anything about mine. It's too big, it rides too rough, it's too loud, it's too dirty, there's too many stickers, the windows are too dark, I spend too much time with it... The list goes on.
that why mine has her own JEEP :rtft:

#11,369 ·
WD-40 is a Water Displacer - not a lubricant.

It excels at attracting dust and dirt, thereby making you have to add more and more.

Use white lithium grease, silicone spray, etc. Those are lubricants

#11,370 ·
WD-40 is a Water Displacer - not a lubricant.

It excels at attracting dust and dirt, thereby making you have to add more and more.

Use white lithium grease, silicone spray, etc. Those are lubricants

Sometimes, there's adequate lubricant present, but a stuck mechanism, regardless, preventing the lubricant from doing its job. For example, my garage door locks. Used to be I'd have to manually set them, fighting against the nails-on-chalkboard. Sprayed some WD40 in there, loosened right up. Been using them for the last 4 or 5 years like that.

WD40 is dirt cheap, so I usually try and unstick a mechanism with it first, and if it remains unstuck, great. If not, then I use more expensive lubricant sprays.

#11,373 ·
wd-40 is a pretty good cleaner. If something is gunked up with nasty old grease, some wd-40 will usually rinse it clean and make way for new lube to be applied.
x2

#11,377 ·
E-rok said:
gotta atleast paint those wheels black or something lol
We shall see. Lol

#11,378 ·
Rebuilt my winch mount and painted the headlights.

Attachments

#11,380 ·
I also figured out the fire problem when pulling out an irrigator today. Left motor mount shore two bolts then broke in half.